Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Nearly two weeks later...

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Agree it was a gamble that failed. Also agree that there is nothing that can be done to change it. The question is whether is was a reckless gamble, one in which the risks far outweighed the benefits.
    But did the risk really outweigh the reward? I know we lost the game, but other than some irritating Poke fans, did it really change anything about this year? Even if we would have won that game, it wouldn't have changed the fact that this was a disappointing season.

If that game were for a conference title, or for a spot in the national title, then I'd probably question the decision a lot more. Given the circumstances, it was just a mistake.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    But did the risk really outweigh the reward? I know we lost the game, but other than some irritating Poke fans, did it really change anything about this year? Even if we would have won that game, it wouldn't have changed the fact that this was a disappointing season.

If that game were for a conference title, or for a spot in the national title, then I'd probably question the decision a lot more. Given the circumstances, it was just a mistake.
    But 8TC Houston boys says
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

It is what it is.... If we don't re kick (or if we do successfully), and end up winning the game.... All that changes on the year is the fact that we beat the pokes... It is still a sub par season, that was at times very mis-managed by our coaching staff, and at other times under executed by the young men that chose to be Sooners... So, at this stage of the season, the only thing we as fans can do is hope we can pull off a win against a DC, that most on here wanted gone..... And then hope our coaching staff can twist that victory into something enticing for a few promising recruits to get us back to a level that we find acceptable..... JMHO

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Which is why it was a fitting ending to the season - and I'm not even joking. I did laugh when it happened.
    I Did too..When he broke the first wall, I honest to God started laughing.
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

I'm a Cubs fan. I went to St. Louis several years back to watch them play the Cardinals. They day before the game I attended, Albert Pujols hit a homer in extra innings to win the game. I couldn't believe it the next day when the game was in extra innings, and Pujols was up to bat again with the game tied. Any guesses what happened?

Any time you kick to a guy like Hill and he doesn't score on you, you should feel pretty good about yourself. I will never understand why they elected to do it two plays in a row.
    La ola es mía.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

As long as we're just talking, That Johnny Rogers thing is still eating at me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    As long as we're just talking, That Johnny Rogers thing is still eating at me.
    What about that Call in the Saxet game that cost us a win and we had to settle for Tie?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The Oregon "fumble" still bugs me, and the Stansberry interception in the end zone against Texas! Still drive me crazy! That is football, and why we love it. Even the BAD stuff. Football takes us away from the daily hum-drum, and watching fabulous athletes do amazing things!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    You know, in hindsight it wasn't a bad decision. All Barnett has to do is kick it anywhere but to the guy. I mean, Kansas had OSewe on the ropes and then kicked off to the same guy.

If Barnett had just kicked it elsewhere. I mean, the one thing that absolutely could not go wrong on that play, and that's what it was. Seems almost like fate, I guess.

The safe decision would have been to not re-kick, but...it could also have been a smart move.
    I'm over it...season was not a "great one"...prob not even a good one by OU standards...but disagree.

ball was on the 15, no TO, 1 minute...even our horrible secondary had a better chance to close the deal than a re-kick

This is why-
    #1 could have punted into the end zone putting ball on 20 - osu gained 5 yards
    #2 could have punted out of bounds further up field - again yardage gained...*
    #3 could have had punt blocked*
    #4 could have had punt mishandled (bad hike, bad reception by kicker)*

* because the pressure of needing to kick it ANYWHERE besides the returner.

Again, yes, even Stoops admitted (to a degree, but still blamed the kicker for kicking it to the wrong side) it was a bad decision. Great, but he gets paid $5.5 million, 2nd highest in college football to make those real time game decisions. To all of us "internet coaches"...who get paid jack...KNEW it was bad AT THE TIME....sometimes ya got to take what ya have. That was not the time to risk ANYTHING. He gets paid a lot of money to know that.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    I'm over it...season was not a "great one"...prob not even a good one by OU standards...but disagree.

ball was on the 15, no TO, 1 minute...even our horrible secondary had a better chance to close the deal than a re-kick

This is why-

* because the pressure of needing to kick it ANYWHERE besides the returner.

Again, yes, even Stoops admitted (to a degree, but still blamed the kicker for kicking it to the wrong side) it was a bad decision. Great, but he gets paid $5.5 million, 2nd highest in college football to make those real time game decisions. To all of us "internet coaches"...who get paid jack...KNEW it was bad AT THE TIME....sometimes ya got to take what ya have. That was not the time to risk ANYTHING. He gets paid a lot of money to know that.

Bingo. You'd think $5.25 million/year would buy that basic level of awareness. Don't care that he admits his mistake. He gets paid too much to make that kind of mistake.

The decision was as stupid as the one to have Demarco returning the opening kick against Missouri in the 2008 Big XII Championship Game.

vCash

oops....5.5 / 5.25 what's 250K lol....but yes. agree.

Yes the game really didn't "matter" as far as any championship...league or not (as 8time mentioned). BUT to lose AT HOME to a 21 pt dog is inexcusable, if it's because of a coaching decision. Don't give me the one play doesn't win or lose games...it was responsible for 9/10's of the loss.

Yes, there are moral victories and moral losses.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

oops....5.5 / 5.25 what's 250K lol....but yes. agree.

Yes the game really didn't "matter" as far as any championship...league or not (as 8time mentioned). BUT to lose AT HOME to a 21 pt dog is inexcusable, if it's because of a coaching decision. Don't give me the one play doesn't win or lose games...it was responsible for 9/10's of the loss.

Yes, there are moral victories and moral losses.
    The loss mattered because it continues to degrade the OU brand, which has CLEARLY been in decline for 6 years now.

Stoops and his staff are not holding up their end of the deal. Boren and Castiglione should give him next season to right the ship, and boot him if he doesn't.

vCash

The loss mattered because it continues to degrade the OU brand, which has CLEARLY been in decline for 6 years now.

Stoops and his staff are not holding up their end of the deal. Boren and Castiglione should give him next season to right the ship, and boot him if he doesn't.
    yup

Administrator
    vCash

We both agree that the call was a bad one.

Where we disagree is the state of the OU brand. We are less than a year removed from the biggest win that wasn't a national title game. I think a lot of fans only view national title game seasons as "success". By that standard, the program has rarely been successful. This season was a disappointing one, no argument from me. I do NOT think the program is in trouble, or think that Stoops has "lost it". I think we (the fans, and probably the coaches) overlooked some major weak spots going into this season, and expected a title run. We got almost the opposite.

Bob has earned the right to make a bad call here or there. He's also earned a very long leash. If he repeats this year's performance next year, then the heat will most definitely be turned up. Going 8-4 isn't great at OU, but it's not grounds for getting rid of the guy either.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

And other folk should stay out of this post and get back to writing the keynote speech for the annual NAMBLA convention.
    Good Gawd That's the funniest response I've read in a while !!!

vCash

Where we disagree is the state of the OU brand. We are less than a year removed from the biggest win that wasn't a national title game. I think a lot of fans only view national title game seasons as "success". By that standard, the program has rarely been successful. This season was a disappointing one, no argument from me. I do NOT think the program is in trouble, or think that Stoops has "lost it". I think we (the fans, and probably the coaches) overlooked some major weak spots going into this season, and expected a title run. We got almost the opposite.

Bob has earned the right to make a bad call here or there. He's also earned a very long leash. If he repeats this year's performance next year, then the heat will most definitely be turned up. Going 8-4 isn't great at OU, but it's not grounds for getting rid of the guy either.
    Lets see here, Da King
    1981 went 7-4 an1
    82 went 8-4
    83 went 8-4
    seems a Lot of folk wanted HIM ran off also.
    Idiots.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Lets see here, Da King
    1981 went 7-4 an1
    82 went 8-4
    83 went 8-4
    Idiots.
    Yup. A lot of folks are quick to think the sky is falling too.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

This is why-
    #1 above is actually a very good trade-off. 8-10 seconds was far more important than 5 yards given the time left - but it carried all the risks to make it not worth it. But getting greedy and trying to get the time and the yards is what p.issed off the football gods and resulted in a harsh smiting.

I disagree about the impact on the OU brand. It's a tiny dent compared the impact of losing the 3 games to all the teams ahead of us in the conference standings. The major damage was already done. If that final insult overcomes some inertia of making some needed changes, it could well end up a net win in the long run. Note, I don't advocate the "scorched earth" view of hoping for losses to get change, but now it's happened, I will admit there may be some truth in it.

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Lets see here, Da King
    1981 went 7-4 an1
    82 went 8-4
    83 went 8-4
    Idiots.
    Oh, you must have finished your NAMBLA speech. I am judging what kick-it-again Bob has done over the last 6 years...not a mere three year period. And over the past 6 years, he has not had OU in serious contention for a National Title. 6 years is not a small sample size.

Sorry. That Bama win has no further cachet. Any momentum from that was lost on Baylor's first drive of the second half.

As for Bob's long leash. What, you don't consider 6 years a long leash? That's how long it's been since OU has seriously contended for a National Title.

Sadly, I think you still will be holding out hope in 2018 when OU has still not contended for a title.