Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Nearly two weeks later...

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Sorry, when you cash checks like Stoops does, you don't have the luxury of using "rebuilding" as an excuse. Heritage programs like Oklahoma are supposed to reload because of superior recruiting and talent development. If Stoops can't do that, then he's not earning his premium pay. It's really that simple. You willingly cash premium checks, then you best deliver the expected premium results.
    You can thump your chest and claim OU shouldn't have rebuilding years, but that doesn't make it true. OU has always had rebuilding years and it will happen again in the future. Writing big checks will not change that. And rebuilding years can be entertaining if you enjoy the details of the game and like to watch the players develop. '05 was an excellent rebuilding year if you were paying attention. If all you care about is the bottom line, then not so much.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    You can thump your chest and claim OU shouldn't have rebuilding years, but that doesn't make it true. OU has always had rebuilding years and it will happen again in the future. Writing big checks will not change that. And rebuilding years can be entertaining if you enjoy the details of the game and like to watch the players develop. '05 was an excellent rebuilding year if you were paying attention. If all you care about is the bottom line, then not so much.
    Now we can look forward to building years in the future of Stoops. To call em rebuilding years would mean we'd accomplished something the year before.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Writing big checks to the wrong guy certainly won't change that. How many "rebuilding" years has Bama had since Saban won his first title at that school?

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Now we can look forward to building years in the future of Stoops. To call em rebuilding years would mean we'd accomplished something the year before.
    Exactly. What Stoops has done the past 6 years gets a B grade on the report card. Maybe there's an argument to be made for B+. But who can credibly say that the results over the past 6 years gets any type of A grade? Ok…now, who can credibly say that Stoops has received other than A compensation over the past 6 years?

Administrator
    vCash

2009 says hello.
    Stoops has had three 8 win teams in 15 years. I'd say that those are the exception.

Administrator
    vCash

If he does, I can't wait to hear what the Stoops apologists have to say.
    That's my favorite.

So, fans that support the team, and it's coach, are "Stoops apologists". I guess, in the minds of the elite few, that see things clearly (and think the program is headed to hell in a handbasket) are what, the "enlightened"?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    It's rare to have a complete rebuilding year because that means most your starters are either seniors or declare early for the NFL. '05 is the only year I would call a complete rebuilding year in the Stoops era. '09 was weird because there was so much rebuilding on offense (once Bradford and Gresham were lost), but so much experience on defense. Usually graduation losses are more spread out and of course it happens to all teams.

But I agree with your snide remark about accomplishing something. I mentioned I thought we underacheived in all areas on the field, but I didn't mention player development. I was as much disappointed with the development of our new starters as any other area. Our new WRs and DBs didn't seem to make huge strides and TK continued to be inconsistent. I didn't think the team improved much week to week this year and that essentially means falling behind as the competition moves forward.

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Stoops has had three 8 win teams in 15 years. I'd say that those are the exception.
    What Stoops has done over 15 years is TOTALLY irrelevant to the issue at hand, which is his capability RIGHT NOW to have OU contend for a national title.

In what sport does ANYONE judge the current merits of coach or player based on the last 15 years? In that case, the Houston Texans should solve its quarterback problem with Brett Favre.

Administrator
    vCash

Exactly. What Stoops has done the past 6 years gets a B grade on the report card. Maybe there's an argument to be made for B+. But who can credibly say that the results over the past 6 years gets any type of A grade? Ok…now, who can credibly say that Stoops has received other than A compensation over the past 6 years?
    I know that you "enlightened" folks don't like to hear this argument, but let me ask you, who is it that's going to come in and accomplish the things Stoops accomplished, without any down years, and take less money?

Again, I know it's not an argument you guys like to hear, but it is a real question. How many elite coaches are going to come to a program that gets rid of it's head coach with the record that head coach had? They must also never have a down year, and must be willing to do it for less.

I'm just not seeing anyone that fits that bill.

vCash

Writing big checks to the wrong guy certainly won't change that. How many "rebuilding" years has Bama had since Saban won his first title at that school?
    I don't think it's possible to recruit players to Norman and the big12 like it is to top SEC schools. Switzer had rebuilding years too like '76 and the big 8 was a much stronger brand. I certainly do think we could get better results with the players we can pull in and I've said I thought the coaches did not do a great job this year. Very different than previous year with similar records.

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I know that you "enlightened" folks don't like to hear this argument, but let me ask you, who is it that's going to come in and accomplish the things Stoops accomplished, without any down years, and take less money?

Again, I know it's not an argument you guys like to hear, but it is a real question. How many elite coaches are going to come to a program that gets rid of it's head coach with the record that head coach had? They must also never have a down year, and must be willing to do it for less.

I'm just not seeing anyone that fits that bill.
    I am happy to address that. Let's start with this...the last 14 National Championships will have been won by a coach NOT named Stoops. So Bob is not the lone oasis in the college football desert.

There are more than 100 FBS programs. Lots of young assistant coaches and head coaches out there. Was getting Bob Stoops back in 1999 an incredible anomaly? The rare case of finding an up and comer? I think not.

Finding the next 1999 version of Stoops is not my job. And not your job, hence I'm sure you haven't spent hours or days researching the subject. So it makes sense that you haven't seen anyone "who fits the bill".

But it is Castiglione's job !!!! And that's where he earns his very large paycheck. If he doesn't get it right, then he needs to get fired too. This is a results oriented game. Nobody wants to hear about the delivery. Show me the baby.

And let's for a second actually look at the delivery (the details). The god-damn entire season the team struggled with getting plays off in time, managing time-outs. Really? $5.25 million per year and Stoops' team struggles with clock management fundamentals? Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about whether Stoops is worth the premium he's paid. How would you react if you went to a 5 star hotel and it took 1 hour for the bellhop to get your luggage up to your room?
    Last edited by Snrinhouston; 12/19/2014 at 07:59 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

You need to find another school. You're clearly not happy with this one. Or at least find something truly important to worry about. It's college football, dude; it's not exactly life or death. It's a GAME...or it's supposed to be. Hell, you don't even live in Oklahoma. What are you kvetching at?

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    You need to find another school. You're clearly not happy with this one. Or at least find something truly important to worry about. It's college football, dude; it's not exactly life or death. It's a GAME...or it's supposed to be. Hell, you don't even live in Oklahoma. What are you kvetching at?
    But for Olevetisms, that has got to be the dumbest, most irrelevant response I've heard.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

But for Olevetisms, that has got to be the dumbest, most irrelevant response I've heard.
    I aim to please. My point is, it's not your money (tax or otherwise) going to Stoops or the University. So why all the whining about what Stoops is paid? That's between him and his employer: the University of Oklahoma. Most of the revenue that comes in goes to students and their programs. Stoops' and the coaching staff's compensation is a very small percentage of total revenue.

It's your right to complain, sure, but whether it has any credibility or not...is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    I aim to please. My point is, it's not your money (tax or otherwise) going to Stoops or the University. So why all the whining about what Stoops is paid? That's between him and his employer: the University of Oklahoma. Most of the revenue that comes in goes to students and their programs. Stoops' and the coaching staff's compensation is a very small percentage of total revenue.

It's your right to complain, sure, but whether it has any credibility or not...is a different matter.
    And you do! Everything you've said so far has been comedic gold.

vCash

And you do! Everything you've said so far has been comedic gold.
    His is Gold yers is Same same shat!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    His is Gold yers is Same same shat!
    Speak of the inbred idiot (or as he would say, "idyit") and he shall appear!

You going to hang out with the grown ups for a little bit? Not too long though. Be your bed time soon. You'll need to brush your tooth, put on your onesie, then go night night.

vCash

Speak of the inbred idiot (or as he would say, "idyit") and he shall appear!

You going to hang out with the grown ups for a little bit? Not too long though. Be your bed time soon. You'll need to brush your tooth, put on your onesie, then go night night.
    You're just a very special person.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    You're just a very special person.
    That's it? That is the witty retort of the grizzled country sage? I expected better...

Wait, no...I didnt.

For everyone else in the audience, this is about the time Olevet runs to Turd Ferguson for help and The Turd gives me about 40 negspeks.
    Last edited by Snrinhouston; 12/19/2014 at 09:45 PM.

vCash

That's it? That is the witty retort of the grizzled country sage? I expected better...

Wait, no...I didnt.

For everyone else in the audience, this is about the time Olevet runs to Turd Ferguson for help and The Turd gives me about 40 negspeks.
    You live in yer own little world dont ya.