Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Re: New Offensive Coordinator rumor...

Frost makes in the 400k range, so I don't think it would take an outrageous amount to lure him out of there.
    Bazinga

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Frost makes in the 400k range, so I don't think it would take an outrageous amount to lure him out of there.
    Frost may look different without Helfrich looking over his shoulder (and without Mariota). These guys with 1 or 2 years experience at OC make me nervous.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by UteSooner View Post
    Frost may look different without Helfrich looking over his shoulder (and without Mariota). These guys with 1 or 2 years experience at OC make me nervous.
    Yep, right now our offensive personnel in no way resembles the makeup of Oregon's. It's not hard to believe we wouldn't necessarily get the same results trying to run that type system.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Oregon has all the money in the world to give him a raise if they deem him worth it, and nobody knows more about Frost's abilities than Oregon. The only way we get Frost is if we're willing to pay him a lot more than Oregon is, and if that's the case, this doesn't sound like a good investment.

It just kind of reminds of me how NFL teams kept luring away Pittsburgh's star defensive players with hugh pay checks. Nearly every time, Pittsburgh proved they knew the value of their players better than anybody else.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I don't think a huge salary increase over what Oregon can offer is entirely necessary.

As a lot of people in this thread have mentioned, one of the external concerns that people have about Frost is that he's just benefiting from the people around him at Oregon and that he's not really in control of the system. I can't think of a better way to improve your stock as a HC candidate than to go to a different program, implement your system, and have it be effective. If Frost were to come in and have anywhere near the success next year that Oregon's offense has, I would think he would be at the top of almost every HC seach the year after that.

So I would argue that he's got much better prospects for career advancement if he comes to OU and shows that he can make his system work without Mariotta or Helfrich. As long as he's at Oregon, there will be people asking whether he could make that system work when he goes somewhere else.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by UteSooner View Post
    That's what kinda turns me off to Frost. Mariota would have made Heupel look like a rock star. I'm not convinced he's as good as he appears. I wish we knew what he could do without a Heisman QB. That would really tell the story.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

This is from The Football Brainiacs:
    http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-o...t-jason-candle
    - An interesting note to get us started, I was told that Jason Candle flew out of Oklahoma City this morning. Unfortunately that’s all I was told. But as I noted yesterday, and will note again below, OU is trying to make a decision quickly. So it would be no surprise if Candle was in town for an interview.

– Yesterday, Andrew Gilman of Fox Sports reported that the Oklahoma coaching staff met with TCU co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie. Gilman was not sure, however, whether an offer was extended to Cumbie.

– Our own Brandon Drake (@TheDrakeTFB) spoke to a very well placed source regarding any potential interest in Cumbie and while he could not confirm when or where the interview took place, he was able to confirm Cumbie has, in fact, been interviewed by Oklahoma.

– Brandon also confirmed that Cumbie has not yet been offered the job. However, he was told that Cumbie would likely find out one way or the other as early as the “next few days.”

– Brandon also confirmed that the interest in Cumbie is for an offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach position. However none of us have yet been able to confirm whether a “co-” would precede his title and an additional OC would be brought in to actually call plays. We do, however, suspect this would be the case.

– We have also been told that if offered the position, it is highly likely Cumbie would accept.

– We have also been told, in general terms, that with these changes Bob Stoops is looking make are with the intention to “change the culture” inside the program. We didn’t get clarification on what that meant exactly, but Cumbie and I have a mutual friend (former player that played with Cumbie at Tech back in the early 2000’s) and a few mutual acquaintances. And I can tell you that Cumbie is a great recruiter. He does something that I have long criticized certain OU coaches for not doing enough of, he networks. He gets to know the right people and is very well liked.

– I personally think if Cumbie was brought in as a co-offensive coordinator/QB coach it would be a great hire. From everything I’ve heard, he would bring a great energy and recruiting presence to OU. Additionally, Cumbie has coached both wide receivers and quarterbacks in the past and has been successful doing both.

If OU wants to bring in guy who can instantly help the passing game, he seems like a great fit. What he did with Trevone Boykin this past season was nothing short of amazing. If you think back to my OU vs. TCU preview, I didn’t think the Horned Frogs had much of a chance. Primarily because I simply didn’t believe Boykin was capable of making the kind of jump he obviously did in 2014. For me, personally, that went a long way towards putting me in the camp who would be happy to see Cumbie brought in.

– We have previously noted that OU had reached out to the other co-offensive coordinator/play caller at TCU, Doug Meacham. We are still trying to discern just how serious that interest is on both sides, or how far the talks between the two may or may not have progressed. It might be interesting to see a guy like Cumbie paired with a coordinator who runs a balanced attack with roots in the running game.

– Also wanted to note that back in the early 2000’s, when Cumbie and my buddy played for Texas Tech, Bill Bedenbaugh was a GA on that same staff.

– Have also been told there could very likely be another potential coaching candidate brought in later today as there have been preparations made around the football offices suggesting as such.

– One quick final note related to things on the offensive side of the ball. Oregon’s Scott Frost is a name that many of been quick to throw out, while just as many it would seem have been equally as quick to dismiss as being unrealistic. Well, based on some of what we’ve heard the talk is legitimate. Now whether that means OU could actually convince him to come to Norman, we definitely could not say. But the talk is real based on what we’ve been told.

– Wanted to also add that I have been told that there are still a lot of people inside the program that expect to see coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball. I personally want to see it happen in a big way. If it doesn’t happen, I think it would be an incredible disappointment for a number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

I'd be intrigued by the thought of Cumbie as QB coach, and Frost as WR coach. I guess it's somewhat plausible under the right circumstances. Frost would be stepping out of the Oregon shadow, and Cumbie would be moving up to a better school with the same position. Cumbie would be auditioning for the job if Frost were to leave in 2-3 years. It would be interesting to have guys calling our plays with experience from Chip Kelly and Mike Leach.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

^ ^ ^ ^

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouduckhunter View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    The Football Brainiacs is a pretty damn good site...at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Oregon has been running that offense for years. Mariota was the perfect QB for their system. I will echo that I'm not sure Frost is the guy we need.

Jason Candle is intriguing. His offense has balance, but I can't say I watched any Akron football in like, well...ever.

vCash

Chip Kelly's system has worked incredibly well for years, and that precedes Mariota. Oregon's continued success proves that it's not necessary to have Kelly there for the system to continue to work, and nobody knows the system as well as Helfrich and Frost. I absolutely believe that Frost can be successful here, but I'd rather have him as OC/WR coach, and let somebody else coach the QB's (ex: Cumbie). I'm not sure if he's interested in that, and I'd imagine we'd have to break the bank to pry away Frost...leaving little money to bring in a big-time QB coach.

I think concerns of Frost developing QB's is legitimate, as he's never done it. As long as he has the right players, though, I see little reason for concern about him being able to implement the system.

Another concern I have is that Frost will only stick around a year or two if he has success here. He's already a hot commodity, but he'll be THE commodity next year if he makes us one of the top offenses. Hiring a guy like Cumbie would ease my concerns, though. Cumbie should easily be able to step in after Frost, and continue the cycle.

It's kind of a dream scenario, though. We'd really have to break the bank, and selling Frost and Cumbie on this won't be easy. It's plausible, though, so we can hope.

Garrick McGee is a much simpler scenario.

vCash

I also think Petrino is up there with Kelly. I'd like a piece of Kelly, but the same goes for Petrino.

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Not a shot at Meachum.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyMRW View Post
    Not a shot at Meachum.
    It's Meacham Dummy.....And we dont want him...His Resume' is un-impressive......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Mike Gundy for OC!

Administrator
    vCash

Latest rumor: Garrick McGee

Oklahoma: Per source, Oklahoma is targeting Louisville assistant head coach Garrick McGee. McGee, who is in his first season as offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach at Louisville, will interview with Sooners head coach Bob Stoops. The Cardinals finished 9-4 this season, while playing three different quarterbacks. McGee is a former Oklahoma quarterback.
    -Per CoachingSearch.com

EDIT/UPDATE: I've talked with a couple of folks that know more than I do (although I don't really know how much they know, so take it for what it's worth), and I was told that McGee will be in Norman tomorrow (Friday) to interview with Stoops and if things go well, he'll be offered the job. The process could be wrapped up by the weekend.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Latest rumor: Garrick McGee

-Per CoachingSearch.com

EDIT/UPDATE: I've talked with a couple of folks that know more than I do (although I don't really know how much they know, so take it for what it's worth), and I was told that McGee will be in Norman tomorrow (Friday) to interview with Stoops and if things go well, he'll be offered the job. The process could be wrapped up by the weekend.
    Money back guarantee?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Money back guarantee?
    Take it to the bank™!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Take it to the bank™!
    Im still holding out Hope that Bob Offers Vince Young the Job.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !