Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash

So Ohio St. will be in Norman the season after next

Wow what a flip from the beginning of the season. We were riding high and they were coming off a loss from VT.

They looked really good tonight. Should be a huge game in Norman!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: So Ohio St. will be in Norman the season after next

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnnamedSooner View Post
    Wow what a flip from the beginning of the season. We were riding high and they were coming off a loss from VT.

They looked really good tonight. Should be a huge game in Norman!
    And the changes in progress in our program right now will determine if that's true. I have no doubt Meyer will field a top team at that time unless he hits another family crises and retires again.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Hopefully, Meyer will retire again by then. Meyer versus Stoops isn't much of a contest.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Hopefully, Meyer will retire again by then. Meyer versus Stoops isn't much of a contest.
    If my memory serves correct, it was actually pretty close.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I took the reference to mean Meyer's consistency over the years and across different program, not the one game.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Yeah, we played them tough that day and we have two years to prepare. That team was loaded though, 3 of the first 4 NFL draftees the following year (and 4 of the first 11, I think).
    I set my DVR to record "The Biggest Loser" and now it records the Longhorn Network all day.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I took the reference to mean Meyer's consistency over the years and across different program, not the one game.
    They're not joining the Big XII, and it's not going to be a comparison of programs. It's just one game a year for two years. I've rated Meyer #1 for years (even when everybody was calling Saban best ever), but if we both march in with solid programs, it's far from a foregone conclusion that we'll get smoked. We may have struggled in recent years, and we've lost some games we shouldn't have, but nobody other than Briles has been able to truly punch Bob in the mouth, and guys like Saban, Meyer, Brown, and Fisher have had their shots.

And I think Meyer is great, but not a model of consistency. Florida was able to win a NC, come back the next year and only win 9 games, win another NC, and then be back to 8 wins two years later. It took Bob 16 seasons to finally surpass Meyer's number of sub-10 win seasons in his 6 years at Florida, and even that wouldn't have happened had we not suffered through a couple of ridiculously injury-riddled seasons.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by winout View Post
    Yeah, we played them tough that day and we have two years to prepare. That team was loaded though, 3 of the first 4 NFL draftees the following year (and 4 of the first 11, I think).
    Florida was plenty loaded themselves, and I'd say that was probably the most talented team Meyer has ever coached. It was truly an epic clash of two giants, and It's the only BCS loss I'm not at least slightly ashamed of. That doesn't mean it doesn't sting a little, though.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Season from from now? In Norman?

I think this year was an abomination as far as home losses, I don't suspect we'll see that in the future and I see us starting a new home field win streak.

OU thumps THE ohio state when they show up in Norman.

vCash

They're not joining the Big XII, and it's not going to be a comparison of programs. It's just one game a year for two years. I've rated Meyer #1 for years (even when everybody was calling Saban best ever), but if we both march in with solid programs, it's far from a foregone conclusion that we'll get smoked. We may have struggled in recent years, and we've lost some games we shouldn't have, but nobody other than Briles has been able to truly punch Bob in the mouth, and guys like Saban, Meyer, Brown, and Fisher have had their shots.

And I think Meyer is great, but not a model of consistency. Florida was able to win a NC, come back the next year and only win 9 games, win another NC, and then be back to 8 wins two years later. It took Bob 16 seasons to finally surpass Meyer's number of sub-10 win seasons in his 6 years at Florida, and even that wouldn't have happened had we not suffered through a couple of ridiculously injury-riddled seasons.
    It's 2 years away, anything can happen. If the current changes in motion in the OU program don't pay off, we won't field an elite team. And still haven't seen if there are defensive changes on the way outside of the BJW retirement. I can't see us fielding an elite team in '15 in a transition type of year, but it has been done in the past. But I could see us building to something for '16. Meyer will probably have a good team ready as he's a good coach and recruiting well, but I'm not motivated enough to follow them beyond those generalizations.

If memory serves me correctly, Meyer took a QB who couldn't throw a two yard spiral, and beat the greatest QB in Oklahoma history, and arguably the greatest O-LINE in college football history, by two scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Meyer took a QB who couldn't throw a two yard spiral, and beat the greatest QB in Oklahoma history, and arguably the greatest O-LINE in college football history, by two scores.
    We were missing a key player that game. It wasn't a beat down
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by winout View Post
    This is picky, but 4 of the first 21 (Gresham went to Cincy at 21....)

Oregon was doomed from the start....I saw it in their body language coming out
    on to the field...and, for me, that is the fastest Ohio State team on record. Jones
    was 3rd string at the start of the season...Meyer has the proverbial "embarrassment
    of riches" (young riches at that)at QB....Jones reportedly throws a 65 yard spiral from
    a kneeling position and that dude can motor, for 6'6" 250#....jus sayin...

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

And...win or lose...you can guarantee the majority of Acorn Aggies will be classless and burn half the campus down. And their cheating ways will be glossed over by the admin yet again. Take money from boosters, no worries...hell, we'll make sure you get a Heisman trophy afterwards!

I hate them worse than I hate Texass...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

We were also missing this years NFL leading rusher for that game.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

We can be their Virginia Tech (early-season loss that doesn't matter by postseason berth time)

Sooner Starter
    vCash

It might make sense to go after Cincy in the Big XII.... fertile recruiting in the Rust Belt for some of those big blockers. Add USF or UCF and we could make in roads into the South as well. We need to add large population areas.

I see Kenny Hill is transferring to TCU. I think the XII has some life left in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee View Post
    We were missing a key player that game. It wasn't a beat down
    Florida lost Percy Harvin for the SEC game, and beat an undefeated Bama.

Ohio State lost two quarterbacks, and won the God Damn title.

Injuries happen to every team. The best learn to work with what they have. The mediocre apparently fall apart when they lose a running back.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser View Post
    And...win or lose...you can guarantee the majority of Acorn Aggies will be classless and burn half the campus down. And their cheating ways will be glossed over by the admin yet again. Take money from boosters, no worries...hell, we'll make sure you get a Heisman trophy afterwards!

I hate them worse than I hate Texass...
    Me too.

vCash

Your memory does seem to be a little foggy, so I'll remind you that Meyer's QB was Tim Tebow. That's the guy who won a Heisman trophy, and was a first round draft pick. Many have considered him the greatest college football player of his decade. Do I think that is overrating him? Absolutely, but you sound like a 14 year old when you act like he's some scrub.

Also, the game was 7-7 at half, and 17-14 until deep in the 4th quarter. Florida didn't have an even remotely comfortable lead until 57 minutes into the game, and even then, they had to make another defensive stop to put the game away.