Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Thoughts on Riley - Stoops Presser?

Just saw the, "Hi, I'm Lincoln Riley, Grip & Grin." Any thoughts? I liked what Lincoln Riley said but it was mostly generic. Looking forward to any new offense recruits he brings in along with the 2 offensive coaching vacancies.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Thoughts on Riley - Stoops Presser?

My thoughts were, I could hear TDTW's head asplode from here.

I have my concerns about attempting to climb back in the bottle and unleash the Leach magic again, but as long as Riley finds ways to keep getting the ball to the backs I'm happy to see what he can do.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    That alone made it worth a listen.

Sounded about like what one would expect to hear. It's easy to focus in on possible schemes but I'm as interested in the leadership aspect as the Xs and Os. There are lots of schemes that will work quite well if the players are bought in and willing to work for it. It might take half a season before we can see if the new staff is clicking.

vCash

Mike Leach runs Mike Leach's offense, and we don't have Mike Leach.

Just felt like I needed to point that out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    I suddenly became hilariously engrossed with this topic.

I wasn't expecting big revelations from this presser, since right now Riley is trying to recruit a couple of impact players (hopefully receivers and TE) and get his stuff moved to Norman. The offense will be developed after signing day.

What I did find interesting as an insight into Stoops' rationale for going to this offense was the comment he made about "even when you don't score, you're moving the ball, gaining field position, etc." with this offense.

So, no big news and certainly nothing new, but I can see more now how Bob can support keeping Mike on board as he feels this offense will relieve pressure on the D with 3rd down conversions, longer drives, and field position. This is is as "old school" coaching mindset as it gets (just an observation no judgment). And although I do feel that our defense is the primary source of our problems, if the O can provide an increased margin of sustained drives and better field position when the ball is turned over, maybe that margin is enough for our defense to be significantly more effective. Guess we will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    That alone made it worth a listen.
    Mike Leach didn't win multiple national championships at traditional powerhouse Texas Tech.... he is TERRRRIBLE!

TDTW is a dunce.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

vCash

manatee said, "Mike Leach didn't win multiple national championships at traditional powerhouse Texas Tech.... he is TERRRRIBLE!"

Name the coaches that have won multiple national championships anywhere. Since when is Taco Tech a powerhouse much less a traditional powerhouse.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganSooner View Post
    manatee said, "Mike Leach didn't win multiple national championships at traditional powerhouse Texas Tech.... he is TERRRRIBLE!"

Name the coaches that have won multiple national championships anywhere. Since when is Taco Tech a powerhouse much less a traditional powerhouse.
    Better tap that sarcasm gauge, it may be stuck.

vCash

The passing game he runs makes it easier for you to take a quarterback that might not be the best and make him look a lot better than he is. BUT what people keep failing to realize for whatever reason when they keep pointing out that its an "Air Raid" offense is he likes to run it too. His team averaged over 160 yards rushing this past season and he had a 1,000 yard rusher 2 of the last 3 and it would have been 3 for 3 if not for an injury.

I think our running backs will thrive in this system b/c you can not stack the box against it. Our running backs are already used to running out of shotgun so that's not an issue either.

Still hoping for more coaching changes on the defensive side but I'm excited to see what this offense will be like.

Side note heard tonight that Joe Mixon will begin working out with the team this week.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

I'm optimistic he can develop a qb that can keep a hail Mary in the field of play. Aside from that rileys got a good head on his shoulders and seems much more charismatic and outgoing than jh. The players should respond to him and love playing in his system. With mixon, perine, shep, ross, ford etc on the field they will put a lot of pressure on denfenses.

We will make defenses look like our defense!.

LR has charisma!! It remains to be seen if he has swagger.

Administrator
    vCash

More than any of his typical coach-speak answers, I was most interested (and excited) in what appears to be a hunger to win at OU. You can tell the guy is comfortable in his abilities, and while I'll always appreciate what Josh gave OU, it's really nice to hear someone talk without sounding like Bob Stoops.

It will definitely be an interesting year.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

He said he liked what talent OU had, and all they needed was a different approach. That is what Stoops did when he came. I still say it was not the offense, but the defense that was the problem. The offense had problems, mainly receivers......

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    He said he liked what talent OU had, and all they needed was a different approach. That is what Stoops did when he came. I still say it was not the offense, but the defense that was the problem. The offense had problems, mainly receivers......
    Offense, defense and special teams were all a problem. When Baylor is putting up 48 points per game and TCU is putting up 46 points per game, OU putting up 36 points per game on average isn't gong to get it done. Sans 2009, OU's defense was already slipping in the late 2000, but Oklahoma was still able to win outright conference titles due to its offense and simply outscoring Big 12 foes.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

What I thought was inteeresting was how ole Stoopsie was saying how he wanted to get back to this offense. What was stopping you? Oh right, you WERE running the offense you wanted, it was just messed up and now you are doinga mea culpa. Sad Josh had to get fired in order for Stoopsie to put in the offense Josh excelled at and probably knew how to call...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    What I thought was inteeresting was how ole Stoopsie was saying how he wanted to get back to this offense. What was stopping you? Oh right, you WERE running the offense you wanted, it was just messed up and now you are doinga mea culpa. Sad Josh had to get fired in order for Stoopsie to put in the offense Josh excelled at and probably knew how to call...
    I don't have a good "in" to the program like I used to, but I was talking to my old source about that whole thing and I was told that it was Heupel who pushed for the pistol offense (that Chris Ault perfected). If that's true, it makes a lot of sense why Heupel was shown the door.