SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Jalin Barnett chooses nu

8 time...

what's your take?

saw he was #1 recruit in Okla. Off tackle...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Jalin Barnett chooses nu

Dang it. I always hate to miss on Oklahoma kids. Why would he want to go to Nebraska?

Wariboko is still available, and we've already got 5 OL commits. I'd guess we're fine without him, but that's a bummer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

yeah, maybe the 5 ol worried him....

My buddy sent me the FB post...so I'm guessing it's true...247 sports
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Whet's Avatar
    vCash

I AM SHOCKED!!

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    8 time...

what's your take?

saw he was #1 recruit in Okla. Off tackle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eielson
    Dang it. I always hate to miss on Oklahoma kids. Why would he want to go to Nebraska?

Wariboko is still available, and we've already got 5 OL commits. I'd guess we're fine without him, but that's a bummer.
    The whole Barnett situation was really weird. When the services released their in-state rankings for this class, many (most) had Barnett listed as the #1 player in the state, and some of them had him listed as the #1 OG in the country. OU was all over the kid (and had been the first to offer him). The word was that Barnett had grown up an OSU fan, and OU would have a lot of work to do.

Whatever OU needed to do, they did, and just about every scout and service had OU as the favorite for Barnett. Then, about two months ago, something went south in the relationship. At the time it was OU and Arkansas pushing hard for the kid. Whatever happened, happened to Arkansas too as both schools backed waaaay off. There's been rumor that OU pulled his offer altogether, but that's almost impossible to verify.

Information slowly started to trickle out about Barnett's supposed lack of work ethic, and rumored laziness. I watched him in practice and playing in the Under Armour All American game, and he didn't look like a guy that was ready to play at the D1 level. He's got talent and size, no question, but he didn't stand out at all. So, I don't know if OU/Arkansas backed off because they saw something they didn't like, or what, but it became very clear back in November that OU was putting all of their chips on Wariboko (for in state talent).

Personally, I would have liked to get them both, but I've always thought Wariboko looked like the better player (and more like a guy that can come in and contribute quickly). It's still going to be tough to get Wariboko, but I think the Sooners have a good chance to bring him into the fold.

This class of linemen is one of the better ones we've had in quite a while, so getting Wariboko isn't a make or break pick-up, but it would be nice to add him to the group.