Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Mike Stoops defends record by citing Sugar Bowl win; Big 12 co-champs two years a

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    To answer Mike's question...No, being a "Conference Co-Champion" isn't good enough...
    The team needs to improve to get to Conference Co-Champions.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Mike Stoops defends record by citing Sugar Bowl win; Big 12 co-champs two years a

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The team needs to improve to get to Conference Co-Champions.
    "Co-champion" is not something to be proud of. No being co-champions of the big 12 conference would not make me happy. I don't think we should even claim "co-championships" That's something Oklahoma State would do.

Higher standards at Oklahoma.

vCash

Co-championships are only acceptable to claim if it's a situation like Baylor and TCU this year and you are Baylor. It is not acceptable to claim them when you get your *** handed to you by the team you are supposedly co-champs with.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    "Co-champion" is not something to be proud of. No being co-champions of the big 12 conference would not make me happy. I don't think we should even claim "co-championships" That's something Oklahoma State would do.

Higher standards at Oklahoma.
    My remark was sarcasm - but also fact. The team needs to climb up to co-champs so you can be less "not proud" than you are now. When was the last time OU was declared champs w/o the "co"? Even in '08 and '10, OU had to have an edge in a south division tie breaker against a team that beat them in order to get to the CCG. Thank goodness for the 3-way tie. The last time OU was undisputed winner in the division and then conference was '07. So without a CCG, 7 full seasons would have past since the last outright title. Now with no CCG, you may be "not proud" for quite some time.

vCash
    Mike's defensiveness is pretty standard Stoops speak, but it makes me wonder if they aren't all going to circle the wagons and we will have no changes made after the bowl game
    Posted from iOS app

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

As long as we're on the co-champ discussion, these were the final standings of 2012:

#12 Kansas State 8 – 1 11 – 2
    #15 Oklahoma 8 – 1 10 – 3
    #19 Texas 5 – 4 9 – 4
    Oklahoma State 5 – 4 8 – 5
    Baylor 4 – 5 8 – 5
    TCU 4 – 5 7 – 6
    Texas Tech 4 – 5 8 – 5
    West Virginia 4 – 5 7 – 6
    Iowa State 3 – 6 6 – 7
    Kansas 0 – 9 1 – 11
    We only had an identical conference record with KSU (who beat us at home), but our overall record was worse because we also lost to Notre Dame at home. I remember seeing a Big 12 championship t-shirt rack at Walmart and laughing after that... they actually made t-shirts????

They might have made us a trophy and Walmart might have sold t-shirts, but we really had no claim to share the Big 12 championship with Kansas State that year. They won the head to head and it was in Norman, for cryin' out loud... AND they had a better overall record, too!

But hey, that's also the last season we actually beat Baylor *groan*

Sooner Starter
    vCash

This is kinda sad really...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

vCash

I am not confidant that Bob will ever win the Big 12 out right again. Art has his number and Patterson finally has an offensive coach to go with his defense. Bob needs to get rid of Mike and the majority of the coaches on the defensive side of the ball and that might not be enough.

Charlie Strong is going to have Texas in contention again, which I really hate saying. I don't know how much longer Snyder will coach, but as long as he is at K-State they have a shot to beat us.

vCash

Wow... I used to admire the fire in those brothers.

Mike can take a flying leap, elsewhere.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

"I will not shy away from the expectations that are here in Oklahoma. In fact, we'll embrace them. There should be great expectations here." - Bob Stoops 1999

"If co-champs and losing by a game a year ago and beating (Alabama in) the Sugar Bowl isn’t good enough and tying what Baylor did — you know what I mean? — if that’s not good enough, then I’m sorry." - Mike Stoops 2014
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I'd expect no less. Although I'm not anti-Stoops but they always bring up past success when faced with recent failure. That being said Julian Wilson couldn't defend Jimmy from South Park Elementary and Eric Striker maybe one of the most overrated LBs in Sooner history.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

How do you get better from there?

A: Gotta get better. Schematically, personnel, improve in a lot of areas. But there’s only so much you can — you know what I mean? — player-wise, you can do. You’ve got to improve your players. You’ve got to improve your situation.
    There's only so much you can do? You're the one responsible for the defense. I assume he identifies the recruiting targets at DB and so he's responsible for the personnel. It's his scheme. Sounds like there is only one area to improve in - Defensive Coordinator.

That was a pretty sorry interview for Mike and kind of embarrassing to read.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 WA. Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

That interview alone is reason to get another coordinator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    I'd expect no less. Although I'm not anti-Stoops but they always bring up past success when faced with recent failure. That being said Julian Wilson couldn't defend Jimmy from South Park Elementary and Eric Striker maybe one of the most overrated LBs in Sooner history.
    Striker spent way too much time in coverage when he is one of the best pass rushers in college football. That's a coaching mistake. ... Julian Wilson should have been playing safety instead of corner, which is also a coaching mistake. Also, if you have a guy who is consistently getting beat, then you don't keep putting him out there. I don't care what happens in practice with those younger guys who aren't "proven" put them in the game and see what happens cause clearly the upperclassmen with experience wasn't getting it done. This is also a coaching mistake.

vCash

Guess Mike'll still have to keep talkin' about that Sugar bowl. Going to be like Al Bundy and his 4-TD game in HS before long.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Guess Mike'll still have to keep talkin' about that Sugar bowl. Going to be like Al Bundy and his 4-TD game in HS before long.
    this is great. lol

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    We should recruit at Polk High.
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Look... I know I'm old and can't run, not very strong and kind of fat. But I was in pretty good shape 25 years ago. If that's not good enough now, that's your problem.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Hah... from the espn/twitter feeds:

johnehoover John E. Hoover
    When I asked Stoops abt all the bowl blowout Ls, he said I should also bring up the bowl Ws. Including -- you guessed it -- Bama.#Sooners
    14 minutes ago

Jake_Trotter Jake Trotter
    Did Stoops really bring up the Bama game tonight?