Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Next OC? Let the speculation begin...

I wonder about the personnel issue too. But TCU just put together a great offensive season with a converted WR who had been average to below average as a passer coming into this season, so perhaps with the right coaching we will see dramatic improvement in some of our players.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    I am just glad that Stoops is committed to somebody who has a system, with a clearly defined identity. The past few years, it has felt like we tried to do a little bit of everything. Stoops referenced the high scores in a lot of the bowl games this year, which makes me think that he's definitely looking to run some form of up-tempo spread offense. Given his comments about the QB (ability to run being a bonus but not a major factor), that makes me think that he's wanting a more pass oriented offense with the QB primarily operating from the pocket, as opposed to an option style like Auburn, Oregon, or Ohio State. Given his experiences with QBs and getting injured (both the last 2 years and even dating back to White's career), I can't say that I blame him. The spread option is great if your QB stays healthy or you have a platoon of guys who can run the system (see Ohio State), but there's no question that your QB is also more vulnerable to getting hurt. And guys who have both the physical and mental tools needed to run that style of offense don't exactly grow on trees, so you have to be able to recruit extremely well to make it work over the long-term.
    I was hoping we would get back to a more conventional offense and not a spread offense. We will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I said it elsewhere, but I'm going to put what I'm hoping for. Garrick McGee for 1M.
    I've thought about him too. I'm just not sure if he's good enough, because I haven't really followed him recently. I know he was a very good recruiter for Arkansas, and he's coming off of a very good offensive year with Louisville, but I don't know how well he did while at Arkansas.

I like the idea that he's familiar with the program and expectations, and he's a dynamic recruiter. I wouldn't be upset if he were brought in, but I'm not sure how excited I would be.

I really like the idea of Meacham. I just think he's the right fit for the job. He's not a young guy, but I think that can be offset by his ability to develop players, and he's had plenty of experience at the position.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    My preference would be for a Meacham/Spavital combo. Meacham coaching WRs and being the primary playcaller, with Spavital as QB coach and Co-OC.
    I could get excited for that combo. Spavital is one of the best in the QB coaching area, and that would almost lock Murray in with us. Meacham could handle the WRs and develop the game plan.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I hope whoever we get we do it fairly quickly so our new OC can try to recruit a few guys he likes. Maybe some of the X & O's wonks could chime in but it seems to me we aren't very well equipped personnel-wise to run a pass first, spread type offense. Our OL is chocked with 325lbs+ guys, our RB's are more downhill power runners and presently we don't have a QB that can consistently complete a pass.

Come to think of it I don't know what type of offense we are equipped to run with our current personnel.
    I agree, we need to move quickly on whoever it is we're going after. I don't think recruting (this year) is going to be affected by whomever we bring in (with the exception of possibly Kyler Murray), so I don't expect the new guy to bring anyone with him (simply because we're so late in this cycle). We do need to move quick so that whoever it is can start immediately and get his offense set up, and start recruiting for next year and beyond.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I hope whoever we get we do it fairly quickly so our new OC can try to recruit a few guys he likes. Maybe some of the X & O's wonks could chime in but it seems to me we aren't very well equipped personnel-wise to run a pass first, spread type offense. Our OL is chocked with 325lbs+ guys, our RB's are more downhill power runners and presently we don't have a QB that can consistently complete a pass.

Come to think of it I don't know what type of offense we are equipped to run with our current personnel.
    My observation is the opposite - huge OLs are better for pass protection and run blocking requires a bit leaner guy that can move better. Regardless, we are graduating a bunch of the OL and I don't really know the characteristics of the guys coming in. I'd like to think they are versatile enough to be good at whatever we end up doing.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Wasn't TCU griping about Mayfield stealing signs this year? I can only imagine the bellyaching from Patterson if we take his OC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Wasn't TCU griping about Mayfield stealing signs this year? I can only imagine the bellyaching from Patterson if we take his OC.
    Almost make it worth it by itself

vCash

Wasn't TCU griping about Mayfield stealing signs this year?
    Yes, as his team was running up and down the field on us.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I really like the idea of Meacham. I just think he's the right fit for the job. He's not a young guy, but I think that can be offset by his ability to develop players, and he's had plenty of experience at the position.
    I agree with this. I was impressed by the way TCU was able to incorporate both traditional spread pass concepts, while still using enough option or designed QB run to take advantage of Boykins' strengths as a runner. This makes me feel like he can adapt his offense to fit the strengths of the players, and could perhaps find a way to make Knight successful in the system if he needed to.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I've thought about him too. I'm just not sure if he's good enough, because I haven't really followed him recently. I know he was a very good recruiter for Arkansas, and he's coming off of a very good offensive year with Louisville, but I don't know how well he did while at Arkansas.

I like the idea that he's familiar with the program and expectations, and he's a dynamic recruiter. I wouldn't be upset if he were brought in, but I'm not sure how excited I would be.

If I'm not mistaken, he began working at Arkansas as a QB coach, and played a big role in developing Mallett. Then, as the OC, he had a top 10 offense, and helped lead Arkansas to the Sugar Bowl.

He basically has everything I'd want. Successful OC experience, successful QB development experience, talented recruiter, NFL experience, born in Oklahoma, played at OU, and probably not intent on becoming a HC too soon.

vCash

Not that anybody else cares, but rumors are that McGee is drawing some interest from us.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Not that anybody else cares, but rumors are that McGee is drawing some interest from us.
    http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Oklahoma: Per source, Oklahoma is targeting Louisville assistant head coach Garrick McGee. McGee, who is in his first season as offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach at Louisville, will interview with Sooners head coach Bob Stoops. The Cardinals finished 9-4 this season, while playing three different quarterbacks. McGee is a former Oklahoma quarterback.

vCash

No Meacham....Please.....!!!
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

The problem with McGee is he never stays in one position long enough to truly evaluate his impact as a coach for that position.

vCash

The problem with McGee is he never stays in one position long enough to truly evaluate his impact as a coach for that position.
    For the most part, I agree, but that's true for most of the other candidates (Cumbie, Frost, etc.).

vCash

Targeting McGee? (Isn't that 15 yards and ejection?) From so many reports, it just sounds like Bob is interviewing lots of candidates - as he should. "Targeting" implies to me that this is the guy he has honed in on, but I could be reading in too much.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Targeting McGee? (Isn't that 15 yards and ejection?) From so many reports, it just sounds like Bob is interviewing lots of candidates - as he should. "Targeting" implies to me that this is the guy he has honed in on, but I could be reading in too much.
    That's absolutely what targeting means, and I was thinking the same thing. I think they misused the word, though, because it doesn't sound like Bob is willing to leak information to anybody until it's a done deal. I'm not a big fan of journalists.

vCash

Hiring McGee makes me think of John Blake. Hiring a Sooner "guy" didn't work out too well in the past.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    Hiring McGee makes me think of John Blake. Hiring a Sooner "guy" didn't work out too well in the past.
    I keep hearing this about McGee (who by the way turned us down several days ago) and Heupel. I can't understand the criticisms of hiring McGee. Yes, he was an OU guy, but he also had success at Arkansas and Northwestern at the same position we wanted to hire him at.

The Heupel criticism makes a bit more sense, as we promoted him to OC, and he never had any previous experience. I can see why people don't want that again, and would prefer to hire an OC with no ties to Oklahoma in hopes that they would be more qualified.

...but you'd have to pretend like we didn't promote Bud and Barry from within.