Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Post-game article

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Golfer View Post
    OU used to be able to compete for the star players in Texas when it was only UT and A&M to compete against. Now, throw in Baylor and TCU who are getting many of them and it's not as easy.

One of the things that appears to be going against Stoops is, where most teams take a couple of years to turn a program around, Stoops took a team that didn't have a winning season in the previous 5 years and went 7-5 his first year and 13-0 and a national championship his second. Expectations became so high that winning 8 games in his worst years and averaging over 10 wins a season isn't good enough. We can't lose more than one game and have to be playing for the national championship or the season is a failure.

Fulmer at Tennessee went 152-52 and was fired. Since then, Tennessee has gone 34-40. Be careful of what you wish for.
    10 wins only tells part of the story. If we aren't part of the national championship landscape then 10 wins is no more than a talking point. The decision to keep or replace coaches needs to be based on some objective criteria. Being afraid of making a hiring decision shouldn't be a reason to remain status quo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I think JKM has it nailed down pretty well. The game Bob and Mike Stoops learned and grew up in has changed, and while they've attempted to adapt, they haven't quite gotten there and aren't comfortable with the current game and scheme and even the players.

As for someone else...I really have no idea. The obvious candidates aren't coming, or you'd have to throw so much money at them that it's not worth it. Even then, there are no guarantees.

Saban was major embarrassed in the Sugar Bowl against Utah a few years ago, and there were some bonehead plays last year (a million yard field goal with no time left against Auburn), and of course he trotted out the 'consolation bowl' argument last year. No guarantees.

Stoops is and can be an excellent coach. Right now, none of us really know if the problem is too much micromanaging or not enough. And ultimately it doesn't matter what we think...it matters what the Board of Regents thinks, and I'm sure they'll let Stoops know what they think. Until then, it's just a lot of spleen venting.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    I think JKM has it nailed down pretty well. The game Bob and Mike Stoops learned and grew up in has changed, and while they've attempted to adapt, they haven't quite gotten there and aren't comfortable with the current game and scheme and even the players.

As for someone else...I really have no idea. The obvious candidates aren't coming, or you'd have to throw so much money at them that it's not worth it. Even then, there are no guarantees.

Saban was major embarrassed in the Sugar Bowl against Utah a few years ago, and there were some bonehead plays last year (a million yard field goal with no time left against Auburn), and of course he trotted out the 'consolation bowl' argument last year. No guarantees.

Stoops is and can be an excellent coach. Right now, none of us really know if the problem is too much micromanaging or not enough. And ultimately it doesn't matter what we think...it matters what the Board of Regents thinks, and I'm sure they'll let Stoops know what they think. Until then, it's just a lot of spleen venting.
    The problem with using Saban as your example is Saban is in the National title hunt almost every year. He has the occasional year where he loses 2 games and isn't in it, but Bob has been on the downward spiral for several years in a row. Saban had a down year last year and this year (I hate to say it) will probably win the national title and if not he was at least in the game.

Who are the obvious candidates that aren't coming? We haven't made any attempts to see if they'd be interested. Not saying we'd get Saban or Meyer. We haven't asked anyone. I think Briles or Patterson would leave their school to come here. I'd look at Scott Frost OC for Oregon, Kirby Smart DC for Alabama.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    The problem with using Saban as your example is Saban is in the National title hunt almost every year. He has the occasional year where he loses 2 games and isn't in it, but Bob has been on the downward spiral for several years in a row. Saban had a down year last year and this year (I hate to say it) will probably win the national title and if not he was at least in the game.

Who are the obvious candidates that aren't coming? We haven't made any attempts to see if they'd be interested. Not saying we'd get Saban or Meyer. We haven't asked anyone. I think Briles or Patterson would leave their school to come here. I'd look at Scott Frost OC for Oregon, Kirby Smart DC for Alabama.
    Briles and Patterson won't leave. Briles' entire coaching career is in Texas, high school and college. He's a Texan through and through and quite happy at Baylor. Patterson is established at TCU and has the program where he wants it. A coordinator would jump at the chance to come to Oklahoma.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Who are the obvious candidates that aren't coming?
    There are only a couple of coaches that are clearly better than Stoops, and we aren't getting any of them. We're not getting Harbaugh, Meyer, Saban, or any of the NFL guys like Pete Carroll. Patterson isn't an upgrade. Briles might, but that's still TBD, and even UT couldn't get him, so we sure aren't.

Hiring a coordinator makes sense in some situations, but it's beyond me why anybody would even think about firing a guy like Stoops just to grab a guy with absolutely no HC experience.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    There are only a couple of coaches that are clearly better than Stoops, and we aren't getting any of them. We're not getting Harbaugh, Meyer, Saban, or any of the NFL guys like Pete Carroll. Patterson isn't an upgrade. Briles might, but that's still TBD, and even UT couldn't get him, so we sure aren't.

Hiring a coordinator makes sense in some situations, but it's beyond me why anybody would even think about firing a guy like Stoops just to grab a guy with absolutely no HC experience.
    I'm not saying Bob needs to go. I'm more of a Mike, Josh, BJW and Kish need to go. They shouldn't even have been allowed to get on the plane, should have been fired before they even made it inside the locker room. Bob won't do it and that's one of the reasons I don't really care for him to stay. He won't make the tough decisions. Mike's defense sucked and there was talent and yeah it was inexperienced but they didn't get better they got worse as the season went on. That's poor coaching.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Bob Stoops is not going to be fired and he's not going to fire his brother. But hey, there's always Alabama...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Yes but part of that reason is that Alabama (the state) is producing talent at unhistorical levels. If Oklahoma was producing 2-3 1st round picks every single year (guaranteeing 7-8 on a team), we'd be in the national title hunt every year. Right now, Alabama is producing as much 1st round talent as Texas and there is a lot less competition for those players. Ever since the state of Texas embraced the spread, the teams who recruit the "best" in Texas have had their average talent level reduced dramatically.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    Bob Stoops is not going to be fired and he's not going to fire his brother. But hey, there's always Alabama...
    You guys like to make fun of the Alabama victory, but it's meaningful, seeing as it came against one of the only guys who could replace Bob. I can't recall anybody that's outdueled Bob for any length of time other than Briles. He's got the edge on Snyder, overmatched Belotti, wiped his *** with Gundy, outdueled Leach and Patterson, shamed Brown, punched Jimbo in the mouth, lost a close one to Meyer, and traded blows with Saban.

I don't know how you expect to easily replace this guy.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not saying Bob needs to go. I'm more of a Mike, Josh, BJW and Kish need to go. They shouldn't even have been allowed to get on the plane, should have been fired before they even made it inside the locker room. Bob won't do it and that's one of the reasons I don't really care for him to stay. He won't make the tough decisions. Mike's defense sucked and there was talent and yeah it was inexperienced but they didn't get better they got worse as the season went on. That's poor coaching.
    I was going to watch the 1st half again tonight, but then I watched Clemson's 1st offensive play and we had 3 defensive players out on the edge and all 3 of them whiffed and acted like clowns who had never played defensive football before. I really don't know how you could put any other way than just poor pathetic coaching.
    Back when Stoops came here, if any of his players pulled that kind of "let somebody else make the play" they would've been benched indefinitely.
    We've either recruited some way below average players or there's some other problem percolating behind the scenes. Just sad. Geez. I know LSU got beaten today by ND, but if there would've been 3 LSU defenders out there instead of ours, the Clemson guy would've had his head ripped off.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    I was going to watch the 1st half again tonight, but then I watched Clemson's 1st offensive play and we had 3 defensive players out on the edge and all 3 of them whiffed and acted like clowns who had never played defensive football before. I really don't know how you could put any other way than just poor pathetic coaching.
    Back when Stoops came here, if any of his players pulled that kind of "let somebody else make the play" they would've been benched indefinitely.
    We've either recruited some way below average players or there's some other problem percolating behind the scenes. Just sad. Geez. I know LSU got beaten today by ND, but if there would've been 3 LSU defenders out there instead of ours, the Clemson guy would've had his head ripped off.
    When three guys whiff, that's "failure to execute." It's not like they've never been taught to how to tackle.

Ultimately, yes, our coaching staff brought those players in, so it's their responsibility to bring guys in that can execute, but by those standards, any type of shortcoming on the field is always coaching with no exceptions. We might as well blame the coaches for everything that goes wrong, and not worry about analyzing any of it.

I suppose we may be able to give Mike a bit of pardon for his defensive scheme if any of those three whiffers were brought in by other coaches, though.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

You guys like to make fun of the Alabama victory, but it's meaningful, seeing as it came against one of the only guys who could replace Bob. I can't recall anybody that's outdueled Bob for any length of time other than Briles. He's got the edge on Snyder, overmatched Belotti, wiped his *** with Gundy, outdueled Leach and Patterson, shamed Brown, punched Jimbo in the mouth, lost a close one to Meyer, and traded blows with Saban.

I don't know how you expect to easily replace this guy.
    I don't know about "You guys" but that was Hoover's comment. I loved the Bama victory and I don't want Bob fired. I just want the aliens who abducted him to send him back...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Is Clemson really 34 pts better than you guys? Heck no. Simply put, Oklahoma looked like a team that didn't want to be there. Sound familiar??
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanball View Post
    Is Clemson really 34 pts better than you guys? Heck no. Simply put, Oklahoma looked like a team that didn't want to be there. Sound familiar??
    We got our asses handed to us, and we own that.

Your turn.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Yes but part of that reason is that Alabama (the state) is producing talent at unhistorical levels. If Oklahoma was producing 2-3 1st round picks every single year (guaranteeing 7-8 on a team), we'd be in the national title hunt every year. Right now, Alabama is producing as much 1st round talent as Texas and there is a lot less competition for those players. Ever since the state of Texas embraced the spread, the teams who recruit the "best" in Texas have had their average talent level reduced dramatically.
    Out of the top 16 players recruited this year by Alabama only 4 are from Alabama.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Out of the top 16 players recruited this year by Alabama only 4 are from Alabama.
    The players they're recruiting this year have had no impact on their past or present success.

Also, the year the state of Oklahoma produced Gresham, Bradford, and McCoy, I'd bet OU had similar numbers. Those guys obviously had a pretty big impact even though it was only three guys.

vCash

The players they're recruiting this year have had no impact on their past or present success.
    Right, but he said "producing" as in the present tense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

Right, but he said "producing" as in the present tense.
    The state of Alabama is still producing excellent players. It's just not that Alabama is getting them all anymore. Auburn is being successful in home town recruits, too.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Correct. Saban recruits nationally and relentlessly goes wherever the talent is. Blake Barnett, the top-rated QB of the 2015 class, is from California and signed with us and Derrick Henry, the all-time leading HS rusher(who you saw in last yrs sugar bowl) is from the state of Florida. We recruit coast to coast--we have to, as mentioned our state does not produce enough D-1 talent to support our program. We've finished with the number one class (as rated by Rivals) 5 of the last 6 yrs, and never out of the top 10 in the 8 yrs he's been here.

Of course, recruiting is only one piece that is vital to achieving and maintaining a highly successful program, you also need coaches that that can develop talent, which I think both Saban and Stoops are very good at. What has really surprised me though and seems to run parallel to your program's recent slide is that you all don't seem to be getting the amount of elite pkayers that you used to, and it has been reflected in the recruiting rankings. I know that recruiting is not an exact science, yada yada yada... But rankings are usually a pretty good indicator. I'd like to read an honest, detailed assessment of your recruiting over the last 6-7 yrs from one of you and to what extent you think that might tie in to the current state of your program.
    Last edited by Sabanball; 12/31/2014 at 05:33 PM.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Golfer View Post
    The state of Alabama is still producing excellent players. It's just not that Alabama is getting them all anymore. Auburn is being successful in home town recruits, too.
    Auburn only has 4 commits of the 4-5 star type from within Alabama. I'll stipulate that on a per capita basis Alabama is producing some good talent but the preponderance of recruits for both of these schools is coming from out of state. It isn't in-state talent that is making Alabama the premier program in the country. It is coaching and the ability of these coaches to go where they want and recruit the talent they want.