Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Leons v. cowboys

Looking good so far for my team, primarily because the the Texas longhorns pro-version that most Oklahomans ironically love can't run the ball. Go Leons!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Leons v. cowboys

The Lions are the all time chump NFL organization consistently producing chump teams. But the Cowboys have been chumpy for 20 years themselves and look like they want to take over that crown today.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I have no dog in this fight but the NFL really needs to review their pass interference policy. The defense needs a lot more leeway in defending the pass. Under the current rules smebody like Paul Warfield could have had a thousand more receptions.

vCash

Did folks notice the reaction of Dez Bryant on that go ahead score to Williams? He was right behind Williams and just stopped and jogged off the field like he was disappointed while the rest of the team celebrated. Ice water in his veins or mad he didn't get the TD?

vCash

Ahh it turned out exactly as i expected. Thinkin broyles will be moving on after this season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The Lions are the all time chump NFL organization consistently producing chump teams. But the Cowboys have been chumpy for 20 years themselves and look like they want to take over that crown today.
    I guess eastern old-chump out chumps southwest new age chump. The Lions really did get the shaft on that picked-up PI flag. At full speed, I thought the play was clean too. But the replay clearly showed the defender pushed with his left arm before he threw up his hands claiming innocence. Will be interesting to hear the explanation from the ref crew.

The Cowboys are in the playoffs and gasoline is $1.75 a gallon. What is this, the '90's??
    Aries

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Cowboys Win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by beached_sooner; 1/4/2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: cuz

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I guess eastern old-chump out chumps southwest new age chump. The Lions really did get the shaft on that picked-up PI flag. At full speed, I thought the play was clean too. But the replay clearly showed the defender pushed with his left arm before he threw up his hands claiming innocence. Will be interesting to hear the explanation from the ref crew.
    Picking up that flag was brutal.
    I think it would've of been different if it had never been thrown in the 1st place. For wiw, I agree with Aikman's and Perrera's (sp-?) assessment, but don't really GAS since the NFL obviously rolled-over to the TV network/advertising dollars on Suh's suspension, but personally I think Detroit got screwed big time on the call.
    It's going to be interesting to hear from the NFL on who over-ruled the official that threw the flag, and their spin, or if they even comment, if it was a correct call to over-rule the PI call.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

...and the receiver was tugging on the facemask, they were both in violation of downfield contact rules. It really could have gone either way but ultimately a no call or offsetting was probably correct call.

vCash

Forget about dez running on the field without his helmet. that's not unsportsmanlike like because he was just showing passion!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    ...and the receiver was tugging on the facemask, they were both in violation of downfield contact rules. It really could have gone either way but ultimately a no call or offsetting was probably correct call.
    Yes, but it wasn't consistent with how I'm seen it called in almost every similar situation. If the defender doesn't make a play on the ball and there is any contact that could impair the receiver from coming back to make the catch, the flag is automatic. That left hand push to the TE's shoulder pad was forceful and clearly stopped him from coming back to the ball. I don't think that push was needed to break up the play, but he did do it. All I can guess is that refs talked about it it and the guy that threw the flag just called it because of the lack of playing the ball, but no one saw the contact.

vCash

Per ESPN, here is what the ref said about the play:

"The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference," Morelli said in a pool report. "We got other information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn't warrant pass interference. He thought it was face guarding."

To be fair to the refs, this is what I thought happened too when I saw it live. But the close-up replay showed otherwise and the refs miss things too. It's just odd a flag was thrown and then picked up, as the guy that threw the flag saw something. Gives the Lion's fans something to discuss tomorrow

vCash

They could call offensive holding on multiple people on every play by either team as well but they don't. One of the "points of emphasis" in the preseason was to call illegal contact against either side of the ball more often, we saw that was mostly a preseason only initiative. Both players were hand fighting past five yards, it could have been called on either but yes, usually offense gets the nod.

vCash

The hand fighting was irrelevant. It was the push with the ball in the air that was the thing that always gets called if the defender does not turn around. That's why QBs will just throw it in that situation even if the guy is covered. It's the inconsistency of how a play is called all season that stood out on that play. The players are taught to play the game the way it is called on the field, which is what made that a tough call. But as they say, the refs are part of the game. In 5 years or less, I'll bet that type of play is reviewable.

vCash

Awesome to see TW make the game winning TD!

vCash

The hand fighting was irrelevant. It was the push with the ball in the air that was the thing that always gets called if the defender does not turn around. That's why QBs will just throw it in that situation even if the guy is covered. It's the inconsistency of how a play is called all season that stood out on that play. The players are taught to play the game the way it is called on the field, which is what made that a tough call. But as they say, the refs are part of the game. In 5 years or less, I'll bet that type of play is reviewable.
    There were multiple penalties against each player between those two on that play, they could have called the facemask on the receiver as he pulled the defender towards him. Just one of many fouls.

They just weren't calling much all game, according to the rule every offensive lineman was holding every play but we saw how calling games even somewhat close to the letter of the rules did in the preseason. The main problem is they have too damn many rules, just like with laws. Maybe that is a result of too many lawyers as officials and making the on the field rules.

vCash

There were multiple penalties against each player between those two on that play, they could have called the facemask on the receiver as he pulled the defender towards him. Just one of many fouls.

They just weren't calling much all game, according to the rule every offensive lineman was holding every play but we saw how calling games even somewhat close to the letter of the rules did in the preseason. The main problem is they have too damn many rules, just like with laws. Maybe that is a result of too many lawyers as officials and making the on the field rules.
    Yes, they have too many rules which is why the way it is called is so important. I realize that holding can be call on every play, but that is a red herring. This one just stood out to me because this foul *is* called very consistently, and it is easy to see why. The ball draws the attention of the responsible ref and usually more than one, as happened in this case. It also draws the camera, which is why the fans get so involved. This is one they get right a very high percentage of the time and by "right", I mean consistent between occurrences, not by the letter of the law.

I'm not saying it cost the Lions the game - it certainly did not and bad calls are going to happen. I just understand why a Lion fan would be hot about this because it was late in a close game. I'm sure if the exact same thing happened to the Sooners, there would be howling on this board and understandably so.

vCash

Like one article I read, if the Lions don't have screw up after screw up after that play or get a defensive stop it is a moot point.

4th and 1
    Shanked punt
    Fumble
    Recover Dallas fumble on the same play
    Another fumble

That is just a few of them, the Lions crapped the bed and blew it. The PI non-call isn't was killed them, Lions fans can whine all they want but it was their poor play at the end of the game that sealed their fate.

I'm not even a Dallas fan and can see that. Fans howl all the time, that doesn't mean they are correct.

vCash

Like one article I read, if the Lions don't have screw up after screw up after that play or get a defensive stop it is a moot point.

4th and 1
    Shanked punt
    Fumble
    Recover Dallas fumble on the same play
    Another fumble

That is just a few of them, the Lions crapped the bed and blew it. The PI non-call isn't was killed them, Lions fans can whine all they want but it was their poor play at the end of the game that sealed their fate.

I'm not even a Dallas fan and can see that. Fans howl all the time, that doesn't mean they are correct.
    I think I said all those things. I was just trying to discuss whether this ONE play was correct or not - not all the things the Lions did or didn't do. My opinion is that this play was called incorrectly and I brought it up because I thought at the time it would be looked on as critical and news worthy. Seeing ESPN and other sports news outlets today, my assumption was correct about it being news worthy. I'd guess that about 90% of the media and guest football experts (including ex-refs) agree with me on the call, but there were a couple that did not. Just another aspect of the entertainment value of sports. For the record, I'm not a fan or hater of either team.

Another tidbit I found interesting is the output of the moving-odds-of-outcome software that ESPN uses. It estimated that the odds of the Lions winning dropped from 78% to 66% when the flag was picked up. That's pretty big jump for one play given there was a fair amount of time left, so that supports it being critical. But it also shows that the Lions should still have won 2 out of 3 times anyway if they didn't screw up.