Thread: Norvell @ Texas

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

HOLY **** **** it's HOT! Norvell @ Texas

Texas has hired former Oklahoma wide receivers coach Jay Norvell to the same position, according to FootballScoop.

Norvell spent the past seven seasons at Oklahoma and most recently held the title of co-offensive coordinator. He was fired this month amid a staff-wide overhaul that also engulfed offensive play-caller Josh Heupel.

Norvell is considered a top-notch recruiter who was responsible last summer for the Sooners acquiring former Missouri standout receiver Dorial Green-Beckham.

At Texas, Norvell replaces Les Koenning, whom Longhorns coach Charlie Strong fired after the season. Last year, Norvell made $455,000, and Koenning made $335,000.

Strong still must replace Bruce Chambers as tight ends coach.
    http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/...ach-receivers/
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Re: Norvell @ Texas

hmmm

Administrator
    vCash

Odd hire.

With a new OC, it's not like Texas is going to get any secret information from Norvell, and while he's been able to recruit (and land) a lot of the players he's targeted, his ability to develop those players has been an issue.

Just seems like a "team on the rise" would look for a better addition.

This kinda plays right into my thinking that Texas isn't going to be a great team any time soon.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I liked Norvell. Sorry to see him leave.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Maybe Strong is trying to harvest a burning desire in Norvell to beat the team that fired him? I could see that working in recruiting but also backfiring on the field.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Maybe Strong is trying to harvest a burning desire in Norvell to beat the team that fired him? I could see that working in recruiting but also backfiring on the field.
    Possibly.

Norvell was a good recruiter, so it could just add to his ability. I just don't think he's much of a player developer.

Sooner Benchwarmer Harris County Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Good deal. Now the Sooners can concentrate on stopping the Texas running game.
    "To this day, Schnellenberger is not held in high esteem by Sooner fans, in part because he made no secret of his lack of interest in the program's history."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Odd hire.

With a new OC, it's not like Texas is going to get any secret information from Norvell, and while he's been able to recruit (and land) a lot of the players he's targeted, his ability to develop those players has been an issue.

Just seems like a "team on the rise" would look for a better addition.

This kinda plays right into my thinking that Texas isn't going to be a great team any time soon.
    Welp, I sure missed this one, I really thought Norvell would go back to the pros....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harris County Sooner View Post
    Good deal. Now the Sooners can concentrate on stopping the Texas running game.
    Ha!

Yeah, at first I was thinking this was weird and was hoping he isn't disgruntled about getting canned and then I thought we have no Heupel or Norvell so the O will be totally different, and we will have a different DBs coach, so it's not like he will be giving away our DB secrets on tackling or anything.

vCash

Tackling? Did someone here say tackling?
    Boomer

vCash

Maybe Norvell's abundance of people skills is supposed to make up for the non-existence of Strong's?

And this is not a spiteful move. We fired Norvell, so he has the right to go wherever he pleases, and Texas is one of the best positions in the country. I would bet he and Bob still have a good relation, and that Norvell knows Bob's hand was forced in this. I suppose Norvell will have a strong desire to beat us, but if you coach for Texas and don't have a strong desire to beat OU, somebody needs to check your pulse.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Welp, I sure missed this one, I really thought Norvell would go back to the pros....

I did too. I figured he'd jump on one of the new NFL staffs (with all the head coaches being replaced). Guess he likes the college game better.

I'd wish him well, but he's the enemy now.

vCash

This is why I laugh, when people talk about Strong taking texas back to major prominence (as if, they ever were there).

LOL!

He is their Smellsofbourbon, Blake, Stopgap....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Lots of strange in this hire. It's looking more and more like Bob's hand was forced to get rid of some assistants and Norvell was just the first scapegoat on the chopping block, and when that wasn't enough, he got rid of Heupel too before even touching the defensive side.

I really don't know what was the basis of this crappy disorganized offense we saw on the field this year, Heupel/Norvell, micromanagement from the top, bunch of chiefs (Co-OCs) trying to lead and not enough Indian followers, or a combination, but it sure as hell is going to be an interesting year next year.
    I do wonder w/o some outside pressure (fund raising for the new renovation + high expectations along with an obviously chitty, disorganized, pitiful on-the-field product) if Bob would've been completely oblivious to the problem and even admitted there was a staff problem and let those guys go, or was the staff even the problem to begin with and was it more of an organizational/leadership problem from the top. Bob did look completely lost (and I mean completely Kirk-Ferentz/Iowa lost) at times this year.

I also wonder if we'll see a couple of hardship (immediate eligibility) transfers/ to the Texass' WR corps, but I don't know who's available. (sure glad DGB can't transfer again)

The college game is starting to resemble the NFL coaching fraternity carousel/PR game where we just see coaches moving around from team to team just so the GMs/ (ADs) can get the local fans somewhat interested in the off-season after an underachieving year.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Strong still must replace...tight ends coach.
    No one at Penn State available?

Hey-yo!

Administrator
    vCash

This just seems so wrong: