Thread: 1989 LMM vs OU

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

1989 LMM vs OU

holy crap...80+ at half. Brent Price 56
    I don't know how many 1 handed full court passes for a shot I saw.

Unbelievable
    172 - 112

the guys didn't even look like they broke a sweat..lol

Fun to watch....I remember Price scoring 50 something against them...but man. Terry Evans had some great full court one handed ASSISTS.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: 1989 LMM vs OU

That was 1990 (90/91 season). Price was not eligible in 89/90 due to transfer rules. (The 89/90 team was better and one of the best in the nation despite the failure against UNC.)

I was at that game too. Crazy. I remember pushing for Price to break Tisdale's record.

Also of note was that when we played them in '89 Hank Gathers was still around. He was sadly gone before the 90 game.

Administrator
    vCash

Yeah, it was '90. What a game!

I remember the '89 game too, and the whole Hank Gathers thing really resonated with me. I remember Bo Kimble shooting right handed during the tournament (he was left handed), as a tribute to Gathers.

If you get a chance, watch the ESPN 30 for 30 "Guru of Go", it's about the program around that time.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

I kind of thought that but the tele has 89....ah well. Yes it was crazy, there were times it was 2 passes and a shot or dunk. Crazy.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I was thinking that Bo Kimble played in 90/91 but he had already gone pro.

It looks like Gathers didn't play against us in 89. If I remember right he sat out because of the heart condition before his fateful comeback. (Looked it up and Gathers first collapsed on 12/9 and we played them on 12/23.)

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-bas...021805aag.html

I wonder what LMU could have done in '90 with Gathers. They made it to the regional final anyway but I suppose if they were going to be up against UNLV they weren't going to win either way.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

I miss those teams. They were so fun to watch. And that run by LMM in the tourney, blasting Michigan, was one for the ages. If UNLV hadn't been on their side of the bracket, they would have made the Final 4 that year.

Bo Kimble shooting Fts with his left hand for his fallen friend. Good stuff too.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

Had to watch it. So sad. Heck of an athlete that I believe would have been pretty good at the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcD5XUXfr1Y

LMM 1900 schedule.

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-bas...90-result.html

Man, they could score. I recall them, OU and a little school out of Florida, FL International, that put up sick points during that time as well.

Crazy times in College Sports. Even UNLV would roll opponents.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.