Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Re: OSU's Tyreek Hill arrested on domestic abuse complaint

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Come on, man. You never know how a kid is going to turn out. You can't just decide to punish a university because of some arbitrary assessment that they are recruiting dirtbags. And how would you differentiate between a situation like Mixon's and something like Hill's? Besides, these things tend to take care of themselves and come out on their own. See the downfall of our own program in the late 80s, Miami's in the mid 90s, and FSU's not long after. There are also things like the Fulmer Cup that keep programs on their toes by offering them up for worldwide online embarrassment. But one kid beating up his girlfriend and being a dick does not reflect on a program as a whole any more than having a crazy uncle in jail somehow means your entire family is horrible.
    Yes you never know how a kid will turn out, and you cant control anyone's behavior. Even a good kid every now and then flips out and does something bad. My point was to find a way to punish schools where there is a reocurring pattern, which would suggest they know they are recruiting bad apples, but they look the other way.

Every year we hear of crimes being committed, and the nature of the crime suggests that it probably wasn't the offender's first criminal act. I'm not talking about smoking weed, but rather violent crimes that tell you the offender has some disturbing character traits.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

As far as I can tell, our coaches don't take kids with a known history of violence. I don't follow recruiting that much, but the only kid I recall I thought we crossed the line to offer was that WR from Georgia. He seemed to be infatuated with guns and thug life, but had not done anything violent as far as I know. (He later choked his girlfriend at some other school where he landed). The DGB thing certainly got my attention, but I'm taking it on faith that since the coaches recruited him for 2 years, they know him and his family very well. I haven't heard anything bad from him so far, fingers crossed.

But our coaches do take kids from poor/rough neighborhoods that have grown up with limited adult supervision. These kids are not going to have the same view of right and wrong and they're likely to not be 4.0 students with a strong academic foundation. These kids are going to be a risk. It could be they are just discipline problems and end up being dismissed. But some of them will end up doing something violent. On the flip side, some will take to the discipline and grow up into fine citizens. And some of them will be our star players. A coach could just filter them out and reduce the risk, but fans would be screaming for the coaches head if those players end up at other schools and are whipping our a.sses.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    not making it political...but curious as to why, if abortion is ok
    The U.S. Supreme Court decided that abortion is legal, but has not made any across-state-lines decision regarding when life begins. Thus, states including Oklahoma can say that life begins at the moment of conception and charge a pregnancy miscarriage by force as murder, but omit abortion due to the SCOTUS decision. Nothing political about it, just a court decision that supersedes state law.

By bringing that up, I was trying to stave off anyone making light of the situation, not start a debate about the merits of state laws and such.

Good for OSU for dismissing Tyreek Hill... but I think it's fair to say that between this and all the losing this season that recruiting has and will continue to suffer this offseason:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...2f77fbd43.html

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Jeep,
    You have to think of the law as a process, not a conclusion. I know it bothers Constitutional fundamentalists, but the document really is plastic and adapts to changing circumstances over time. That's why we have a Constitutional (Supreme) Court. When you dig into Constitutional issues, you'll find that there are many seeming contradictions. Typically, this is due to the court 'mushing' along and not having come to a particular point as of yet. And that's as it should be: the court should not be too bold in attempting to change society.
    Personally, I think we'll ultimately come to a line of reasoning based on the special and unique relationship of mother and fetus; but that's just my suspicion. Until then, we have, as you pointed out, a contradiction in the law.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The U.S. Supreme Court decided that abortion is legal, but has not made any across-state-lines decision regarding when life begins. Thus, states including Oklahoma can say that life begins at the moment of conception and charge a pregnancy miscarriage by force as murder, but omit abortion due to the SCOTUS decision. Nothing political about it, just a court decision that supersedes state law.

By bringing that up, I was trying to stave off anyone making light of the situation, not start a debate about the merits of state laws and such.

Good for OSU for dismissing Tyreek Hill... but I think it's fair to say that between this and all the losing this season that recruiting has and will continue to suffer this offseason:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...2f77fbd43.html
    [off topic]The Roe v. Wade decision was nothing but a political decision. Of course we know that lawyers are super smart genuises and don't need to attend medical school to make a decision about the beginning of life. If I had known going to law school made one an instant expert in everything I could have saved myself about 5 years of training. Or, I could have just gotten a job as a government beaurocrat and saved 8 years of training.[/off topic]
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    an instant expert in everything
    No, you're thinking of an MBA

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Fanin, since the Constitution is the foundation of our political system, there is no way any supreme court decision can be said to be non- or a-political. And I think you'd find plenty of folks from the religious world, the realms of philosophy, bio-ethics, biology and many others who'd challenge the exclusive right of medical doctors to decide on this matter.
    That's why we have a Supreme Court.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown