Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Two new recruits (DeBerry/Haughton): Who else was interested?

Today's pick-up of Ricky DeBerry Jr. and Kahlil Haughton was huge for OU. Both are excellent players, but it's really great that both are defensive players. DeBerry will join the team in a much needed position at linebacker, and Haughton (considered one of the best safeties in Texas) will join another stud (Sunderland) in a secondary that needs playmakers. I know a lot of folks get caught up in the ratings, and these two guys should satisfy those folks (DeBerry is a 5 star recruit, and Haughton a 4 star). What is also impressive is who OU beat for these two young men:

Player Offers (not including OU)
    Kahlil Haughton Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Duke, Indiana, Kansas State, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Washington State
    Ricky DeBerry Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Boston College, Cincinnati, Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Florida, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Marshall, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina State, North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Purdue, San Diego State, South Carolina, South Florida, Syracuse, TCU, Temple, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

We definitely picked up two very good players.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Two new recruits (DeBerry/Haughton): Who else was interested?

We Suck....They will not have an impact......!!!!....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    We Suck....They will not have an impact......!!!!....
    I know...no North Texas or UTSA in there. We've really fallen off.

vCash

Heh....!!!
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Please let them develop!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

you know who's had a bad day today?

Texas A&M has had two C-minus seasons in a row. They might have had Johnny Heisman and Cotton Bowl win momentum a few years ago, but it's fading... or maybe the boosters gave their money to the university instead of directly to the players mistakenly

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

So the way I read this is that we had to steal Haughton away from SMU and DeBerry away from Marshall. Big whoops.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

That's it precisely.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Naturally I'm pleased. I just assumed that we would stick with our preferred LB recruiting method and find some under appreciated DB and try to put about 40 lbs on him.

vCash

Despite some gripes on the recruiting front, all-in-all we still get lots of very good players.

I'd argue that getting them is not the problem, it's what we do with them that is the problem.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Despite some gripes on the recruiting front, all-in-all we still get lots of very good players.

I'd argue that getting them is not the problem, it's what we do with them that is the problem.

I don't know, it's been quite some time since we have landed some talent on the d-line and lb position. This year helps alleviate this problem...

Who cares? I don't care about the delivery, show me the baby.

And even if I could care, who really is confident now that the coaching staff will develop these players?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AzianSooner's Avatar
    vCash

My eyes might foul me but I don't see Texas in the offer lists of both players. I think if Texas offer, OU would have tough time to compete.

The proof is today texass' commitments list today.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AzianSooner View Post
    My eyes might foul me but I don't see Texas in the offer lists of both players. I think if Texas offer, OU would have tough time to compete.

Ou has a better overall list...

Texas would give a scholly to DeBerry in a New York minute. His dad was an OU fan and Texas had no chance from the get go.

Texas has always, and will always, beat OU for "most" of their instate kids. OU has won despite that.

Administrator
    vCash

Texas didn't offer DeBerry because they knew they had no shot.

I don't gauge OU's recruiting by what Texas does. They've been ahead of OU for years, and it doesn't seem to matter much. Texas also showed a lot of interest in Haughton, and when he originally announced he was staying in Waco, Texas backed off.

There's a ton of talent in the state of Texas, and Texas isn't going to offer every kid in the state (regardless of what the recruiting services rate them). Baylor is more impressive right now, than Texas, when it comes to offers.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Texas didn't offer DeBerry because they knew they had no shot.

I don't gauge OU's recruiting by what Texas does. They've been ahead of OU for years, and it doesn't seem to matter much. Texas also showed a lot of interest in Haughton, and when he originally announced he was staying in Waco, Texas backed off.

There's a ton of talent in the state of Texas, and Texas isn't going to offer every kid in the state (regardless of what the recruiting services rate them). Baylor is more impressive right now, than Texas, when it comes to offers.
    ^^^yes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Today's pick-up of Ricky DeBerry Jr. and Kahlil Haughton was huge for OU. Both are excellent players, but it's really great that both are defensive players. DeBerry will join the team in a much needed position at linebacker, and Haughton (considered one of the best safeties in Texas) will join another stud (Sunderland) in a secondary that needs playmakers. I know a lot of folks get caught up in the ratings, and these two guys should satisfy those folks (DeBerry is a 5 star recruit, and Haughton a 4 star). What is also impressive is who OU beat for these two young men:
    Player Offers (not including OU)
    Kahlil Haughton Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Duke, Indiana, Kansas State, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Washington State
    Ricky DeBerry Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Boston College, Cincinnati, Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Florida, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Marshall, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina State, North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Purdue, San Diego State, South Carolina, South Florida, Syracuse, TCU, Temple, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin
    We definitely picked up two very good players.
    How we signed these two guys after the pathetic display on the first drive to open the second half against baylor with our coaches yelling at the wilson on national tv is beyond me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    How we signed these two guys after the pathetic display on the first drive to open the second half against baylor with our coaches yelling at the wilson on national tv is beyond me.
    Could it be that these recruits don't teeter on the edge between despair and ecstasy on every drive of the game like fans do?

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Could it be that these recruits don't teeter on the edge between despair and ecstasy on every drive of the game like fans do?
    I'm surprised too...however, I think our linebackers getting abused on every play in the middle, left, and right was a factor. We have no speed, power, or instinct at that position putting more pressure on the DBS to cover everywhere...