Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Nearly two weeks later...

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    There are a ton of coaches out there that could be the next great one. There are far more that aren't that guy. There's a long list of programs that lost a coach (whether he was fired or retired) and either hasn't been able to regain those standards or it's taken multiple hires to get to that point. Look at Tennessee, they're a great example. Even Texas thinks they have the right guy, but I'm not convinced and I think Texas will be mediocre for a while. The point is that great coaches are few and far between.

I realize Stoops isn't going to be the head coach forever. And at some point, a new guy will take over. I just think it's a shot in the dark to get a coach that can do what Stoops has done.

The truth is no school/program measures success solely on the number and frequency of title game appearances. It's simply unrealistic to hold someone to that standard. However, conference titles/winning/running a clean program are things that need to be accounted for, and Stoops has been pretty damn good in all three categories.

This all boils down to a terribly disappointing season. Some are quick to want a leadership change, and some are more patient. I am of the opinion that this season is pretty easily accounted for, and looking back, it's not hard to understand why things went they way they did. That said, I fully expect a better year next year. If things continue to stay on the same course, then it may be time to start looking around. But, one 8 win season every 5 years doesn't make Stoops a "bad" coach, nor is it an indication that the program has gone off the rails.

Stoops has earned my trust, and I trust that he will fix what needs to be fixed.

I don't care what Stoops makes. It doesn't affect me one way, or another. So, that point doesn't resonate with me.
    Auburn won the national title in 2010 and then last year went to the national title game with a new head coach....Oregon has been a contender for several years under Chip Kelly and they have a new head coach and they are in the playoffs. You can make examples of both situations programs who tank for a few years and struggle to return to a contender and then others who just keep going as usual. Every situation is different.

I'm not saying Bob needs to go (this year) but I am saying he needs to do some house cleaning especially on the defensive side of the ball before next season. He should start by telling his brother to pack his bags and hit the road. He won't though.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    You need to find another school. You're clearly not happy with this one. Or at least find something truly important to worry about. It's college football, dude; it's not exactly life or death. It's a GAME...or it's supposed to be. Hell, you don't even live in Oklahoma. What are you kvetching at?
    I don't live in Oklahoma either, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything since I am an OU alumna, Sooner born and Sooner bred.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't mind losing fair and square to a more talented team. But I've seen too many games in the last few seasons that in my opinion we should have won but instead pissed away due to mental mistakes, poor clock management, lack of discipline. And I put that squarely on the coaches' shoulders. Their job is to coach to minimize such players' mistakes, make them more disciplined, and at minimum know how to work clock.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

It was a very disappointing & frustrating season. The inexplicable re-punt put the exclamation mark on it...and frankly, I have no idea what Mike Stoops defensive plan was but whatever it was, it did not work.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

I don't think Mike is going anywhere. Frankly, he has been an improvement over Brent, but that isn't saying much. Bob needs to focus on player development flaws by dumping some assistants and needs to show Josh the door, or at the very least get him out of the booth.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    Auburn won the national title in 2010 and then last year went to the national title game with a new head coach....Oregon has been a contender for several years under Chip Kelly and they have a new head coach and they are in the playoffs. You can make examples of both situations programs who tank for a few years and struggle to return to a contender and then others who just keep going as usual. Every situation is different.

I'm not saying Bob needs to go (this year) but I am saying he needs to do some house cleaning especially on the defensive side of the ball before next season. He should start by telling his brother to pack his bags and hit the road. He won't though.
    You make a good point, but the flip side is that programs that are successful and lose a good coach, then drop off, far outnumber the ones that continue to succeed at the same level under a new guy.

Tennessee
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Washington
    USC
    Nebraska
    Florida

Those are just off the top of my head, but there are more. Those are also just the big name programs.

I'm not saying it's impossible to replace Bob, I'm just saying it's not an easy proposition. And I am not against some staff changed this off season, however, I'm not convinced that's what it's going to take to get back to where we want to be.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Speak of the inbred idiot (or as he would say, "idyit") and he shall appear!

You going to hang out with the grown ups for a little bit? Not too long though. Be your bed time soon. You'll need to brush your tooth, put on your onesie, then go night night.
    Stop it man, you're killing me !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    I don't live in Oklahoma either, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything since I am an OU alumna, Sooner born and Sooner bred.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't mind losing fair and square to a more talented team. But I've seen too many games in the last few seasons that in my opinion we should have won but instead pissed away due to mental mistakes, poor clock management, lack of discipline. And I put that squarely on the coaches' shoulders. Their job is to coach to minimize such players' mistakes, make them more disciplined, and at minimum know how to work clock.
    Nothing more need be said.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    You make a good point, but the flip side is that programs that are successful and lose a good coach, then drop off, far outnumber the ones that continue to succeed at the same level under a new guy.

Tennessee
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Washington
    USC
    Nebraska
    Florida

Those are just off the top of my head, but there are more. Those are also just the big name programs.

I'm not saying it's impossible to replace Bob, I'm just saying it's not an easy proposition. And I am not against some staff changed this off season, however, I'm not convinced that's what it's going to take to get back to where we want to be.
    All true...

USC has had the NCAA scholarship sanctions holding them back. Now that those are over with we can get a real look to see.
    Nebraska moved to the Big 10 and I think it hurts their recruiting in the south because the players in the south aren't seeing them on tv as much as they did when they were playing southern schools.
    Notre Dame was in the national title game 2 seasons ago with their current head coach.

The others yeah agree.

I don't think Bob will ever get rid of Mike, but he needs to get rid of Kish and Wright.

He should get rid of Mike too...really the only coach on defense I'd keep is Montgomery. Offensively Heupel needs to stick to being a qb coach and someone else needs to be offensive coordinator. I don't think Josh did a real bad job but he goes away from what's working a lot. This year we weren't a good passing team and he tried to force feed the pass a lot especially the first half of the season. If Knight doesn't go down with an injury he probably never adjusts and I guarantee Perine wouldn't be holding the single game rushing record.