Baylor out bids Taco Tech for 5 star QB

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Baylor out bids Taco Tech for 5 star QB

Too bad we didn't out bid for him...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Guess we can expect some more 30 point beatdowns for the next 4 years. And here I was happy that Petty was leaving because Russell or whoever their backup is looks as mediocre as TK.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Guess we can expect some more 30 point beatdowns for the next 4 years. And here I was happy that Petty was leaving because Russell or whoever their backup is looks as mediocre as TK.
    Russell isn't terrible at all, and I think he'll at least get the start for the first game of the season. That's what Briles did when RGIII came in. Syzmanski was named the starter at the beginning of the season before he was benched for Griff. In any case, I expect him to give Russell a chance.

Russell started against Northwestern State when Petty was out with the back injury. Granted it was just NWS, but still he was 16/25 with 5 TDs plus a rushing TD. Not too shabby. For the season he is 48/85 and 8 TDs. That's not stellar, but I think Petty had similar numbers. Russell is very capable of improving to where he needs to be this summer. I'm not saying he won't get passed over, but he definitely isn't horrible.

We also have 4* Chad President committed, so we're stocked up on QB talent. It's going to be fun watching those guys throw to K.D. Cannon for the next 3 (hopefully) years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    I'm truly shocked that a 5* QB would de-commit from a team with 4 wins this season choosing instead to go to a school with an offensive wizard as HC and a staff with a stellar reputation for developing QBs with an outstanding WR corps. Shocked I tell you.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Russell started against Northwestern State when Petty was out with the back injury. Granted it was just NWS, but still he was 16/25 with 5 TDs plus a rushing TD. Not too shabby.
    Congrats to him for performing slightly above average against air.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I doubt Stidham starts next year. That video shows some mechanical issues that Baylor will probably want to clean up before throwing him out there against college defenses. He really slings the ball in somewhat of a side-arm motion and he really looks to rely solely on his arm rather than getting his footwork right and getting his body into the throw. Although with Baylor's short timing routes and good receiving corps, it may not matter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernIowaSooner View Post
    I doubt Stidham starts next year. That video shows some mechanical issues that Baylor will probably want to clean up before throwing him out there against college defenses. He really slings the ball in somewhat of a side-arm motion and he really looks to rely solely on his arm rather than getting his footwork right and getting his body into the throw. Although with Baylor's short timing routes and good receiving corps, it may not matter.
    It'll take him awhile to learn the system. He can't just take a playbook home and study at night -- we don't use a playbook. The offense is taught by snapping the ball in practice, so he has practice to learn the offense and that's it.

Briles did throw RGIII right into the fire his first year coaching, but that was a different set of circumstances. And the o-line was so bad it ended with him getting a torn ACL. We're better now, but I just prefer not to throw a freshman QB into the game as a starter.

vCash

Again, I think Russell starts. I think we have a 7-8 win season next year.

Administrator
    vCash

Like Sic 'Em said, it's not hard to understand why he decommitted from Tech, nor is it hard to understand why he committed to Baylor. If you're a QB that likes to throw the ball, that's a pretty damn good place to play.

If I've learned anything from years of following recruiting it's that 5 stars doesn't automatically make a kid the next Peyton Manning, nor does 3 stars make him the next Joey Halze (no offense to Joey, but he wasn't Sam Bradford).

Bryce Petty was a 3 star QB, and he did pretty good. In 2008, Dayne Crist was one of two 5 star QBs in the country...he ended up at KU after a poor showing at Notre Dame. He finished his last season as the worst QB in all the FBS. My point is that you never know what you're really getting until they play, so I wouldn't assume he's the next great QB that will start his freshman year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

The fact that Kliff seems to chase QB's away as much as he gets them has to hurt his QB recruiting. Kliff is basically John Blake without some veteran coaches around him like Blake had when he was hired.

Speaking of that, the former OC under Blake, Dick Winder passed away on December 8th. He was the coach at Monahans TX when my wife was in high school there so she had seen it pop up from some former classmates.

Steamboat Today - Dick Winder Obituary

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Like Sic 'Em said, it's not hard to understand why he decommitted from Tech, nor is it hard to understand why he committed to Baylor. If you're a QB that likes to throw the ball, that's a pretty damn good place to play.

If I've learned anything from years of following recruiting it's that 5 stars doesn't automatically make a kid the next Peyton Manning, nor does 3 stars make him the next Joey Halze (no offense to Joey, but he wasn't Sam Bradford).

Bryce Petty was a 3 star QB, and he did pretty good. In 2008, Dayne Crist was one of two 5 star QBs in the country...he ended up at KU after a poor showing at Notre Dame. He finished his last season as the worst QB in all the FBS. My point is that you never know what you're really getting until they play, so I wouldn't assume he's the next great QB that will start his freshman year.
    I agree. Stars don't mean a lot to me. I think all it's indicative of is the base talent level that the staff has to work with. Some staffs never develop the talent or sometimes the talent screws things up for himself -- in either case, it's only what the player and coaches make of it.

vCash

I saw Stidham play this year. He may end up the next Tom Brady, but he didn't blow me away.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I saw Stidham play this year. He may end up the next Tom Brady, but he didn't blow me away.
    You must not have offered him enough.

vCash

You must not have offered him enough.
    I don't have the deep pockets that Baylor University does.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I don't have the deep pockets that Baylor University does.
    Well played.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Baylor has already got its basketball programs in trouble with the NCAA, just wait, the football program will be next. Something doesn't SMELL right in Waco.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    Baylor has already got its basketball programs in trouble with the NCAA, just wait, the football program will be next. Something doesn't SMELL right in Waco.
    Something doesn't smell right with you.....smells fishy.

vCash

By the way, Chad President decommitted. If you guys need a QB then you may want to go hunting. I can't blame the guy, and I actually have mixed feelings about it. President was a 100% Baylor guy for years and years. He was as committed as any recruit could be....the guy truly wanted to play for Baylor and bled green and gold.

I think loyalty should count for something. I'm excited about Stidham, but given the choice between two talented QBs....I'm going with the guy that has always been with us. But that's just me. I'm not TGCAB.

Administrator
    vCash

By the way, Chad President decommitted. If you guys need a QB then you may want to go hunting. I can't blame the guy, and I actually have mixed feelings about it. President was a 100% Baylor guy for years and years. He was as committed as any recruit could be....the guy truly wanted to play for Baylor and bled green and gold.

I think loyalty should count for something. I'm excited about Stidham, but given the choice between two talented QBs....I'm going with the guy that has always been with us. But that's just me. I'm not TGCAB.
    Yeah, that was a little surprising.

I wouldn't mind getting President, but it appears we'll take no QBs in this class. There is still an outside chance that Murray decommits from A&M and we get him, but that's a long, long shot.