Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Update: Green/McGinnis Commits)

The 2015 class is shaping up as one of the better classes in a while, and if Stoops and staff finish the way they typically do then it's only going to get better. I've put together a short rundown of the final targets remaining and what I think the chances are of getting commits from the remaining recruits:

Offense:

Van Jefferson
    Wide Receiver
    6' 2.5" 180 lbs
    Brentwood, TN
    Ravenwood High School

Recently decommitted to Georgia

Rivals: 4 star
    Scout: 4 star
    ESPN: 4 star
    247 Sports: 4 star

Jefferson has been a long time Georgia commit, but his name started being mentioned (in relation to OU) about a month ago. There wasn't much being discussed other than a potential visit prior to National Signing Day. That visit happened January 16th as Jefferson made an official visit to Norman. Things must have gone exceptionally well as Jefferson has since decommitted from Georgia and the word is he'll commit to OU. This would be a surprise flip and could be the first recruit to be drawn to OU because of newly hired OC Lincoln Riley. Nothing is official until signing day, but it looks good for the Sooners.

My prediction: Updated 1/25 Ole Miss

Actual: Ole Miss (Committed 1/25/2015)

Defense:

Nate Dalton
    Safety
    6'3" 195 lbs
    Houston, TX
    Cypress Falls High School

Rivals: 3 star
    Scout: 2 star
    ESPN: 2 star
    247 Sports: 3 star

Nate Dalton was a late defensive back offer for the Sooners, but OU looked to be in a good position after his December 5th visit. Dalton would be the 6th defensive back the Sooners would take in this class, but things have dropped off in his recruiting. Dalton released a top and OU was not among them. In a strange twist, Dalton's final four are Kentucky, Michigan, Arkansas and Liberty. The strange part being the inclusion of Liberty. At this point, it appears OU is out of contention for the Houston safety.

My Prediction:
    Arkansas

Actual: Arkansas (Committed 1/22/2015)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: 2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Last update: 1/20/2015)

The Van Jefferson pick up should be a really nice get. The kid is an NFL wide receiver coaches son if what I read is correct. I'm guessing/hoping his football IQ is a bit more advanced than some of the other kids. If that's the case perhaps he'll be able to contribute quickly.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

What's your take on Josh Smith?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    From what I'm seeing, we're in the driver's seat. But apparently he is unlikely to commit to OU prior to signing day. I guess we'll see.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I'm not very convinced he's a reality. He still hasn't taken a visit to Norman. That wouldn't bother me if he were a Texas kid, but he's from Tennessee. Unless that changes, I just think we're on the outside looking in. There is word that he's supposed to be in Norman in the next week or two, but nothing is official and it's one of those things that I'll believe it when I see it. Then there's the location issue that will be tough to overcome. I think a big part of his interest in Vandy was because of location (and obviously the quality of education).

Personally, I think we should have been all over this kid from day one. He's an incredible athlete, and he's smart. We may have been too late to the party, but until he's made an announcement anything's possible. My gut feeling is that he won't end up at OU, sadly.

Administrator
    vCash

Couple more for today:

Arthur McGinnis
    Middle Linebacker
    6'2" 228 lbs
    New Orleans, LA
    Warren Easton Charter School

ESPN: 3 star
    247 Sports: 3 star

With no middle linebackers committed in this class, and the board growing thin, McGinnis may be the best chance OU has at landing a quality MLB in this class. Early in the fall it appeared McGinnis was as interested in OU as the Sooners were in him, but after 2 attempts to schedule an official visit never materialized, it started to feel like McGinnis and/or OU has lost interest. If that was the case, things have seemingly changed as McGinnis is scheduled to be in Norman at the end of January. We are razor thin at MLB, and with Josh Smith being a complete unknown (as far as where things stand between he and OU), McGinnis becomes one of the more important recruits late in the cycle.

My prediction: Oklahoma (50%)

Josh Wariboko
    Offensive Guard
    6'3" 305 lbs
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Casady High School

ESPN: 4 star
    247 Sports: 4 star

The one-time OU commit has been hard to read over the last year. At one point (at the beginning of the season) it appeared that OU and Wariboko were done, and both were going their separate ways. It seemed that Wariboko was only going to play for a school that also offered his brother (high school junior CB Max). Louisville and UCLA offered both and seemed to be in the lead. Over the past couple of months it feels like OU has put in their work and gotten themselves back in position for Wariboko. At this point it feels like it's a neck and neck race between OU and UCLA. I think (hope) OU's location wins out in the end.

My prediction: Oklahoma (75%)

Administrator
    vCash

Just as I suspected, Nate Dalton committed to Arkansas today. I would have been more surprised had he ended up at OU.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, and I'm not trying to knock the kid, but the offer seemed odd to begin with and I think he would have ended up being a special teams guy anyway.

Mini-Update

Anthony McKee was *this* close to committing to OU at one time (shortly after his official visit during the season), but he wanted to wait and take all of his official visits. McKee is from Michigan, and many assumed OU's main competition for his commitment was Michigan State. Turns out neither will get the outside linebacker. McKee committed to Pittsburgh today.

There's more to this story than I know. McKee was seemed very 'dead-set' on choosing between OU and Michigan State, and had been vocal about those two. Somehow, he ends up at Pitt. Just seems odd. I'm hearing that Michigan State either pulled his offer or filled his spot, which makes me think OU backed away too. I haven't heard of any of the coaches contacting or visiting him in the past month or so, which leads me to that conclusion.

Whatever the case with McKee, time is running out for OU to get linebackers in this class.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: 2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Last update: 1/22/2015)

Seems like they dropped the ball on Dwaine Thomas. Good prospect I think, but he's an aggie now.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Our LB's were weak last year, we're losing one our best ones, we use 4 instead of 3, and we only have one LB recruit at this point? I have no idea why we're waiting until NSD to fire Kish. I also hope we're switching to a 4 man front, because I wouldn't even have hope for Leavitt or Venables to consistently get 4 deserving LB's out on the field with this group.

vCash

Saw on ESPN that OUr recruiting class ranked #17 nationally and second in the
    BIG XII behind the Whorns....almost all the SEC ranked ahead of us, including
    TN (next year they'll be tought) Bama (#1) has 20 of ESPN's Top 300 in their
    class for 2015. Usually, rankings don't mean much, except Bama keeps on
    keeping on......

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Saw on ESPN that OUr recruiting class ranked #17 nationally and second in the
    BIG XII behind the Whorns....almost all the SEC ranked ahead of us, including
    TN (next year they'll be tought) Bama (#1) has 20 of ESPN's Top 300 in their
    class for 2015. Usually, rankings don't mean much, except Bama keeps on
    keeping on......
    I don't pay much attention to the recruiting rankings, as it gives favor to those with more overall recruits. I usually go to Rivals, and then arrange it to show by average star rating. That puts us at 9th overall, which is above the Horns, Aggies, and others. A&M has 24 commits, and Texas has 23, while we only have 19.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I don't pay much attention to the recruiting rankings, as it gives favor to those with more overall recruits. I usually go to Rivals, and then arrange it to show by average star rating. That puts us at 9th overall, which is above the Horns, Aggies, and others. A&M has 24 commits, and Texas has 23, while we only have 19.
    Welp, for someone who doesn't pay much attention to the rankings you sure have
    figgered somethin' out....

Administrator
    vCash

Friday, January 23rd update:

Not much to report today, but there are a couple of noteworthy things:

• MLB Josh Smith will be in Norman this weekend for his official visit. Needless to say, we really need to 'wow' the kid this weekend. He's one of the last MLB that OU has a legitimate shot at landing, but they'll need to really impress him if they want to flip him from Vanderbilt. Not sure who's hosting him, but if I see any news this weekend, I'll post it here. EDIT: Apparently Smith is NOT going to be in Norman this weekend. Not sure what the reason is/was, but there is a rumor that he has rescheduled. The longer he goes without a visit, the more I am convinced he's not coming to OU.
    • The other big name MLB prospect the Sooners are after, Arthur McGinnis, will be in Lubbock this weekend for a visit to Texas Tech. He was in Tuscon at U of A last weekend (and had a "great" visit), and is scheduled to be in Norman next weekend for his official visit to OU.
    • WR Ryan Newsome, a longtime OU prospect, has committed to UCLA. This was kind of a shock as Texas was considerd the favorite for a while. I don't know if Norvell being hired at Texas changed anything for Newsome, but it could have.
    • Samaje Perine was the host for WR Van Jefferson on his visit to Norman last weekend. I can't think of a better guy to host a recruit...talk about selling the opportunity with hard work...Perine is the right guy. Let's hope it sealed the deal. Not sure when Jefferson will announce, but landing Jefferson could help get Josh Smith too. Apparently, the two have become close.

No other recruits are scheduled to be in Norman this weekend (so it should be a really good visit for Josh Smith). So, there's probably not going to be a lot to report, but if anything pops up, you can check here for the updates.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash
    Awesome. Add always thanks for the updates 8time.

Administrator
    vCash

Van Jefferson Update (Sunday January 25)

I am hearing that Jefferson is going to commit to Ole Miss. He took his official visit there this weekend, and apparently it went really well. I felt like we got in on him too late in the process, but it seemed like we had a good shot. I guess that's what happens when 18 year old kids are being treated like Kings. Once again Ole Miss attracts a high profile player...at this point, I have to assume Ole Miss is paying kids to go there. Of course that's pure speculation on my part, but even last year, when they started the season undefeated, they didn't even win their conference. Why are big time recruits continuing to go there?!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: 2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Van Jefferson update: 1/25/2015)

We are really looking like we'll close out with a thud.

Administrator
    vCash

Things are fluid in the race to land Jefferson. Some are reporting that he's Ole Miss bound while others still have OU in the hunt.

We're not going to know much of anything until he actually commits.

Administrator
    vCash

Van Jefferson committed to Ole Miss.

⚡️Van Jefferson⚡️ @Vj2kAllDay · 53m53 minutes ago

I have officially committed to The University of Mississippi. I want to thank my family, friends, and God through this process. #HottyToddy

Administrator
    vCash

UPDATE: Monday January 26

Not a good weekend for OU with the loss of Jefferson, Josh Smith cancelling his visit and DaiShon Neal reaffirming his commitment to Nebraska. The truth is OU was late getting in on all three of those recruits, so it does sting to lose them but it's not the end of the world.

Today, the Sooners offered Dallas (Skyline High School) WR A.D. Miller and coaches Gundy and Riley made an in-home visit. It must have at least made Miller interested as he has scheduled an official visit for this weekend. Miller is considered a 3 star recruit by all of the services.

Being the last remaining weekend for recruits to visit, the Sooners will host Miller and LB Arthur McGinnis this weekend. Hopefully McGinnis will have a great trip and the Sooners can land another LB.

Administrator
    vCash

UPDATE: January 28

As you may or may not know, OU has offered Westmoore WR Dahu Green. Green was originally committed to Louisville, but flipped to Washington State after Leach made a hard charge for him. It took the Sooners a long time to make the offer, but Green doesn't seem to be upset about that and is scheduled to visit this weekend. Personally, I think he'll be a Sooner, however, I think he's torn right now because of the way Leach has recruited him. In the end, I think he wants to stay close to home and Norman is just a tad closer than Pullman.

The only other 'update' to report is that Louisiana LB Arthur McGinnis is still confirmed for this weekend's visits to Norman. Given the current situation at LB, it's very clear this is one of the more important visits for the year.