SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

The World Wars on history channel

good show...

ready for the one on the Revolutionary War
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The World Wars on history channel

It's even cooler living over here and driving through all the locations...last month I drove up through the Ardennes area between Luxembourg and Bastogne...

vCash

That would be cool....beautiful country...Germany. Are there still a lot of "ruins", bunker boxes etc... I like military history.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

I was driving back in 13 down the German/Belgian border to the town of Monschau...and there's still anti-tank barriers there from the war.

As far as the daily living here is concerned, I personally hate it...but hopping the continent makes up for it in droves.

vCash

that pretty cool. I'd love to scour the countryside for artifacts. Ya have to be there long?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser View Post
    It's even cooler living over here and driving through all the locations...last month I drove up through the Ardennes area between Luxembourg and Bastogne...
    It's on my bucket list.

I've watched every one of the History Channel War specials. They do an excellent job, but I specifically like the WWII (I think it's "World War II in color". When my last kid goes off to school, I'm taking a long vacation and heading over to Europe to see things for myself.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I looked back and saw I DVR'd the series on 5/26 - 5/28.

I like all the old footage. To me it seems that whole lot of previously classified footage about the Wars has recently been declassified and is now being put into shows and presented.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

When I see the actual footage...and see a GI get shot and drop, I just sit and think about them, their family...the sacrifice. I know cheesy...but it's surreal. Wish over seas traveling wasn't so jacked....I'd love to see my family history - 3/4 German.

I think I'll try and get to all 50 states first!

vCash

Now that we've been over here almost 2 years (and a little over 1 to go), I've been re-playing a LOT of the WWII movies and series for the Mrs. (like Band of Brothers)...now that she's been to most of the places mentioned. It really helps drive the point home when you can physically be at these places. She's taken a bit of an interest in Germany's role (read: viewpoints) on the wars as well.

Now Auschwitz...that's a whole different animal...if you have the chance to go, GO! But even if you think you're emotionally ready to handle it, you're not.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    I think I'll try and get to all 50 states first!
    48/50...just missing the Dakotas

vCash

nice...on the states. That's pretty cool about being able to see the places in person. I always enjoy history. Maybe someday head over the big pond....I'd enjoy seeing castles as well.