Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: OSU's Tyreek Hill arrested on domestic abuse complaint

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Any NFL team is going to think long and hard before taking a chance with him giving to current environment. He may have cost himself even being drafted at all.
    Yep. Not that there's ever a good time for something like this, but this is really bad timing on his part. Given the current atmosphere in the NFL, nobody's going to touch him.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Classy people over there...
    He hasn't sold or been arrest for possession of marijuana yet, so Stoops won't be interested.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Unpack that one for us, TDTW.
    Pay particular attention to explaining the moral equivalence of different actions and to the moral judgments you impute to Stoops.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    From OU-OSU hero to arrested to booted from football and track team.

http://newsok.com/update-osu-running...rticle/5375311

He definitely is fast - from Hero to Zero in less than a week.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

I wish there was some way to punish the universities for recruiting garbage like this. Yea I know I'm being presumptuous, but I'm reasonably confident this punk has not been a choir boy prior to this incident. Would the game really suffer if everyone stopped recruiting in the neighborhoods where criminals are bred, and return the game to what it used to be like? Recruiting kids from terrible backgrounds and expecting them to suddenly be someone else and behave totally differently than they have all their life is kind of crazy - no?

Is every kid that grows up in the hood a bad soul not worth being given an opportunity to rise above? Of course not - there are plenty of great kids who's HS coaches can attest to. The why don't we figure out a way to measure the quality of human being that the schools are recruiting, and punish those who's track record reveals they consistently recruit criminal type. If schools know they are being measure by off the field problems, then they'll think twice about who they offer that scholarship to. No, the schools cant control the behavior of any one individual .... but I can argue that if "X" percentage of your players have off the field incidents (and let's classify them by misdemeanor, felony, etc) it can be shown when there is a pattern to recruiting bad apples. When a school knew that their team could only incur so many incidents per year before they got punished, they would find a way to "manage" the issue at the recruiting level. And the HS Coach who gave character references would know that they couldn't consistently promote problem kids, or their word would eventually not be trusted, which would hurt good kids from their program.

I know, it sounds crazy. But I'm just getting sick and tired of seeing nothing but money matter any more.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Not real surprised that a lot of the posters over there are more inclined to condemn him not out of what happened but out of a desire to not "act like Sooners."
    The Pokes have officially declared a moral victory.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Since71ASooner4Life View Post
    I wish there was some way to punish the universities for recruiting garbage like this. Yea I know I'm being presumptuous, but I'm reasonably confident this punk has not been a choir boy prior to this incident. Would the game really suffer if everyone stopped recruiting in the neighborhoods where criminals are bred, and return the game to what it used to be like? Recruiting kids from terrible backgrounds and expecting them to suddenly be someone else and behave totally differently than they have all their life is kind of crazy - no?

Is every kid that grows up in the hood a bad soul not worth being given an opportunity to rise above? Of course not - there are plenty of great kids who's HS coaches can attest to. The why don't we figure out a way to measure the quality of human being that the schools are recruiting, and punish those who's track record reveals they consistently recruit criminal type. If schools know they are being measure by off the field problems, then they'll think twice about who they offer that scholarship to. No, the schools cant control the behavior of any one individual .... but I can argue that if "X" percentage of your players have off the field incidents (and let's classify them by misdemeanor, felony, etc) it can be shown when there is a pattern to recruiting bad apples. When a school knew that their team could only incur so many incidents per year before they got punished, they would find a way to "manage" the issue at the recruiting level. And the HS Coach who gave character references would know that they couldn't consistently promote problem kids, or their word would eventually not be trusted, which would hurt good kids from their program.

I know, it sounds crazy. But I'm just getting sick and tired of seeing nothing but money matter any more.
    It appears that the schools should hire private firms to look into the backgrounds
    of these kids, is that correct? The scale of offenses applied to each individual, convert
    that scale to a mathematical formula, give that formula to the coaching staff and allow
    the coaches to measure the formula against the predetermined offer/don't offer charts
    up on the office wall. I just wonder how many of the "don't offers" would disappear
    into the morass of "no chance in life" because they didn't get the mentoring/positive
    influences/second or third chance that college educations often present.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    I just wonder how many of the "don't offers" would disappear
    into the morass of "no chance in life" because they didn't get the mentoring/positive
    influences/second or third chance that college educations often present.

Its not an easy answer for sure. Not to dismiss your point, but my sense is that graduation rate statistics tell us something about how many are taking advantage of the opportunities they are being given. And not that every kid who doesn't graduate is a bad kid either. I just wonder what would be the entertainment value if rosters were loaded with kids who had all shown outstanding character AND an orientation toward education. I bet some pretty good football would still be played. Imagine that - "student athletes" that actually resembled students.

vCash

However, one of the arguments supporting the existence of big time college sports is that it provides opportunity to for kids from less advantaged communities. (I know nothing about Tyreek Hill, just general observation). Filtering out kids with troubled pasts would no doubt be highly related to family income level and be yet another way to divide society into castes.

But that's just a philosophical argument. The reality is that many talented athletes come from tough neighborhoods and the pressure to win above all will get these guys on the field.

vCash

yeah, but getting caught with weed is one thing, pushing a girl down some stairs or choking your soon-to-be baby momma is another

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Come on, man. You never know how a kid is going to turn out. You can't just decide to punish a university because of some arbitrary assessment that they are recruiting dirtbags. And how would you differentiate between a situation like Mixon's and something like Hill's? Besides, these things tend to take care of themselves and come out on their own. See the downfall of our own program in the late 80s, Miami's in the mid 90s, and FSU's not long after. There are also things like the Fulmer Cup that keep programs on their toes by offering them up for worldwide online embarrassment. But one kid beating up his girlfriend and being a dick does not reflect on a program as a whole any more than having a crazy uncle in jail somehow means your entire family is horrible.

vCash

i'm just saying "2nd chances" are one thing, but maybe if someone thought they might be jeopardizing their future by getting violent, then maybe they might think twice?

the 80's and 90's didn't have facebook and twitter

i won't excuse Mixon, because i think he was stupid, but i would say beating up your pregnant girlfriend is a bit different than throwing one punch at some chick in your face that you don't know

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    i'm just saying "2nd chances" are one thing, but maybe if someone thought they might be jeopardizing their future by getting violent, then maybe they might think twice?

the 80's and 90's didn't have facebook and twitter

i won't excuse Mixon, because i think he was stupid, but i would say beating up your pregnant girlfriend is a bit different than throwing one punch at some chick in your face that you don't know
    You think OSU knew what Hill would end up doing? Unless he's been charge with domestic violence before, I don't see how they could.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Piware View Post
    The Pokes have officially declared a moral victory.
    Which is a nice matching bookend to their actual victory. We've lost the high ground to mock them for moral victories.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I've never been one that has embraced the scholarly choirboy concept for football players. If you want to play winning football you need to put the best talent on the field. You will have to occasionally hold your nose if you want to win it all. That being said.........There is a behavioral line you just can't cross. Everybody sets that line at a different point but for me this easily crossed that line for me. Short of some type of proof she was coming at him with a machete or the like he needs to go to jail not just booted off the team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I've never been one that has embraced the scholarly choirboy concept for football players. If you want to play winning football you need to put the best talent on the field. You will have to occasionally hold your nose if you want to win it all. That being said.........There is a behavioral line you just can't cross. Everybody sets that line at a different point but for me this easily crossed that line for me. Short of some type of proof she was coming at him with a machete or the like he needs to go to jail not just booted off the team.
    I have no idea what you mean here. OSU booted him instantly. What else should they do? They are not the law and just because he got booted, doesn't mean he won't get charged - that's up to the DA.

Administrator
    vCash

Let's be honest, a large portion of the good high school talent comes from areas that aren't exactly the nicest, most law abiding communities. When you recruit kids from those areas, you're going to get the occasional bad egg.

Statistically, far more 'good' kids play college football than 'bad' ones. I can only speak to what I know about OU (but I'm sure it's similar everywhere), and I know that the coaches/recruiting coordinators do a lot of external investigating on any player they offer. They'll contact teachers, counselors, family members, etc. in an effort to learn everything they can about a kid. That's great, but that doesn't always identify the kid that's going to screw up. Mixon is a perfect example. The kid was a choir boy throughout high school, and will probably (hopefully) never be an issue again. However, it just took the right combination of age/time/location/external factors for him to make a major mistake.

I can't speak to Hill's character, so I don't know if he had shown signs previously, but sometimes there is no warning. To OSU's credit, they quickly dismissed (and distanced themselves) from Devin Thomas (a onetime OU commit) after his arrest for armed robbery and attempted murder.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I have no idea what you mean here. OSU booted him instantly. What else should they do? They are not the law and just because he got booted, doesn't mean he won't get charged - that's up to the DA.
    ?.....Hill needed to be booted. He was. No dig against OSU at all. Now it is a legal matter. I wasn't keen on the Mixon (or Shannon) decision at least based on what has been revealed.

vCash

However, one of the arguments supporting the existence of big time college sports is that it provides opportunity to for kids from less advantaged communities. (I know nothing about Tyreek Hill, just general observation). Filtering out kids with troubled pasts would no doubt be highly related to family income level and be yet another way to divide society into castes.

But that's just a philosophical argument. The reality is that many talented athletes come from tough neighborhoods and the pressure to win above all will get these guys on the field.

College sports has existed for decades prior to the practice of recruiting kids from sketchy backgrounds began. Creating opportunities for them being an argument for the existence of college sports is news to me.

And just because there is some correlation between low income/behavior problems, I wouldn't call a system that rewards good behavior filtering out low income kids. If any kid filters themselves out with their behavior, that's on them, not the rules committee. Low income kids who would keep their noses clean would have the same opportunity as anyone else, and the facts would bear that out If someone wants to see that differently oh well.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    yeah, this is typical OP melting down, but I'm not gonna do a meltdown post or anything, because the news about him striking his pregnant girlfriend really touches a nerve with this mommy.

Before anyone has too much fun with this, I have two words for you: Miscarriage murder. If the girlfriend's baby dies due to this domestic violence incident, Tyreek Hill does not just face NFL millions lost, a college career lost or whatever legendary status Pokes were planning to place on him for beating OU: He faces life in jail on a murder charge due to miscarriage.
    not making it political...but curious as to why, if abortion is ok. I know the argument that she didn't CHOOSE that..her body..blah blah blah....but I would think a good lawyer could fight that...maybe not. Not that I agree at all with that...just sayin.

Hope they throw the book at him.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!