Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I don't think the cuts are finished

Wasn't Kish just a HS friend of stoops? or college friend? only coach like Jr High football before getting the OU job? Thought I remembered that and thought WTH...wish I knew someone in D1 bball...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Wasn't Kish just a HS friend of stoops? or college friend? only coach like Jr High football before getting the OU job? Thought I remembered that and thought WTH...wish I knew someone in D1 bball...
    You're kidding right?
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I think you're thinking of Kittle. Kish was the DC at 'Zona that Mike insisted on bringing with him.

vCash

ah...

no CB...I was admittedly too lazy to go look it up...so sue me. That's why I asked...everyone seems pretty he!! bent on him getting fired figured part of it was that. Geeze...chill~
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

ah...

no CB...I was admittedly too lazy to go look it up...so sue me. That's why I asked...everyone seems pretty he!! bent on him getting fired figured part of it was that. Geeze...chill~
    Hey now, if I chill any more, I'll be in a coma...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

ah...

You have to give us all a break. We're like the lynch mob gathering outside of the Sheriff's Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I suppose you think the offense against Texas was just fine, right?

They scored 17 points in the first half! Never mind the fact that the offense didn't score the points itself; a factor your statistics don't account for.

Your statistics also don't account for the pick-6 against KSU. Not only does that not count against the offense, it actually counts against the defense. That speaks to the futility of your statistic.

It also doesn't factor in the pick-6 against TCU, nor the inability of the offense to punch a score in despite being gift wrapped the ball in FG range.

The defense needs to improve; that's an unmistakable fact. It was better than our offense, though.

These facts, along with the bad 3rd down conversion % and all the 3 and outs, are ones that our fanbase loves to overlook.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I've seen more drill down on those offense stats and they don't look so good. Basically, Perine's stats against weak teams inflated the averages enough to be deceptive. And fortunately, we're keeping Perine for a while.
    In all five losses in 2014, Oklahoma gave up at least 31 points. In three of those losses, the Sooners scored at least 30 points. You should win when you score 30.

It's hard for a defense to stop a pick six. IMO the offense had so many three-and-outs that the opposing team had far too many opportunities to score. I never call for a coach's head and I was calling for JH's love the guy. He got screwed with TK and Shep going down. He also didn't have the likes of a developed Metoyer. I really didn't care to watch the odd crap that he was doing. Of course I would have loved it if it had worked.

Anyway, if the offense is generating points for the other team and can't hole the ball more than two minutes, the defense looks like a bag of dicks.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Funny how everyone forgets the turnovers and missed field goals.......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    Whoops. My point has already been made.

But yeah, the terrible offense made our defense look horrific... Except to Baylor. We gotta figure out how to defend Baylor. The defense look ****ty all by its self that day.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Funny how everyone forgets the turnovers and missed field goals.......
    Who forgot them? They sure were discussed a bunch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee View Post
    It's hard for a defense to stop a pick six. IMO the offense had so many three-and-outs that the opposing team had far too many opportunities to score. I never call for a coach's head and I was calling for JH's love the guy. He got screwed with TK and Shep going down. He also didn't have the likes of a developed Metoyer. I really didn't care to watch the odd crap that he was doing. Of course I would have loved it if it had worked.

Anyway, if the offense is generating points for the other team and can't hole the ball more than two minutes, the defense looks like a bag of dicks.
    Josh's primary problem wasn't injuries. It was situational ineptitude and coming up with crappy gameplans for a lot of games, save for Alabama. His Texas gameplans were garbage two straight years.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

The problem on defense is that you are dealing with 3 coaches who just came in (boulware/ms/kish) that have 2 recruiting classes under their belts. For Boulware, he at least had all of BJW's excellent DE recruits to raid (Tapper, Ndulae, etc) along with one RS DT so he had some protection to allow his recruits to RS and grow into the system. Both Kish and Mike were forced to play 2nd year players that they recruited (In Kish's case that was all he had all year). That is what we call "Inheriting a sucktastic situation". The one wild card here is BJW. BJW is an excellent DE coach/recruiter. The question is whether he can still do evaluation from the administrative desk freeing that slot up to someone else.

vCash

If that's the case Jerry shouldn't have been promoted to co-DC yet. Let Mike find his job then decide on "co" thing after hiring another person.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    The problem on defense is that you are dealing with 3 coaches who just came in (boulware/ms/kish) that have 2 recruiting classes under their belts. For Boulware, he at least had all of BJW's excellent DE recruits to raid (Tapper, Ndulae, etc) along with one RS DT so he had some protection to allow his recruits to RS and grow into the system. Both Kish and Mike were forced to play 2nd year players that they recruited (In Kish's case that was all he had all year). That is what we call "Inheriting a sucktastic situation". The one wild card here is BJW. BJW is an excellent DE coach/recruiter. The question is whether he can still do evaluation from the administrative desk freeing that slot up to someone else.
    You mean Montgomery instead of Boulware, right?

Administrator
    vCash

I wasn't as down on Heupel as many folks were, but I started to see the issues as the season played out. Josh will do well at a smaller program, with less pressure. The biggest issue I had with Josh was his inability to make good situational calls. The other thing that bothered me was how we would get away from things that were working, then come back to them too late in games.

It's all water under the bridge now, and I wish him nothing but luck going forward.

The defense is at a crossroads right now, and I could see it going either way. It's entirely possible that this last season's performance was due to youth/inexperience in the secondary (which in turn led Mike to play ultra conservative). If that's the case, we'll know soon enough. There's no reason our secondary can't be better if, in fact, it was youth and inexperience causing the issues.

If it was scheme based, then that's going to be an issue. From Stoops press conference, it didn't sound like a scheme change was in the plans. He alluded to some "changes" within the scheme, but it appears we're staying in the 3-4. If that is what's happening, then I really hope Mike consults with someone, or brings in someone with experience, because he didn't appear to have a good grasp on that scheme.

I'm a little concerned about losing Phillips, because the key cog in the 3-4 is the NT, but it can't get much worse. Montgomery has done an outstanding job recruiting, and our D-line has depth. What we need are play-making line backers, and enough to provide some depth in that group. Right now, we have enough to start and some unproven, inexperienced guys behind them. We are razor thin at MLB, and as of right now, we haven't landed a prospect for this class.

We have talent in the secondary. Sanchez is a very good DB when he's healthy. I would (as everyone else would) like to see him work on his tackling, but he is the best CB we have right now. Parker is going to be a solid safety, and in time I think he'll be a excellent play maker. Jordan Thomas is coming along, and I think he'll be a consistent player for us opposite Sanchez, he could also move back to safety if needed, and can always play the nickle. After those three guys, we have a lot of unknowns. Marcus Green? Tito Windam? Dakota Austin? Stanvon Taylor? I doubt all of those guys stick around much longer. Then there's Byrd and Thomas...I'm not sure those guys can develop further. I suppose they're both serviceable, but we want more than that. Then we get a couple of very talented freshmen coming in with Wil Sunderland and PJ Mbanasor. I think both of those guy (especially Mbanasor) will push for playing time immediately. The talent is there, it's just all unproven. Can/will Mike trust those guys enough to make the changes needed? Time will tell.

I will be slightly surprised if Kish is still on staff when the season rolls around. If he goes, then I think we have a chance to have a rebound year next season. Even if he stays, it's possible, but things definitely need to change on that side of the ball.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You mean Montgomery instead of Boulware, right?
    Yeah him. I was actually thinking that some of these "quality control" guys need to go as well. I have zilch point nothing clue about what they are supposed to be doing though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    Hey now, if I chill any more, I'll be in a coma...
    lol...okay. My mistake.