Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Thank you Josh Heupel

Josh has always been a classy guy. No doubt he was put in a tough spot when Bob decided to use a mobile qb. He just didn't seem comfortable with the pieces on the field and seemed to make routine, basic plays for most oc's become really confusing, last-second calls. Some of the negative plays have to be player issues but without a real, defined system in place, long drives were really rare unless someone broke one off for 40+yards.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Thanks, Josh, for making me believe in Sooner Magic again after the dark, dark days.

Thanks for showing nothing but Sooner class in 14 years.

When God closes a door, he opens a window. I hope in your case it's a big, sunny window you can step effortlessly through to achieve everything you wish to achieve in this life.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Josh has always been a classy guy. No doubt he was put in a tough spot when Bob decided to use a mobile qb. He just didn't seem comfortable with the pieces on the field and seemed to make routine, basic plays for most oc's become really confusing, last-second calls. Some of the negative plays have to be player issues but without a real, defined system in place, long drives were really rare unless someone broke one off for 40+yards.
    I don't know, if you take Bob's comments from today at face value, it was Josh or someone else that wanted to go with a mobile QB. Bob said he wants an offense and a QB that can throw the football and that that *if* the QB can run, that's a bonus (implying it's not required). He also added he has a pretty good idea what kind of offense he wants to see, so I take that to mean he'll hire an OC that in sync with him.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    I think part of the problem was that Josh was brought in initially to continue Wilson's system (who largely built on and improved the system that had been in place under Chuck Long), rather than to truly implement his own system. And then over time it seemed to gradually morph as we recruited mobile QBs who weren't great as pocket passers, and we got further and further away from what he was comfortable with.

My sense is that Josh is really more of a true spread guy who preferred something closer to what he ran when he was a player, but he wasn't ever really allowed to develop a "system" of his own. Seemed like there were external pressures pushing him to incorporate more power running in an effort to be balanced. Hopefully with a fresh start somewhere else, he'll be able to better develop a core identity/philosophy, rather than trying to take a mashup of several different concepts and make them work together.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I don't know, if you take Bob's comments from today at face value, it was Josh or someone else that wanted to go with a mobile QB. Bob said he wants an offense and a QB that can throw the football and that that *if* the QB can run, that's a bonus (implying it's not required). He also added he has a pretty good idea what kind of offense he wants to see, so I take that to mean he'll hire an OC that in sync with him.
    So Bob is firing Josh because Josh or somebody else wanted to go with a mobile QB etc etc and Bob, Josh's boss, didn't have the power to override Josh's decisions so he fired him because Josh wasn't running the kind of offense he (Josh's boss) doesn't want to see?

Does. Not. Compute.

Bosses boss. That's always been my experience anyway.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    So Bob is firing Josh because Josh or somebody else wanted to go with a mobile QB etc etc and Bob, Josh's boss, didn't have the power to override Josh's decisions so he fired him because Josh wasn't running the kind of offense he (Josh's boss) doesn't want to see?

Does. Not. Compute.

Bosses boss. That's always been my experience anyway.
    I'm not claiming to know the internal workings of the staff. Bosses also delegate and give authority to their reports to do their jobs the way they think is best. But there is also accountability of how things work out. I work at a large software company and that's exactly how things work here. VPs are given broad power of how to run things within their budget and they get fired if they fail. But they make a lot of coin during their tenure - similar to the amount Josh was making in fact.

Maybe Bob was all over the dual threat QB thing when we went that way and he's changed his mind now. He sure sounded certain TODAY that he wants a QB that can throw the dang ball.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

No doubt Huepel was not working. Glad he was shown the door.