Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New O coord

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: New O coord

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I have no problem with being critical of a coach's performance, but shouldn't he actually have a chance to preform? I want OU to win, I could care less what I "can say" 3-4 years from now. Riley is considered one of the best young coordinators out there, and I'm sure Bob did his due diligence. Can we at least let him do his job before being critical of how he does his job?
    No, they can't.. because obviously Adonis has won his fair share of National Titles and knows what it takes.

I was right there with most, on changes needed to be made. And you know what? Bob did it. Still going to do more. And he threw everyone a curve ball again.

I like the hire. Young, motivated, fresh ideas, willing to work around his personnel.

The Boo Birds would cry about anything, other than 3 NC quality HCs, one for offense, one for D and the other putting it all together and taking all the heat, if it didn't work.

vCash

Im gettin mighty sick of Message Board Heros that Know moren any coach alive.

Its gotten to where a FAN cant even enjoy the Prospect of a new season and a New day before all the ****ing Debbie Downers come crawling out the woodwork

Im a ****in Sunshine Pumper and those that dont like it can kiss my ***!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Didn't we have more than one game where we finished with negative rushing yards when we won the NC in 2000?

I hate the idea of wasting Perine as much as anyone else, but weren't we finesse as a mofo in 2000?
    La ola es mía.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Don't you go bringing facts and logic into this!
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pricetag View Post
    Didn't we have more than one game where we finished with negative rushing yards when we won the NC in 2000?

I hate the idea of wasting Perine as much as anyone else, but weren't we finesse as a mofo in 2000?
    We also threw it 53% of the time while running it 47% of the time. Hardly an "air raid" style of offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

vCash

Dont think we hit Negative rushing but a few we dint Gain alot !

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/...0#.VLRRUcmGVKo
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

You do realize that you have to win the conference to have a shot at the playoffs, right?!

How do you know he's only going to win 9 or 10 games a year? How do you know he won't incorporate the run effectively? You don't.

Can the guy actually call a game before being considered horrible?
    I am not critical of Riley. I am critical of Bobs decision to hire him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

1. Dean I apologize - you scooped everyone.
    2. Good luck Lincoln Riley.
    3. This doesn't fix the defense.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Well, I guess we can give Lincoln a chance if he can give us some assurances that our offensive game plan will have a proper run/pass ratio.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I do not have a problem with the hire or the offense. In theory. I don't buy that you can't win with this style of offense at the national level, for a few reasons. First, we did just that back in 2000. Second, people used to say the same thing about the spread option offenses that Chip Kelley/Urban Meyer/Gus Malzahn run. Third, while this is definitely an offense that leans on the pass more than the run, it's not as extreme in that regard as the earlier versions of this scheme. Riley, like most of the other coaches from the Leech coaching tree (aside from Leech himself), has updated the offense to include more runs, particularly in the redzone or in short yardage situations.

In practice, I am a bit frustrated. If Stoops wanted to go in this direction, it's unclear what we've been doing for the past 4 seasons. Heupel is, himself, more experienced with this style of offense than the pro/option schemes that we used the past several years. Our recruiting over the past several years has also emphasized things that are not great fits for this scheme (mobile QBs, big powerful RBs), so it is unclear whether we have the personnel to run it right now. Of course you could have said the same thing about us back in 1999. Even still, I feel like an offense similar to Oregon, Ohio State, or Auburn is more closely suited to our current roster, and would have been an easier transition given that we were already using some of those concepts in our offense last year. I am unclear why we have emphasized physicality and the running game so much the past few years if Stoops ultimately wanted to take the offense in this direction.

It also kind of feels like Josh got screwed here. He was asked to coordinate an offense that he wasn't all that comfortable with, without even having previous experience as a playcaller. Then we fire him and hire a guy to bring in the exact type of offense that Josh would have been most successful with.
    Last edited by graphster; 1/12/2015 at 06:12 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'm know this is going way out on a limb, but I predict Perine will be a star for OU again in '15.

vCash

You do realize that you have to win the conference to have a shot at the playoffs, right?!
    ...or not even then.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    ...or not even then.
    So SicEM', what's going to happen when HC Briles has to fire his OC? A really awkward Thanksgiving dinner?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    So SicEM', what's going to happen when HC Briles has to fire his OC? A really awkward Thanksgiving dinner?
    I don't see any reason to fire Kendal. I don't put the blame on him. Next season will tell a lot.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    We also threw it 53% of the time while running it 47% of the time. Hardly an "air raid" style of offense.
    Riley’s offenses have taken claim of the ECU record books. Four of his five seasons are the four best in program history in terms of total yardage, including 6,086 yards in 2013 and 6,929 yards in 2014.

59-to-41 pass-run ratio

his philosophy is to put the ball in his best players hands as often as possible and in ways that stress the defense the most
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    I do not have a problem with the hire or the offense. In theory. I don't buy that you can't win with this style of offense at the national level, for a few reasons. First, we did just that back in 2000. Second, people used to say the same thing about the spread option offenses that Chip Kelley/Urban Meyer/Gus Malzahn run. Third, while this is definitely an offense that leans on the pass more than the run, it's not as extreme in that regard as the earlier versions of this scheme. Riley, like most of the other coaches from the Leech coaching tree (aside from Leech himself), has updated the offense to include more runs, particularly in the redzone or in short yardage situations.

In practice, I am a bit frustrated. If Stoops wanted to go in this direction, it's unclear what we've been doing for the past 4 seasons. Heupel is, himself, more experienced with this style of offense than the pro/option schemes that we used the past several years. Our recruiting over the past several years has also emphasized things that are not great fits for this scheme (mobile QBs, big powerful RBs), so it is unclear whether we have the personnel to run it right now. Of course you could have said the same thing about us back in 1999. Even still, I feel like an offense similar to Oregon, Ohio State, or Auburn is more closely suited to our current roster, and would have been an easier transition given that we were already using some of those concepts in our offense last year. I am unclear why we have emphasized physicality and the running game so much the past few years if Stoops ultimately wanted to take the offense in this direction.

It also kind of feels like Josh got screwed here. He was asked to coordinate an offense that he wasn't all that comfortable with, without even having previous experience as a playcaller. Then we fire him and hire a guy to bring in the exact type of offense that Josh would have been most successful with.
    My first thoughts on this, too. It's hard to believe that what we saw from Heupel was really what Heupel wanted to do. That seemed to clearly be the continuation of the type of offense that (as far as I can tell) B. Stoops had pushed onto every coordinator since Chuck Long. I think what we saw in 2000 was exactly the kind of offense Heupel would choose to run. So we get rid of Heupel to "go in another direction", and it turns out the direction we're going is the offense Heupel almost certainly would promote?

Maybe we're all blind, looking at this from the outside with no idea. But I have to wonder what Josh Heupel is sitting there, thinking, with the hiring of a Leach protege after being let go, likely having been constrained into the offense we've seen from him.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

his philosophy is to put the ball in his best players hands as often as possible and in ways that stress the defense the most
    Get that groin healed Mr. Shepard!!!
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

i beleive that Riley will be fine. we need a qb guru someone who can develop our QB's. Knight can throw he proved that against Alabama but the plays called all season had no rythem and were just ill timed. imthink Knight or Mayfield gets the start. Knight has the experience we need a coach that can call to his strengths. Watch ECU highlights they did not have the athletes we had all year and yet they put up some good stats runing and throwing. As for Heupel he should have told Stoops he was not the right guy for the whatever the hell he was calling the last two years. If he did not know that system you speak up. Yes men fall quicker than those that actually speak up.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I can't believe he doesn't run Perrine more and for god sake, throw it down field...oh wait I have to wait 9 months to join the crowd

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    Yup, we ran the ball! I'm sure that it was our 35 carries for 56 yards that helped us beat FSU, and our 36 carries for 11 yards that helped us beat KSU.

I learned my lesson today. It's all about how many times you carry the ball. The yards don't matter.

We ran for 1671 yards that year (which leaves us with a 69-31 ratio), which is LESS than Riley's ECU ran for last year.