Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Nearly two weeks later...

…the decision to re-kick to Hill is just as infuriating. I thought the perspective might change with time. But it still seems like gross negligence.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Nearly two weeks later...

It was a bad decision. Time to move on...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

You know, in hindsight it wasn't a bad decision. All Barnett has to do is kick it anywhere but to the guy. I mean, Kansas had OSewe on the ropes and then kicked off to the same guy.

If Barnett had just kicked it elsewhere. I mean, the one thing that absolutely could not go wrong on that play, and that's what it was. Seems almost like fate, I guess.

The safe decision would have been to not re-kick, but...it could also have been a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    You know, in hindsight it wasn't a bad decision. All Barnett has to do is kick it anywhere but to the guy. I mean, Kansas had OSewe on the ropes and then kicked off to the same guy.

If Barnett had just kicked it elsewhere. I mean, the one thing that absolutely could not go wrong on that play, and that's what it was. Seems almost like fate, I guess.

The safe decision would have been to not re-kick, but...it could also have been a smart move.
    No way! Makes no sense on any basic risk/reward analysis. If you don't rekick, there is absolutely ZERO risk of a return AND you have OSU facing the unenviable task of going 85 yards in one minute with no timeouts. WHY MESS WITH THAT HAND? Makes as much sense as going for four of a kind when dealt three aces and two kings .

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    It was a bad decision. Time to move on...
    Yes, but doesn't it make you wonder about Stoops? It seems like such poor judgment on the fundamentals from someone you'd expect to have mastered that in order to be the head coach at a heritage program.

Sooner Benchwarmer Harris County Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

It was an absolutely stupid move to re-do the kick. The pokes having the ball 85 yards away with a minute left was one of the better possible outcomes on the play. There were too many things that could go wrong with a re-kick: bad snap, fumbled snap, shank kick, block, long return (well that is what happened).
    "To this day, Schnellenberger is not held in high esteem by Sooner fans, in part because he made no secret of his lack of interest in the program's history."

Quote Originally Posted by Harris County Sooner View Post
    It was an absolutely stupid move to re-do the kick. The pokes having the ball 85 yards away with a minute left was one of the better possible outcomes on the play. There were too many things that could go wrong with a re-kick: bad snap, fumbled snap, shank kick, block, long return (well that is what happened).
    Agree. And it doesn't seem like it was garden-variety stupid, but mind-blowingly stupid. It makes me wonder if he's still got the chops to be head coach at a traditional power.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    …the decision to re-kick to Hill is just as infuriating. I thought the perspective might change with time. But it still seems like gross negligence.
    It was the perfect ending to this season. Just re-watch it while playing (or imagining) the soundtrack from a Three Stooges movie and you'll get a good laugh. It worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    It was the perfect ending to this season. Just re-watch it while playing (or imagining) the soundtrack from a Three Stooges movie and you'll get a good laugh. It worked for me.
    It certainly appeared like the Three Stooges were in charge of clock management all season.

vCash

It certainly appeared like the Three Stooges were in charge of clock management all season.
    Which is why it was a fitting ending to the season - and I'm not even joking. I did laugh when it happened.

vCash

http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

...but I thought people wanted Stoops to be more aggressive? Not kicking would be the conservative thing to do.

It was a gamble that failed. It's done and over with and nothing is going to change that.

Sooner Benchwarmer Sooner Schemer's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I hear Benny Hill music, but I'm not laughing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    ...but I thought people wanted Stoops to be more aggressive? Not kicking would be the conservative thing to do.

It was a gamble that failed. It's done and over with and nothing is going to change that.
    Some folk just wanta keep bitchin and complaining
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post

Agree it was a gamble that failed. Also agree that there is nothing that can be done to change it. The question is whether is was a reckless gamble, one in which the risks far outweighed the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Some folk just wanta keep bitchin and complaining
    And other folk should stay out of this post and get back to writing the keynote speech for the annual NAMBLA convention.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Schemer View Post
    I hear Benny Hill music, but I'm not laughing.
    Not everybody gets British humor.

vCash

Administrator
    vCash

Yes, but doesn't it make you wonder about Stoops? It seems like such poor judgment on the fundamentals from someone you'd expect to have mastered that in order to be the head coach at a heritage program.
    No, not really. It was a poor decision, and he admitted it (again in his press conference this week).

vCash

And other folk should stay out of this post and get back to writing the keynote speech for the annual NAMBLA convention.
    You're not the boss of ME!