Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Rookie
    vCash

"Air Raid" vs "Ground and Pound"

With the quarterback situation we have had this year, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy Samaje, Keith, and Alex bust the seam or punish hapless defenders with bone-crunching hits. That being said, I do miss the "Air Raid" type of offenses that we had under the Pirate and the Big Man. I loved watching the Sooners put up 50-60 points/game. It was fun, it was new, and it was exciting. Now we have the Meercat offense (I freaking hate that to be honest) and are forced to run the ball - even against 11-man stacked boxes.

I loved the wishbone of the King and it was exciting as well. Every play had a potential to go the distance. Whereas today's offense just seems to plug along.

I love Josh as a QB. I saw every one of his games in person. That being said, I don't like his offensive coaching style. It's too conservative, unimaginative, and just plain boring. I don't think that he develops our players to recognize their full potential. But what do I know? I'm just a fan that fears we're heading into the realm of complacency.

What do you like/not like about our offense and what is your favorite style (personnel not withstanding)?

Boomer!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: "Air Raid" vs "Ground and Pound"

If we could run the ball against teams like TCU, KSU, and Texas the way we did against KU, Tech, and WVU, I'd be all for it. We didn't, though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

After just now realizing why the meerkat is aptly named (dang those lil guys look panicked) I'm all for an offense that call a play before the clock reaches 15 secs. Our strengths are in the backfield and if flowers can add some lbs to his frame it should open up the passing game, theoretically but not likely. .

vCash

Looking at teams that have won the BCS title over the last decade, they can both run and pass. Looking more local at the big12 champions, the same is true. Auburn came close to winning it all last year with very heavy run bias, but it took several miracle games to get them there and even though they didn't pass much, they produced big plays when they did. Also, I would argue their running game was based on speed and deception, not ground and pound. Ground and pound is a good strategy for over whelming inferior teams which is certainly valuable to avoid upsets. But it won't be possible to over whelm top teams or even average teams with a top defense (i.e. this year's horns). It's a great weapon in a balanced offense and a great tool to finish out games if a lead is established, but not a strategy in itself. Top level QB play along with effective WRs will almost always be required to win championships. IMO, of course.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

We need the balance we had at 03-04, only without Chuck Long calling plays.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    We need the balance we had at 03-04, only without Chuck Long calling plays.
    And '08. Heisman QB + 2 x 1000 yards rushers. I don't expect to repeat those kind of numbers soon, but water that down a bit and throw in a good defense and we're back in the hunt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Looking at teams that have won the BCS title over the last decade, they can both run and pass.
    You certainly need to be able to do both. It's much like the offense or defense debate. You need both to win championships. Leach wasn't going to win championships without a defense, and Nebraska couldn't win with Suh if they couldn't get some production offensively. Leach wouldn't have needed an elite defense, and Nebraska wouldn't have needed an elite offense.

While Alabama has some ability to throw the ball with McCarron, I think it would be far-fetched to say they weren't heavily dependent on the run. If you have a great defense, a consistent running game is the way to go. If you have to win games offensively, it's easier through the air.

My feelings on this are similar to the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate. I don't really care. Just run one of them really well, and everything else will take care of itself.

vCash

And '08. Heisman QB + 2 x 1000 yards rushers. I don't expect to repeat those kind of numbers soon, but water that down a bit and throw in a good defense and we're back in the hunt.
    It's settled! Sam Bradford/Jason White + Demarco Murray/Adrian Peterson. Make sure we keep making that happen once very 5 years. We're slightly overdue.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You certainly need to be able to do both. It's much like the offense or defense debate. You need both to win championships. Leach wasn't going to win championships without a defense, and Nebraska couldn't win with Suh if they couldn't get some production offensively. Leach wouldn't have needed an elite defense, and Nebraska wouldn't have needed an elite offense.

While Alabama has some ability to throw the ball with McCarron, I think it would be far-fetched to say they weren't heavily dependent on the run. If you have a great defense, a consistent running game is the way to go. If you have to win games offensively, it's easier through the air.

My feelings on this are similar to the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate. I don't really care. Just run one of them really well, and everything else will take care of itself.
    Alabama has always been run+defense. But McCarron was more than game manager at the college level. They smoked LSU in the rematch because McCarron killed them with pin-point passing against their man coverage. LSU stacked the box and dared them to win with McCarron's arm and he obliged. And as far as receivers, Julius Jones and Amari Cooper? Okay, the ability to get all the 5 stars doesn't hurt.

vCash

I don't think they've had much beyond Julio Jones and Amari Cooper at WR, though.

vCash

I don't think they've had much beyond Julio Jones and Amari Cooper at WR, though.
    Geez, who has? (maybe GT, strangely enough). My point is that Bama is not in the hunt almost every year because they ground and pound. Their passing game and of course defense, is just as important. The level of competition in CFB has gotten high enough that a team must be pretty good at everything. They must be excellent at something, but competent across the board or they will get exploited for any glaring weakness.

vCash

Geez, who has? (maybe GT, strangely enough). My point is that Bama is not in the hunt almost every year because they ground and pound. Their passing game and of course defense, is just as important. The level of competition in CFB has gotten high enough that a team must be pretty good at everything. They must be excellent at something, but competent across the board or they will get exploited for any glaring weakness.
    I'd take our WRs over that same time span. Shepard and Cooper are on a similar level, and I'd take a combination of Broyles, Stills, Saunders, Brown, etc. over just Julio Jones at the college level. I don't think that they've had anybody else other than perhaps Norwood that would have made a significant impact here.

I think it's easier to consistently have a great ground game and a competent passing game than the other way around. With the passing attack, it's all based on the QB developing and being able to make the right decisions on gameday, and that's a lot riskier than hoping one of your RBs will be able to hit the hole. If Yeldon went down for Alabama, they would just plug another guy in and keep chugging. I don't think a team like Baylor can succeed without Petty, and as we saw, OU went from title contenders to unranked in a hurry without Bradford.
    Last edited by Eielson; 12/11/2014 at 04:28 PM.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I think "balance" is overrated.

I think what is important is having a team identity on offense and being able to do what you want when you need to do it.

This team has not had that in years.
    Bazinga

vCash

I'd take our WRs over that same time span. Shepard and Cooper are on a similar level, and I'd take a combination of Broyles, Stills, Saunders, Brown, etc. over just Julio Jones at the college level. I don't think that they've had anybody else other than perhaps Norwood that would have made a significant impact here.

I think it's easier to consistently have a great ground game and a competent passing game than the other way around. With the passing attack, it's all based on the QB developing and being able to make the right decisions on gameday, and that's a lot riskier than hoping one of your RBs will be able to hit the hole. If Yeldon went down for Alabama, they would just plug another guy in and keep chugging. I don't think a team like Baylor can succeed without Petty, and as we saw, OU went from title contenders to unranked in a hurry without Bradford.
    Staying on topic with you is near impossible, so I won't try. If you want a WR merit discussion, have at it or start another thread.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    I think "balance" is overrated.

I think what is important is having a team identity on offense and being able to do what you want when you need to do it.

This team has not had that in years.
    I wasn't so much advocating balance, so much as the ability to make them pay if they cheat too strongly. If the defense is loading up the line of scrimmage, you have to have a QB that can hit an open WR. Likewise, you need to be able to run the ball if the defense brings out 6 DBs.

vCash

Staying on topic with you is near impossible, so I won't try. If you want a WR merit discussion, have at it or start another thread.
    WR merit is entirely on topic in a discussion about "Air raid." Why you would think otherwise is befuddling.

You're the one that brought up National Championship teams being balanced. Alabama has almost monoplized National Championships in recent years, and they're far from balanced on offense.

vCash

WR merit is entirely on topic in a discussion about "Air raid." Why you would think otherwise is befuddling.

You're the one that brought up National Championship teams being balanced. Alabama has almost monoplized National Championships in recent years, and they're far from balanced on offense.
    I never said balanced, I said they can pass and run. I used the WR names to show their passing game is important or no one would know who those guys were until they got to the NFL. Bama used those guys in critical situations. GT may be tough to plan for and have up years like they did this year, but I doubt they will ever make the CFB being so one dimensional. Likewise, a Mike Leach coached team is never going to be elite either. Auburn got very close, but it took 2 miracle wins against UGA and Bama to get there. At highest levels, the other guy can take away or at least "contain" what you do best. But it will leave them open to other things and a team must be able to counter and win "left handed". That's exactly what we did in our now (in)famous win in the Sugar bowl. We had been a very heavy run team all year out of necessity and Bama clearly game planned for that. We crossed them up and came out passing and they couldn't make an in-game adjustment in time to counter. I don't think anyone would have believed we would win that game with <100 yards rushing, but we did.

My answer to "Air Raid" or "Ground and Pound" is neither if the definition is being one dimensional. I'm also assuming the goal is to be an elite team and not just a tough out or entertaining to watch.

vCash

I never said balanced, I said they can pass and run. I used the WR names to show their passing game is important or no one would know who those guys were until they got to the NFL. Bama used those guys in critical situations.
    Their championship in 2011 involved neither Julio Jones, nor Amari Cooper. In their 2010 championship, Julio Jones only had one catch for 23 yards, but he helped them get to that game, so I'll give you that much. I suspect they'll be in contention again next year without Cooper.

I agree with everything else, except for the part about McCarron being much more than an efficient game manager. Same for McElroy, who also won a championship.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

We have an abundance of young wr's that check in at 6'4+. Is it possible the coaches realized that we needed guys with range that could snag the lame ducks and inaccurate passes by the qbs they brought in? Looking at the roster we have enough guys on campus to think 1 or 2 of em will pan out in the next year or 2, right?

vCash

Their championship in 2011 involved neither Julio Jones, nor Amari Cooper. In their 2010 championship, Julio Jones only had one catch for 23 yards, but he helped them get to that game, so I'll give you that much. I suspect they'll be in contention again next year without Cooper.

I agree with everything else, except for the part about McCarron being much more than an efficient game manager. Same for McElroy, who also won a championship.
    You're a tough nut, I'll give you that. I'm talking in general and you insist on specifics. It takes 13 or 14 games to win a championship, not one. Alabama has had many receivers that have been effective in the passing game, not just the big names. They can run and pass effectively and always have since Saban got there. Anytime they have lost games that cost them a BCS berth, it was because of some weakness that the other team exploited. A team has to be pretty good at all aspects of the game to be elite and that's my only point. And I was making that in reference to the title of this thread which I took to mean being one dimensional passing or running.