Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Bob Stoops: news conference Tuesday Jan. 6 at 11:00 a.m.

Lulz. Same ol' Bob.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

There was a group of posters on LT (middle schoolers, I must assume) that were speculating that Bob was going to resign today saying that he could coach with Boren as president. I think they were just relaying a wet dream they had.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    There was a group of posters on LT (middle schoolers, I must assume) that were speculating that Bob was going to resign today saying that he could coach with Boren as president. I think they were just relaying a wet dream they had.
    Reality is never as enjoyable as rampant speculation.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Reality is never as enjoyable as rampant speculation.
    Amen to that!
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

Bob is going to get some guy who runs an offensive system he likes. Fair enough, he did this with Leach and I can see the logic in picking a guy who has a good scheme. It will probably be a mid-tier or no name guy, which is ok.

I can't understand the logic with not remaking the D however. This D scheme was terrible. Our best d back can't tackle a tackling dummy. Our LB are undersized and take bad angles to the ball. We drop our rush personnel into soft coverage. We give up huge plays in the passing game. We are incapable of playing press coverage. None of this is going to change under the current regime. Very disappointing.

vCash

Monty at co-DC means a demotion for Mike, correct? That's a pretty big revelation to me.

DGB news is also big.

The Heupel news was also related to the press conference, so I'd say this was a pretty big deal.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Monty at co-DC means a demotion for Mike, correct? That's a pretty big revelation to me.

DGB news is also big.

The Heupel news was also related to the press conference, so I'd say this was a pretty big deal.
    Heupel / Norvell news was already out there. Most folks figered DGB was gone but even so I don't think you hold a press conference about a guy that never played a down of football for Oklahoma. The Montgomery promotion was about the only thing newsworthy but IMO not enough for a "special edition" press conference.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Ok, so who is DGB, since I've lived under a rock across the pond?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Heupel / Norvell news was already out there. Most folks figered DGB was gone but even so I don't think you hold a press conference about a guy that never played a down of football for Oklahoma. The Montgomery promotion was about the only thing newsworthy but IMO not enough for a "special edition" press conference.
    The news was released this morning, and I have my doubts that it's coincidental timing. I didn't say it was announced. All I said is that they were associated.

Also was BJW co-DC? If so, I think this indicates he's done.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

How on earth does Bobby Jack Wright still have a job?

vCash

or Kish?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser View Post
    Ok, so who is DGB, since I've lived under a rock across the pond?
    Most talented WR since Calvin Johnson. We almost got him, but Mizzou beat us out. Then he threw a woman down the stairs, and was kicked out. We scooped him up, but he had to sit out a year, and now he's going pro.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post

DGB news is also big.

Agree with 1) and 3). DGB would have been big news if he was staying.

My feeling is that Mike is still looking for a new job, but Bob will keep him another year if he doesn't find one. More changes are coming for sure on the offense side as the new OC will want some of his own guys as position coaches. Same for the defense if Mike does indeed find a new job.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Agree that Mike is probably still looking for a job, but that he will stay for another year if he can't find one. If the reports about them contacting Muschamp are true, then that means Bob is looking to make some changes on defense, and has been for some time. Expect that they are waiting to fire Kish until they know whether Mike is leaving or not (he may want to take Kish with him if he goes). If Mike stays then I would expect them to fire Kish and hire a new LB coach. Kind of surprised that they haven't announced anything about BJW, but I have to expect that he'll probably be gone too.

Doubt any other major changes are coming on offense, aside from a new coordinator/replacements for Heupel and Norvell. Bedenbaugh and Gundy have been very strong position coaches and recruiters. They were supposedly the only assistants besides Monty with job security, so they aren't going to be replaced.

That only leaves Boulware, but his responsibilities are split between TE and special teams, and it's unlikely that an incoming OC would have a strong tie to an existing coach for those positions.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Agree with 1) and 3). DGB would have been big news if he was staying.

My feeling is that Mike is still looking for a new job, but Bob will keep him another year if he doesn't find one. More changes are coming for sure on the offense side as the new OC will want some of his own guys as position coaches. Same for the defense if Mike does indeed find a new job.
    I think we agree on DGB, but have a different way of stating it. I'm not surprised DGB is leaving, and I don't think we're screwed, but it would have been huge if he stayed, so it's a big announcement to to know what he's doing. Had he stayed, I think even Heupel/Norvell/TK would have been very successful next season.

vCash

Looks to me like Montgomery is most likely the defensive coordinator and M Stoops will be handling d-backs, along with BJW. Biggest knock against Kish is he can't recruit, or hasn't done very well at it. LB play is okay. I'm a bit more worried about the D Line if Monty is busy with the overall D. But I suspect, based on their play, that Montgomery knows a thing or two about D. The 2013 D was pretty decent to outstanding, and we started out 2014 like gangbusters, until M Stoops started tinkering with it.

I say give it a chance.

I also won't be surprised if Mike winds up taking a hike, either this season or next, and Kish goes with him. Guess we'll see.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    That only leaves Boulware, but his responsibilities are split between TE and special teams, and it's unlikely that an incoming OC would have a strong tie to an existing coach for those positions.
    If we grab Meacham, I'd be interested in him as the TE coach. I'm interested in a guy who can strictly focus on QB's without having extra duties.

We may need to offer the OC position to entice a great QB coach, though.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Looks to me like Montgomery is most likely the defensive coordinator and M Stoops will be handling d-backs, along with BJW. Biggest knock against Kish is he can't recruit, or hasn't done very well at it. LB play is okay. I'm a bit more worried about the D Line if Monty is busy with the overall D. But I suspect, based on their play, that Montgomery knows a thing or two about D. The 2013 D was pretty decent to outstanding, and we started out 2014 like gangbusters, until M Stoops started tinkering with it.

I say give it a chance.

I also won't be surprised if Mike winds up taking a hike, either this season or next, and Kish goes with him. Guess we'll see.
    Kish needs to go. LB play has been pretty subpar since Venables left, and it's only going to get worse if we don't get somebody here immediately who will be a stronger recruiter.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    Kish needs to go. LB play has been pretty subpar since Venables left, and it's only going to get worse if we don't get somebody here immediately who will be a stronger recruiter.
    Are you saying that the LB play was Par under BV? Because we haven't had decent linebacker play since 2007 or good LB play since 2005. Honestly, given that Mike's scheme doesn't protect the LBs as much as BVs did, I'd say we've marginally improved the last 2 years. That being said, what bothers me the most about our current linebacker play is the lack of effort. If you can't get guys to play hard for you every down, then you don't belong at a school like OU.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

the only tense moment of the press conference was...

John E. Hoover @johnehoover · 52m 52 minutes ago

So now it's inappropriate to ask the highest-paid state employee in Okla why he went on vacation when he was supposed to be working? Gotcha.