Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Mike Stoops defends record by citing Sugar Bowl win; Big 12 co-champs two years ago

I didn't see this posted, but you must read this:
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...142144b56.html

Lowlights (Mike Stoops quotes in bold):
    there was a presumption that you’re gonna bring back that old edge to the defense. Has that happened?

A: Well, listen, we just came off a Sugar Bowl win. What do you want me to say? We just beat Alabama. So that isn’t good enough for them? Or you?
    A: So last year we were No. 1 (in the Big 12) in pass defense.

And this year you’re No. 10 (in the Big 12), I think?

A: Or No. 9, whatever, I don’t know. So, it’s finding balance.

And you have a lot of the same players?

A: No. We lost what would have been a No. 1 draft pick in Aaron Colvin, had he not hurt his knee.

But you knew Colvin was graduating.

A: That’s what I’m saying. What’s changed? The two guys we lost were in the secondary. We lost two seniors. We lost Gabe Lynn, who played for us for four or five years, and same with Aaron Colvin. Those are the two guys we missed. So, again, you know, they’re talented and we miss those guys. And you’re replacing them with freshmen.
    When Bill Blankenship brought in his son to be the quarterbacks coach at Tulsa, everybody asked, “Why in the world would you do that?” A lot of people are asking the same about Bob bringing back his brother.

A: Well, we played pretty well last year. Sugar Bowl’s not good enough? Beating Alabama?

Yes, but the team did not win a Big 12 championship.

A: Well, I mean, we missed by one game. What are you gonna do? We tied the year before. That’s not good enough? If that ain’t good enough, that ain’t good enough. I can’t — that’s hurtful. If co-champs and losing by a game a year ago and beating (Alabama in) the Sugar Bowl isn’t good enough and tying what Baylor did — you know what I mean? — if that’s not good enough, then I’m sorry. You know what I mean? I work hard and try hard to do my best. I can’t please everybody.
    TLDR version: We beat Bama in a bowl last year. We co-won the Big 12 two years ago. Talk about how awesome we are at rush defense; please don't bring up where we rank on passing defense.

I hope this isn't want he tells potential recruits.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Mike Stoops defends record by citing Sugar Bowl win; Big 12 co-champs two years a

I read this in the World yesterday. Definitely a lot of looking back to previous accomplishments in his replies.

Hopefully more "seasoning" on this young secondary is a key element to get some type of pass coverage in place for next year or the fans will be all over social media once again calling for Mike's head and referencing now further distant accomplishments will be even more lame.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Mike Stoops defends record by citing Sugar Bowl win; Big 12 co-champs two years a

No one cares about last year. It was what happened this year. I saw no "fire in the belly" from this year's defense. Bowl game will be interesting, and I suspect the Clemson's defense will out shine OU's.

I am not a fan of reporters, but when they do their job and ask tough questions and don't accept non-answers, some truth begins to out. In this case, holding some feet to the fire is working. Mike can't even form coherent sentences. Why? Because he can't answer honestly.

Let me translate the answers as I see them.

1. I thought I was going to bring back the edge to the defense too. I am not getting the job done.
    2. We lost talent that has not been replaced. Those guys we lost were pretty good, but still had issues. The guys we have now really aren't getting the job done.
    3. We do not develop depth at the University of Oklahoma. When the starter goes down, we are stuck with freshmen and walk ons.
    4. We played pretty good last year (if you look at the last 4 games). I don't know WTF is wrong but this year should be discounted because I have many excuses.
    5. The reason I can't please everybody (i.e., have a top 25 defense) is that recruiting has been bad as evidenced by play on the field, retention has been bad, player development has been bad, and my scheme obviously cannot stop good passing teams for whatever reason - personnel most likely but I can't shame my players or my head coach. I don't know what to do so I will hope I can keep cashing checks and do the best I can.

vCash

Our fellow Sooners at Land Thieves have a six-pager on this already if you want to see more fan angst:
    http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...facts-straight

I hope they don't mind if I borrow a few of their thread's images to illustrate what went wrong in our worst defensive performance of the year, which I will henceforth call "The Bailure:"

The two definitely go together. Sorry to relive the nightmare, but the coaches were instructing corners to play about 10 yards off the receivers, resulting in endless completed passes to Baylor WRs. Let me add one of my own to the mix:

Julian Wilson finally got fed up with participating in the pillow softie cushion defense and tried to go for the ball instead and got into a shouting match with Coaches Stoops on the sideline after... and was subsequently benched. Well, Julian, at least you tried. I supported your efforts then and still do.

vCash

That hurt my head trying to read it.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The only thing good to come from that interview was seeing how mad it made people on LT. They do get riled over there.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....we used to do some stuff but not now but remember that one time, and then there was that other time, why do you want to talk about now and take away from then?

....good lord

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ....we used to do some stuff but not now but remember that one time, and then there was that other time, why do you want to talk about now and take away from then?

....good lord

ss
    It is the appropriate season for auld lang syne.

vCash

Having read the interview transcript, I think Mike was trying to Youngstown'ish
    a la Pelini, but cleaner...that's why all the hem hawing....:-)

Mike has had a rough go of it lately but it seems like there is something personal going on.

From my perspective it seems like Hoover is really trying to kick him while he's down. Am I missing a backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Our fellow Sooners at Land Thieves have a six-pager on this already if you want to see more fan angst:
    http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...facts-straight

I hope they don't mind if I borrow a few of their thread's images to illustrate what went wrong in our worst defensive performance of the year, which I will henceforth call "The Bailure:"

The two definitely go together. Sorry to relive the nightmare, but the coaches were instructing corners to play about 10 yards off the receivers, resulting in endless completed passes to Baylor WRs. Let me add one of my own to the mix:

Julian Wilson finally got fed up with participating in the pillow softie cushion defense and tried to go for the ball instead and got into a shouting match with Coaches Stoops on the sideline after... and was subsequently benched. Well, Julian, at least you tried. I supported your efforts then and still do.
    That makes for good message board fodder but that isn't what really happened.

Wilson was getting chewed out for blowing an assignment.

Julian constantly preferred to play as far off receivers as possible. He was always scared of being burnt deep. You'd see Sanchez on the opposite side usually 2-3 yards closer to the LOS.

Moving him to corner was a failed experiment, to which I'd blame Mike.

vCash

that isn't what really happened
    Eyes of the beholder, I guess. I'm not saying you're wrong or Mike Stoops is wrong, I'm just saying I disagree

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

The one quote that got me...

basically we have freshman replacing 2 draft-able Sr's from last year in Colvin and Lynn

Why? hmmm, we only recruit every 4 years? WHY would you, when you KNOW you have 2 guys who have played 3 years graduating the next year, not find replacements? I know kids don't work out but Mike's response seems like a horrible answer...it's like they didn't know that was coming and didn't recruit anyone.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

if that’s not good enough, then I’m sorry. You know what I mean? I work hard and try hard to do my best.

Caution explicit language

When did Mike turn into such a *****? We hurt his feelings. Isn't tying for a championship and coming one game away good enough? We're just hurtful.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

To answer Mike's question...No, being a "Conference Co-Champion" isn't good enough. I remember after we were "Co-champs" we went to the cotton bowl and played Johnny Football and in the intro video a player (I think Ikard) said "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" Right after I heard that I looked over at a couple people at my house watching the game with me and said "We lost." That quote "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" is sad.

If Mike thinks that's acceptable then he needs to hit the road.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    To answer Mike's question...No, being a "Conference Co-Champion" isn't good enough. I remember after we were "Co-champs" we went to the cotton bowl and played Johnny Football and in the intro video a player (I think Ikard) said "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" Right after I heard that I looked over at a couple people at my house watching the game with me and said "We lost." That quote "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" is sad.

If Mike thinks that's acceptable then he needs to hit the road.
    I've defended Mike since the beginning, but this co champ crap is exactly that, crap. So bama should be satisfied to be co sec West champs? This is insane and a coaching staff that can't wait for this season to be over. I'll be shocked if some coaches aren't let go...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

It's very disheartening to hear Stoops basically admit that after 3 years he still can't put it all together. I hope they can turn it around next year, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Bottom Line _______________ Our Defense sucks and has done so for the better part of a decade.

Fix it or GTFO!!!