Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Linebacker depth

If we aren't able to land anymore linebacker commits, I wonder what the chances are of Hatari Byrd being moved to OLB much like Keenan Clayton was. He's got the size and would be an athletic OLB where as he seems a little slow for a safety in this conference.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Linebacker depth

I've thought he needed to move to LB since I first saw him. He's absolutely got the size for it, and it would make sense. Something's got to give, as we're overloaded at safety and if he's not getting the playing time, a move would probably be in everyone's best interest.

We're so thin at MLB that it concerns me. Here's the roster/projected depth chart for next year:

ROLB
    Devante Bond
    Obo Okoronkwo
    Ricky DeBerry*

RILB
    Dom Alexander
    Tay Evans*

LILB
    Frank Shannon -or-
    Jordan Evans

LOLB
    Eric Striker
    PL Lindley
    Curtis Bolton*

*Not sure which side they will play

A lot can/will change between now and next season, but you can see how thin we are in the middle. Even with Shannon coming back for his senior year, we're just not deep there. At the outside positions, we are in pretty good shape (although I don't think PL Lindley can/will be a major contributor at LB). Bolton, Tay Evans and DeBerry are all unknowns at this time, so if even one of those guys doesn't pan out, it could be scary thin at OLB too.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm not that well versed on the differences. But I'd like to know if we get in a critical situation next year at ILB, is it easy for one of the OLB to move inside or are the positions so different it's not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnnamedSooner View Post
    I'm not that well versed on the differences. But I'd like to know if we get in a critical situation next year at ILB, is it easy for one of the OLB to move inside or are the positions so different it's not possible?
    It's definitely possible. I feel the coaches will do whatever they need to in that situation. I don't know how intricate their 3-4 scheme is but I also played linebacker in a 3-4 scheme in highschool. Most of us knew the blitzes of every linebacking position on certain play calls, but the gap assignments and coverages were a little more difficult.

Needless to say though to say you won't see a guy like Striker moved there. As others on the board have expressed I also think it's a little ridiculous that a guy with the heart and desire to play like Gastelum didn't play a single meaningful down.
    Last edited by SoonerForLife92; 1/8/2015 at 04:49 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

And here in a nutshell is the problem with us going to a 3-4 defense.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    And here in a nutshell is the problem with us going to a 3-4 defense.
    The problem isn't going to the 3-4 defense. The problem is going to a 3-4 defense and then not recruiting well/putting a high enough emphasis on recruiting in terms of linebackers.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Not generally. The skillsets needed for OLB in a 3-4 defense are much more oriented around rushing the passer (these guys are equivalent to defensive ends in terms of being the premier pass rushers on the team), and occasionally dropping into coverage. Typically in a 3-4 defense, OLBs are kind of a combination of defensive end and linebacker. So they tend to be bigger and more physical than OLBs in a 4-3 scheme.

ILB is more oriented towards reading keys in the run game, being able to run sideline to sideline, and being a great 1 on 1 tackler. Your ILBs are also often the quarterbacks of the defense, and often times have a lot of responsibilities related to making checks or adjustments based on offensive formations and shifts/motions. So it tends to be a more mentally challenging position (though that can vary from team to team). Some players are just all around great defensive players and could potentially play multiple positions, but generally ILB and OLB are not interchangeable, the same way that HB and FB aren't interchangeable or WR and TE aren't interchangeable on offense.

Administrator
    vCash

It can be done, but it's not as simple as lining up a few yards inside.

First, there is a size difference between the two positions, for example:

Eric Striker: 6'0" 221

Jordan Evans: 6'3" 227

And I'd consider Evans a little undersized (weight) for the position. An inside backer needs to be bigger for obvious reasons (stopping the inside run game). I noticed our backers (specifically Alexander) getting carried a couple of yards on tackles a lot this year. You don't have to have a 250 lb inside backer (like you see a lot in the SEC), but you need size inside.

Secondly, and as pointed out above, in a 3-4 defensive scheme the outside backers are quasi-defensive ends that can run. Since I'm a Denver Bronco fan, and watch all of there games, I tend to use their defense as a good example of a functional 3-4 scheme. If you look at Von Miller in that scheme, he might as well be a defensive end, however, he can drop into coverage on occasion. Contrast that with Demarcus Ware on the other side, who is a true DE in Denver's system, and never drops into coverage. Eric Striker is a lot like Miller in our system. An outsider back should be able to understand gap assignment and coverage schemes of an inside backer, but knowing them and being able to execute them at the same level are two different things.

Mike Stoops would move a safety to ILB before moving an OLB over. If a prolific offense saw that we moved a guy like Striker into the middle, they would exploit that all day long.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    The problem isn't going to the 3-4 defense. The problem is going to a 3-4 defense and then not recruiting well/putting a high enough emphasis on recruiting in terms of linebackers.
    Yeah, that's what I mean. The 3-4 doesn't allow us to put our best players on the field, at least for now, and it makes less than optimal use of the players we do put on the field.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

True, although it's not clear where Striker would play in a 4-3 defense. He's great as a speed rusher off the edge, but is way too small to line up at DE in a 4-3 scheme. He's actually a bit undersized even as a 3-4 OLB.

And the DL that we currently have are mostly bigger, run stopping guys. Not sure that we really have great prototypical 4-3 DEs who can rush the passer.

Administrator
    vCash

True, although it's not clear where Striker would play in a 4-3 defense. He's great as a speed rusher off the edge, but is way too small to line up at DE in a 4-3 scheme. He's actually a bit undersized even as a 3-4 OLB.

And the DL that we currently have are mostly bigger, run stopping guys. Not sure that we really have great prototypical 4-3 DEs who can rush the passer.
    There was an article that came out prior to the season, and Striker said (just prior to Mike Stoops arrival) that he had been in contact with his high school coach about possibly transferring to a Florida school. He said that he didn't feel like he was ever going to reach his potential in a 4-3 scheme. Mike came in and installed the 3-4 and the rest is history.

A guy like Striker is perfect for a 3-4, but would struggle in a traditional linebacker role (in a 5-2 or 4-3).

vCash

I'd hate to think we would craft our defense around the talents of one guy. The thing about Striker is that he may end up being a better pro-player than a college player.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Why do you think Bolton is going to be on the edge?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Why do you think Bolton is going to be on the edge?
    Just based on where he was most productive in high school. I also don't think he's big enough to play in the middle...he was skinny coming into Norman, and I know he's listed at 6'2", but he looks closer to 6' in person. He is fast, which served him well in high school. He played all over the place in high school, including DE. I suppose it's possible he could move to the inside, but I pegged him as an OLB.