SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

recruits and coaching changes

Specifically 8time, you seem in the know, or anyone else....

with coaching changes it's usually inevitable that some guys will switch.

Any thoughts on this....
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: recruits and coaching changes

While waiting on 8times, I'll opine on the situation. With a coaching shake up of this magnitude, Bob, Cale, Bedenbaugh and Monty have to stay in touch with the recruits. Other than that, you just have to let the chips fall where they may...We might not lose any and may even gain some new commits because of the coaching changes...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    While waiting on 8times, I'll opine on the situation. With a coaching shake up of this magnitude, Bob, Cale, Bedenbaugh and Monty have to stay in touch with the recruits. Other than that, you just have to let the chips fall where they may...We might not lose any and may even gain some new commits because of the coaching changes...
    Reasonable assumption about gaining new commits. BJW moves "upstairs" to the football office
    so no losses there, but Mike, Norvell, Huepel moving will likely have some impact...don't know
    much about Kish, though....I'm really just speculating because I don't know. It's snowing, just
    back from the dentist, it's the college offseason, trying to get jacked up about hoops and only
    mildly interested in the NFL...Cowboys and Broncos mostly...so I'm kinda, well, you know....c'mon,
    8time, rescue me.....

Administrator
    vCash

So far, no defections. The two players that Norvell was instrumental in recruiting (John Humphrey and Dede Westbrook) have both publicly stated they are 100% solid with OU, regardless of Norvell's departure. Westbrook did say he was a little upset, and he had looked forward to playing for Norvell, but he trusted Stoops and was still a Sooner.

The only coach departure that could potential cause issues is Mike Stoops, and I don't think even he would cause anyone to decommit. The one guy I was worried about was PJ Mbanasor, but he's also close with Montgomery and Chip Viney, so I don't think there's a fear of losing him regardless of what happens with Mike.

When/if Kish is let go, I don't think it will change anything. DeBerry is a Montgomery/Bob Stoops commit, so he's still coming. Heupel has had some interactions with a couple of guys, but I don't really know how close he is with any of them.

I know the current rumor is that the rest of the cuts will be announced this week, but I'm not so sure. Since it sounds like there are several more cuts on the way, they may not be announced until Signing Day is over, just to make sure we don't lose any recruiting momentum. In any event, I don't see any recruits bailing because any of the rumored cuts happen. That kinda tells you who was really working hard in recruiting.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

PJ Mbanasor and the other 3 who played in the Sempre Fi bowl all said they were still solid...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Thanks...to both.

bball talk... I know...
    Hey Rock, big game tonight. Boys played well against bu except for the slow start. Not sure we can afford that against the horns. I'm excited to see about this year, but next year we get some more length, 7 fter and the 6'7 kid will be eligible. With Buddy and Cousins Sr's, Woodard a Jr, Spangler a Sr...next year SHOULD be a great year.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Yeah, Jeep, good things comin in hoops! Thanks 8time, you da man!
    In hoops, jmho, a good chance for a deep run in Madness...jus sayin...

Sooner Starter
    vCash

PJ Mbanasor and the other 3 who played in the Sempre Fi bowl all said they were still solid...
    "Semper Fi"...Sorry for the transposition. I was regular Navy.

vCash

"Semper Fi"...Sorry for the transposition. I was regular Navy.
    Heh, you type like swabbies march, swaying with the ship's roll....-

vCash

Apparently Monty, Bedenaugh, and Cale are the only ones doing any real recruiting.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Heh, you type like swabbies march, swaying with the ship's roll....-
    Hey you know, beats crunching gravel...

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Apparently Monty, Bedenaugh, and Cale are the only ones doing any real recruiting.
    It's hard to see it any other way right now. I'll include Mike Stoops in that, because he has been a part of the secondary recruiting, but outside of those guys there doesn't seem to be anyone else recruiting (or at least not anywhere near the same level).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Isn't there a rule about missing assistant coaches and being able to contact recruits?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercastor View Post
    Isn't there a rule about missing assistant coaches and being able to contact recruits?
    I'm not sure. There's probably something about that in the rule book.

It really feels like more changes are coming, and Stoops is waiting until after NSD to make those public.