Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: 2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Van Jefferson update: 1/25/2015)

It's about time we offered Dahu.

Administrator
    vCash

Update Friday, January 30

Crazy week ahead for the Sooners. Here's a breakdown of the top remaining targets and where OU stands:

Note: Currently, OU is sitting on 20 commits. The thinking is that Stoops wants a total of 25 for this class (with the possibility of 26). That leaves 5-6 remaining spots.

• This weekend's confirmed visitors: LB Arthur McGinnis, WR Dahu Green, WR AD Miller, OG Josh Wariboko. Having Green and Miller on campus is nice, but the final WR spot (or spots) aren't going to make or break this class. The big targets are McGinnis and Wariboko.
    • There's been some rumbling about a few players committed elsewhere that OU could possibly flip before signing day. There are 3 guys that I believe OU still stands a chance to land for the 2015 class:

1. WR Ryan Newsome (Aledo, TX.) - Currently committed to UCLA (since last weekend), Bob Stoops made an in-home visit with Newsome last Tuesday (after he had committed to UCLA). The Sooners have gone "all-in" for Newsome the past couple of weeks with in-home visits from Stoops, Gundy and Riley. Newsome was quoted as saying Riley "has a plan" for him. This was said after he committed to UCLA, so you could read in to that statement that he's still open to OU. Personally, I think this is a long shot and Newsome stays with UCLA, but crazier things have happened.
    2. ATH Mike Hughes (New Bern, NC) - Hughes was a one time East Carolina prospect who has a solid relationship with Lincoln Riley. Hughes moved to Chappell Hill to be a mid-year enrollee for the Heels, but something happened that changed that. Within two weeks, Hughes was back at home. Officially, he's still committed to UNC, and he may very well end up there, but given his relationship with Riley and his departure from what was supposed to be an early enrollment situation, things have gotten interesting. It's also possible that he is in Norman this weekend for an official visits (I have no inside knowledge, but it would make sense). Hughes is a 4 star athlete that can play WR, DB or even QB. The Sooners could certainly find a spot for a guy like that.
    3. LB Anthony Wheeler (Dallas, TX.) - For a long time, Wheeler was considered a heavy OU lean, but that all changed and he committed to Texas at the Under Armour high school all star game. On Twitter, Wheeler sounds fully committed, but there is a rumor that he's not 100%. After his visit to Texas, he may have realized that the depth chart is deep at linebacker, and he stands a much better shot at playing early in Norman. He has a great relationship with the OU staff, and is familiar with the school, so the if the pieces fall into place, he could be flipped.

Of course all three of these guys could end up staying with their current commitment, but it wouldn't surprise me if any (or all) of them flip to OU. Stoops isn't known for pressing recruits to commit, and OU almost always finishes the cycle strong. With just under a week left to NSD, now is the time to make the big moves.

With 5 or 6 spots left, this are going to be crazy this week. If any "breaking" news happens over the weekend, I'll post my thoughts here. Otherwise, I hope to update the class commitment list soon!

Administrator
    vCash

Interesting development. As I mentioned above, OG Josh Wariboko is in Norman this weekend (he's close with Dahu Green), and he tweeted this today:

Josh Wariboko @JoshuaJ45 · 6h6 hours ago

I'm feeling blessed and ecstatic right now. I now know what the best thing for me is, I can't wait for NSD!!
    0 replies29 retweets112 favorites Reply
    Retweet29
    Favorite112
    More

There's been a lot of speculation that he would end up at UCLA, but I think that tweet makes it pretty clear that he's a heavy Sooner lean. Remember, at one point, he was an OU commit. Given the tone of the tweet combined with the fact that he's in Norman, I think that's about as close to saying "I'm going to OU" as he could get without saying it.

I suppose he could still end up at UCLA, but everything seems to point toward OU.

Also heard that Dahu Green, AD Miller and Arthur McGinnis all made it to Norman yesterday. Got word that Green is having a "great" time, but nothing on Miller or McGinnis. Again, OU needs to really impress McGinnis this weekend. So, hopefully I'll hear something positive soon.

With NSD coming up this Wednesday (the 4th), I don't expect a commitment from anyone this weekend, but there is a chance someone could decide to make it official. If that happens, you know I'll have it here!

Administrator
    vCash

Re: 2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Update: Miller Commits)

Update Sunday February 1

After a "great" visit", Dallas Receiver A.D. Miller commits to OU, giving the Sooners their 21st commitment for the class. Miller was a more recent offer, but one that Lincoln Riley was very interested in offering. Miller is a tall receiver (6'3"), who could become a very solid contributor on offense. I don't expect him to avoid a redshirt next year, but I expect good things for him over the next few years.

Miller has a fairly impressive offer list:

Texas Tech
    Nebraska
    California
    Arizona State
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    UL-Monroe
    Memphis
    Miami (FL)
    Miami (OH)
    Michigan
    Mississippi State
    North Texas
    Notre Dame
    Ohio State
    Oregon State
    SMU
    Southern Miss
    Tennessee
    Tulsa
    UCF
    Washington
    Washington State

Rivals, ESPN & Scout all rate Miller as a 3 star receiver.

vCash

Seeing North Texas and ULM offered him must have peaked our interest!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Considering the big stars of this Super Bowl include a guy who had to drop out of community college and went undrafted, a guy who had to go to Canada to play ball and wound up working at Foot Locker, and a four-time winning SB QB who was drafted in the 6th round, I still say the whole rating of recruits is way overrated.

Also note: of the 44 starters in Super Bowl XLIX, none were 5 stars coming out of high school.

vCash

Considering this years national champ Ohio State, and runner-up Oregon always pull in top classes, as does Alabama and FSU, the other two teams in the 4 team playoff, I'd say recruiting is HUGE!!!

What any of those players go on to do in the NFL has no relevance to college football.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Considering the big stars of this Super Bowl include a guy who had to drop out of community college and went undrafted, a guy who had to go to Canada to play ball and wound up working at Foot Locker, and a four-time winning SB QB who was drafted in the 6th round, I still say the whole rating of recruits is way overrated.

Also note: of the 44 starters in Super Bowl XLIX, none were 5 stars coming out of high school.
    If you look at the rating system in the big picture, I think it's a solid indicator in several cases (i.e. the overall stregnth of a class, etc). My issues are with many of the individual ratings.

AD Miller is a good example, I've watched his film and compared it to Van Jefferson. On tape, there is very little difference between the two. However, the services rate Jefferson a 4 star recruit and Miller a 3 star. Obviously the schools did their research and based on the quality of offers he received, he's better than a 3 star player in the eyes of a lot of coaching staffs.

I think the problem is pretty simple, there are too many high school players versus a limited number of recruiting service "analysts". There's only so much time they can spend on player evaluations, so I think a lot of guys fall through the cracks. They're typically pretty good at identifying the 5 star kids (but lets be honest, just about anyone with eyes can do that), and they have a decent success rate with the 4 star kids. It's anything below that where they miss. 3 star recruits seem to be the hardest for the services to really evaluate.

In the end, there are many factors that play into a kids development, so unless he's coming in with elite talent (like a DGB), it's mostly a shot in the dark about who will pan out and who won't.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: 2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Update: Green Commits)

UPDATE: Monday February 2nd

Breaking now: Dahu Green commits to OU!

A lot of Sooner fans felt like Green should have been offered a long time ago, but whatever the case, he was finally offered recently. I kinda felt like it was too little, too late with Green, but after his official visit this past weekend, he must have really been impressed. Green is another tall receiver (6'4"), and a local kid (Westmoore High School). Here's his offer list:

Arkansas State
    Boise State
    Cincinnati
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    North Texas
    San Diego State
    Southern Miss
    Toledo
    Tulsa
    Virginia
    Wake Forest
    Washington State

Not as impressive a list as AD Miller, and I think he's not quite as good as Miller, but we will definitely need receivers in the new system. And a commitment from an in-state kid is always good.

Supposedly, LB Arthur McGinnis is going to make his decision tonight. Not sure if he'll announce it, but if he does, I'll post it.

vCash

Kish and Stoops both just tweeted 'Boom 504'. That's the Louisiana area code...so methinks McGinnis has committed.

vCash

Tulsa World confirming McGinnis has committed. Huge get on the 4-star LB.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Yay! Sounds like a very successful weekend!

vCash

Two done, two to go from this weekend's visitors.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: 2015 Class - Down the stretch updates (Update: Green/McGinnis Commits)

HUGE pick-up!

New Orleans Warren Easton middle linebacker Arthur McGinnis has committed to Oklahoma. Don't need to tell anyone how badly we needed a middle linebacker in this class, and this was the last chance to land a quality one. While McGinnis won't be pressed into action as a freshman, he's good enough to contribute early. Look to see him on special teams with the possibility of spot duty on defense. In time, I think this kid could be really good.

Offer list:

Arizona
    Arkansas State
    Boise State
    Georgia
    Kansas
    Louisiana Tech
    Louisiana Lafayette
    Louisville
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Nebraska
    Notre Dame
    Oklahoma
    Southern Miss
    Tennessee
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech
    Tulane
    UCLA

Ratings:
    Rivals: 4 star
    Scout: 3 star
    ESPN: 3 star
    247 Sports: 3 star

vCash

Do you actually think him at MLB? I watched some film, and from a speed standpoint, he looked more like a DT than an LB. My bet is he ends up at DE.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Do you actually think him at MLB? I watched some film, and from a speed standpoint, he looked more like a DT than an LB. My bet is he ends up at DE.
    We recruited him as a MLB. I don't know what the plan is, but we need a MLB in a bad way. To my knowledge, he's only play MLB throughout high school.

Some of the services have him listed as an OLB for some reason, but he's never played OLB.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    We recruited him as a MLB. I don't know what the plan is, but we need a MLB in a bad way. To my knowledge, he's only play MLB throughout high school.

Some of the services have him listed as an OLB for some reason, but he's never played OLB.
    The film I watched had him as a down lineman a lot. Given how my day has gone, I may well have been watching the wrong film, though.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    The film I watched had him as a down lineman a lot. Given how my day has gone, I may well have been watching the wrong film, though.
    You could be correct. Honestly, I'm on overload with the recruit stuff.

I'll look tomorrow. But, I'm not going to give you a money back guarantee that I'm right.