Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Good Luck Coach Monty -- New Tulsa HC

I haven't seen it mentioned on the board yet, but the University of Tulsa hired our OC, Coach Philip Montgomery, as their next head coach. Coach Monty is a tremendous coach who has been with Briles since their days coaching at Stephenville HS. He has followed Briles every step of the way, and now the opportunity has arrived that he can take over the reigns of his own team. We hate to see him go, but I'm pretty excited to see what he'll be able to do at Tulsa.

One thing I learned today from his wife's blog is that he got a call the day after the TU job opened up asking if he was interested. The problem was, it was just before the K-State game. He was so committed to the program that he told them he was flattered but the timing wasn't right because he really needed to focus on winning the K-State game. He assumed he had lost the job and TU would look elsewhere, but TU was impressed by his dedication. They called back the day after the K-State win, and Monty accepted.

In any case, good luck Coach!
    Last edited by SicEmBaylor; 12/15/2014 at 11:17 AM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Good Luck Coach Monty -- New Tulsa HC

Don't know the man's ambitions, but Tulsa is either a nice destination or a good stepping stone.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Don't know the man's ambitions, but Tulsa is either a nice destination or a good stepping stone.
    I believe he's always wanted to go to the next level, but he's an exceedingly cautious and loyal man. He's had other coaching offers over the years, but he never felt the time/opportunity was right. So he won't make a move unless he's damned sure it's just the right destination at just the right time with just the right opportunity, and it has to be with the support of his family.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

When has Tulsa ever been a coaching destination? That's not sarcasm, I'm just completely unfamiliar with their program.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    When has Tulsa ever been a coaching destination? That's not sarcasm, I'm just completely unfamiliar with their program.
    I'm confused as to the relevance of this question. He didn't take the job because it's a destination job. He's a young first-time head coach.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I was mostly responding to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Not everything is about you, Sic'em!
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Administrator
    vCash

I think Tulsa would be a great first head coaching gig, especially what he's taking over. There's nowhere to go but up, and the pressure isn't high to win and win immediately. I don't know if Mongomery is from the region, but it sounds like he is, so that's another benefit...he'll be staying relatively close.

It'll be interesting to see how he does.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

It was a destination job for Blankenship....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I think Tulsa would be a great first head coaching gig, especially what he's taking over. There's nowhere to go but up, and the pressure isn't high to win and win immediately. I don't know if Mongomery is from the region, but it sounds like he is, so that's another benefit...he'll be staying relatively close.

It'll be interesting to see how he does.
    He's from Eastland which is about halfway between Abilene and Ft. Worth.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 WA. Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

What is the difference between Tulsa and Baylor(before Briles)?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I'm confused as to the relevance of this question. He didn't take the job because it's a destination job. He's a young first-time head coach.
    Im confused as to the relevance of this THREAD. It wasnt mentioned here because most of us dont GAS what any baylor sub coaches do.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Im confused as to the relevance of this THREAD. It wasnt mentioned here because most of us dont GAS what any baylor sub coaches do.
    Uh, because it's the University of Tulsa?
    Just like in this thread:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?179540

...and this one:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?146866

...and this one:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?117634

...and this one:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?86265

...and this one:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?81246

...and this one:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?183169

...and this one:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?182898

...and this one:
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?181425

Should I continue to go on or do you want to continue to be obstinate?

vCash

Oh MY bad, You dint post this because its about a baylor sub coach, you posted this because its about the Mighty Tulsa team.
    I see. besides, I fail to see the relevance of Those threads also.
    Yer a funny little man.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I don't think obstinate is the right word. Since we play both Tulsa and Baylor and I grew up and live in the Tulsa area, I have an interest in their programs. I too hope that the new coach does well.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

if only we had a thread dedicated to coaching hires and fires for us all to discuss coaching changes at other programs

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oudanny View Post
    I don't think obstinate is the right word. Since we play both Tulsa and Baylor and I grew up and live in the Tulsa area, I have an interest in their programs. I too hope that the new coach does well.
    Heh, i went and caught 2

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    if only we had a thread dedicated to coaching hires and fires for us all to discuss coaching changes at other programs
    Kinda my point but I do so enjoy hookin a few every now and then.

Administrator

vCash

Great. Now the Tulsa linebackers will follow our QB's all over the creation trying to hit them on the neck.
    We are here to pistol whip, shoe whip, imprison and torture. We are Phil, Beano, Norm, Dean, David Earl a.k.a. Deacon plus a bunch of ruthless mods. GADOCADWI

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

He will be our next Head Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Oh MY bad, You dint post this because its about a baylor sub coach, you posted this because its about the Mighty Tulsa team.
    I see. besides, I fail to see the relevance of Those threads also.
    Yer a funny little man.
    Yeah, it is because it's Tulsa. Have I ever posted threads about internal Baylor coaching changes before? No? Okay, then. I don't know WTF is wrong with you sometimes. There's no point in being an *** for the sake of being an ***. I do post things about Baylor, but it almost always relates to OU or Oklahoma in some way. Are there a finite number of threads that can be posted? Am I taking too many slices of the pie here? Come on. Get off it.

vCash

Yeah, it is because it's Tulsa. Have I ever posted threads about internal Baylor coaching changes before? No? Okay, then. I don't know WTF is wrong with you sometimes. There's no point in being an *** for the sake of being an ***. I do post things about Baylor, but it almost always relates to OU or Oklahoma in some way. Are there a finite number of threads that can be posted? Am I taking too many slices of the pie here? Come on. Get off it.
    LMFAO. Yer so easy to get riled up. Love ya Bro.