Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

2010 recruiting (2011 class) is partially to blame for this year

I know it's popular belief that OU isn't very good at recruiting, but the truth is we have done fine under Stoops. Some classes are better than others, but there's rarely been a "bad" recruiting class. If you weren't aware, the 2011 recruiting class was one of the "bad" ones. Not that we didn't land some quality talent, but there were many factors that lead to that class being almost nonexistent. Had that class panned out, those players would been R-Sophomores and juniors this year. Given that we were pretty damn young (especially on defense), it's pretty obvious that the 2011 class was partially responsible for this year's disappointment.

Every year, Stoops & staff brings in between 20-25 new recruits. Nobody expects every single one of those to become impact players, let alone super stars, but the 2011 class is woefully absent. Here's a look at that class along with current update on the players:

Player Position Rating Status as of the 2014 season
    Trey Metoyer WR 5 star Removed from team/disciplinary reasons
    Kellen Jones MLB 4 star Transferred to Clemson
    Nila Kasitati TE moved to OL 3 star Played in 11 of 12 games for OU
    Bennett Okotcha CB 3 star Transferred to UTEP
    Dan Tapko DE 4 star Left program
    Jordan Phillips DT 5 star Played in 12 of 12 games for OU
    Derrick Farniok OL 3 star Played in 12 of 12 games for OU
    Archie Bradley QB 3 star Signed MLB contract/no show at OU
    Dylan Dismuke OL 3 star Injured before arriving/retired
    Frank Shannon S moved to LB 4 star Suspended for 2014
    Nathan Hughes DE 5 star Left program
    Max Stevenson TE 4 star Left program
    Brandon Williams RB 5 star Transferred to Texas A&M
    Danzel Williams RB 3 star Transferred to Central Arkansas
    Jordan Wade DT 4 star Played in 5 of 12 games for OU
    P.L. Lindley OLB 3 star Played in 9 of 12 games for OU
    Kendall Thompson QB 3 star Transferred to Utah
    Kameel Jackson WR 3 star Left program

As you can see, only 5 of the 19 players are still on the team, and only a couple (Phillips & Kasitati) are real contributors. Frank Shannon is kind of an exception, but he wasn't available for 2014. Any way you look at it, that's bad.

2011 was the last time Bob really cleaned house within the coaching ranks. So, some of the departures were because of the change in coaching (Kellen Moore, for example, followed Venables to Clemson). However, even the guys that left didn't amount to much in the college football world. Brandon Williams transferred to Texas A&M, and has seen action for the Aggies, but I wouldn't call him a game changer or super star.

The bottom line is that the evaluations for the 2011 class were pretty bad in most cases (can't really say that for Archie Bradley, as he never played football. Or Dylan Dismuke, because he was injured before he ever had a chance to play). I think it's fair to say the evaluations, for a large part of the class, were pretty bad.

When you only have 5 out of 19 guys from a class, it's going to catch up to you. And it did this year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: 2010 recruiting (2011 class) is partially to blame for this year

Yeah, I was looking at this the other day, and was considering making a thread.

It's pretty impressive the amount of talent we had out there despite this, seeing as we should have gotten a lot of firepower from our oldest class. Jordan Phillips is the only real NFL guy on that list. Nila and Derrick might be key players for us next year on the O-line, as might Shannon at inside linebacker, but I don't think our win total would have changed at all had we completely removed this entire class. That's crazy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Not kellen Moore the qb. *kellen Jones* to Clemson right? Anyway to see who else was after these guys without losing your job?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at this the other day, and was considering making a thread.

It's pretty impressive the amount of talent we had out there despite this, seeing as we should have gotten a lot of firepower from our oldest class. Jordan Phillips is the only real NFL guy on that list. Nila and Derrick might be key players for us next year on the O-line, as might Shannon at inside linebacker, but I don't think our win total would have changed at all had we completely removed this entire class. That's crazy.
    I know for a lot of folks this is just going to be an "excuse", but things like this can absolutely affect a season. There are a lot of players on that list that could have really helped this year (had they turned out the way they could have). Metoyer could have been huge this year, as could Okotcha. In the end, we were without almost an entire class. The recruiting evaluations that were going on in Shipps last year in Norman were almost nonexistent.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Not kellen Moore the qb. *kellen Jones* to Clemson right? Anyway to see who else was after these guys without losing your job?
    You're right, Kellen Jones. I had it right in the first list, then confused him later. It was Kellen Jones.

I can see who else was after them, it'll take a bit, but I'l post what I find.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I know it's popular belief that OU isn't very good at recruiting, but the truth is we have done fine under Stoops. Some classes are better than others, but there's rarely been a "bad" recruiting class. If you weren't aware, the 2011 recruiting class was one of the "bad" ones. Not that we didn't land some quality talent, but there were many factors that lead to that class being almost nonexistent. Had that class panned out, those players would been R-Sophomores and juniors this year. Given that we were pretty damn young (especially on defense), it's pretty obvious that the 2011 class was partially responsible for this year's disappointment.

Every year, Stoops & staff brings in between 20-25 new recruits. Nobody expects every single one of those to become impact players, let alone super stars, but the 2011 class is woefully absent. Here's a look at that class along with current update on the players:

Player Position Rating Status as of the 2014 season
    Trey Metoyer WR 5 star Removed from team/disciplinary reasons
    Kellen Jones MLB 4 star Transferred to Clemson
    Nila Kasitati TE moved to OL 3 star Played in 11 of 12 games for OU
    Bennett Okotcha CB 3 star Transferred to UTEP
    Dan Tapko DE 4 star Left program
    Jordan Phillips DT 5 star Played in 12 of 12 games for OU
    Derrick Farniok OL 3 star Played in 12 of 12 games for OU
    Archie Bradley QB 3 star Signed MLB contract/no show at OU
    Dylan Dismuke OL 3 star Injured before arriving/retired
    Frank Shannon S moved to LB 4 star Suspended for 2014
    Nathan Hughes DE 5 star Left program
    Max Stevenson TE 4 star Left program
    Brandon Williams RB 5 star Transferred to Texas A&M
    Danzel Williams RB 3 star Transferred to Central Arkansas
    Jordan Wade DT 4 star Played in 5 of 12 games for OU
    P.L. Lindley OLB 3 star Played in 9 of 12 games for OU
    Kendall Thompson QB 3 star Transferred to Utah
    Kameel Jackson WR 3 star Left program

As you can see, only 5 of the 19 players are still on the team, and only a couple (Phillips & Kasitati) are real contributors. Frank Shannon is kind of an exception, but he wasn't available for 2014. Any way you look at it, that's bad.

2011 was the last time Bob really cleaned house within the coaching ranks. So, some of the departures were because of the change in coaching (Kellen Moore, for example, followed Venables to Clemson). However, even the guys that left didn't amount to much in the college football world. Brandon Williams transferred to Texas A&M, and has seen action for the Aggies, but I wouldn't call him a game changer or super star.

The bottom line is that the evaluations for the 2011 class were pretty bad in most cases (can't really say that for Archie Bradley, as he never played football. Or Dylan Dismuke, because he was injured before he ever had a chance to play). I think it's fair to say the evaluations, for a large part of the class, were pretty bad.

When you only have 5 out of 19 guys from a class, it's going to catch up to you. And it did this year.
    Great post...my question is where is all the talent now? Can we please get a linebacker with some God given talent. Gimme some Lehman, calmus, Marshall, and some Rufus ( would say Reynolds, but obviously injuries got em...) d lineman is just as bad...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

This has been helpful. Might you have similar info on classes preceding 2011 so we can compare personnel losses?
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Here ya go:

Player Still @ OU? Offers (other than OU)
    Trey Metoyer No Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
    Kellen Jones No Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Colorado, Houston, Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Missouri, Purdue, Stanford, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wyoming
    Nila Kasitati Yes Baylor, Duke, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, Utah
    Bennett Okotcha No Baylor, Georgia, Minnesota, Notre Dame, TCU, Texas, Wake Forest, Wisconsin
    Dab Tapko No Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Wisconsin
    Jordan Phillips Yes Auburn, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, UCLA
    Derick Farniok Yes Kansas, Minnesota, UCLA, Wisconsin
    Archie Bradley No Houston, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA
    Dylan Dismuke No Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Tulsa
    Frank Shannon No Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M
    Nathan Hughes No Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, California, Duke, Florida State, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane
    Max Stevenson No Arizona, Baylor, California, Duke, Iowa State, LSU, Mississippi State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Rice, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane, Virginia
    Brandon Williams No Baylor, Houston, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
    Danzel Williams No Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, TCU, Tulsa
    Jordan Wade Yes Baylor, Houston, Nebraska, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
    P.L. Lindley Yes Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech
    Kendall Thompson No Tulsa
    Kameel Jackson No Kansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulsa

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Here ya go:

Player Still @ OU? Offers (other than OU)
    Trey Metoyer No Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
    Kellen Jones No Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Colorado, Houston, Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Missouri, Purdue, Stanford, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wyoming
    Nila Kasitati Yes Baylor, Duke, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, Utah
    Bennett Okotcha No Baylor, Georgia, Minnesota, Notre Dame, TCU, Texas, Wake Forest, Wisconsin
    Dab Tapko No Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Wisconsin
    Jordan Phillips Yes Auburn, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, UCLA
    Derick Farniok Yes Kansas, Minnesota, UCLA, Wisconsin
    Archie Bradley No Houston, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA
    Dylan Dismuke No Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Tulsa
    Frank Shannon No Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M
    Nathan Hughes No Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, California, Duke, Florida State, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane
    Max Stevenson No Arizona, Baylor, California, Duke, Iowa State, LSU, Mississippi State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Rice, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane, Virginia
    Brandon Williams No Baylor, Houston, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
    Danzel Williams No Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, TCU, Tulsa
    Jordan Wade Yes Baylor, Houston, Nebraska, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
    P.L. Lindley Yes Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech
    Kendall Thompson No Tulsa
    Kameel Jackson No Kansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulsa
    Wait a minute. I have it on good authority, this message board, we go head to head with North Texas State etc. I didn't see them in that list of schools.

I'm so confused..

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

We had 10 guys make all big 12 this year and 6 were on the 1st team. The talent is there...its the coaches who are lacking.

vCash

Strikes me as odd that four of those players "left the program". Do we know
    why?....even rumors?

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    We had 10 guys make all big 12 this year and 6 were on the 1st team. The talent is there...its the coaches who are lacking.

Your point is pretty damning. With a 5-4 conference record that including two bad losses - one to a punk and one an *** stomping on our home field. Plus what should have been another loss to a punk wearing burnt orange. You would think such a team would have hardly anyone regarded as best at their position.

Thank God we don't play today - I cant take more humiliation this year

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

To rehash a point that I've made several times over the last decade - when you change coaches, you tend to throw away their first 1 or 2 recruiting classes. My guess is the process works like this:

Year 1. Oooo, look at all the athletes that I can get now that I have OU by my name. Only evaluate based on [Athleticism/Talent], maybe grab some guy you really wanted at a previous school.
    Year 2 - Similar recruiting pattern
    Year 2 Spring Football - Wow this guy just can't figure this out and is terrible, maybe I need to change my evaluation patterns
    Year 3 - New recruiting pattern

vCash

How does this compare to someone like Alabama or Oregon?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AzianSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    This is a good question - please also throw in Baylor and FSU as well.

How does this class compare to Florida? is this also one of the main reason that Florida falling?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Strikes me as odd that four of those players "left the program". Do we know
    why?....even rumors?
    Tapko was injured and "retired". Stevenson quit football altogether. Hughes hung around for a couple of years, but never did much. The coaches eventually moved him to the O-line, trying to find a spot for him, but it never really worked. He also gave up on football. Kameel Jackson actually quit football, then decided to play at a JUCO. He's actually looking to get back to D1 with Tennessee.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to, but only 3 Sooners made the AP All-conference first team:

Eric Striker
    Samaje Perine
    Daryl Williams

Second team included 4 Sooners

Tyrus Thompson
    Sterling Shepard
    Dom Alexander
    Jordan Phillips

Second team doesn't mean much in the big picture, but first team guys are typically excellent players. We only had 3 this year. The second team guys are all very good, and I think Shepard would have been a lock for first team had he not gotten beat.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    I'll do some research, but I can tell you it's not even going to compare. In fact, it doesn't even compare to any other OU class under Stoops. It is extremely rare that only 5 members of a class remain on a team.

vCash

Not sure what you're referring to, but only 3 Sooners made the AP All-conference first team:

Eric Striker
    Samaje Perine
    Daryl Williams

Second team included 4 Sooners

Tyrus Thompson
    Sterling Shepard
    Dom Alexander
    Jordan Phillips

Second team doesn't mean much in the big picture, but first team guys are typically excellent players. We only had 3 this year. The second team guys are all very good, and I think Shepard would have been a lock for first team had he not gotten beat.
    I thought Sanchez made 1st team....I could be wrong, though...

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    I thought Sanchez made 1st team....I could be wrong, though...
    You're correct, he did make the first team. They have it so jumbled, he kinda blended in:

FIRST-TEAM OFFENSE:
    Center: B.J. Finney, Kansas St., 6-4, 303, Sr., Andale, Kan.
    Offensive line: Le'Raven Clark, Texas Tech, 6-6, 313, Jr., Rockdale, Texas; u-Spencer Drango, Baylor, 6-6, 310, Jr., Cedar Park, Texas; Mark Glowinski, West Virginia, 6-5, 312, Sr., Wikes-Barre, Pa.; Daryl Williams, Oklahoma, 6-6, 329, Sr., Lake Dallas, Texas.
    Tight end: E.J. Bibbs, Iowa St., 6-3, 264, Sr., Chicago.
    Receivers: Corey Coleman, Baylor, 5-11, 190, So., Richardson, Texas; Tyler Lockett, Kansas St., 5-11, 175, Sr., Tulsa, Okla.; Kevin White, West Virginia, 6-3, 210, Sr., Plainfield, N.J.
    Running back: u-Samaje Perine, Oklahoma, 5-11, 243, Fr., Pflugerville, Texas.
    Quarterback: u-Trevone Boykin, TCU, 6-2, 205, Jr., Dallas.
    All-purpose: Tyreek Hill, Oklahoma St., 5-10, 185, Jr., Pearson, Ga.
    Kicker: Josh Lambert, West Virginia, 5-11, 215, So., Garland, Texas.
    SECOND-TEAM OFFENSE:
    Center: Joey Hunt, TCU, 6-3, 295, Jr., El Campo, Texas.
    Offensive line: Tayo Fabuluje, 6-7, 360, Sr., Euless, Texas.; Quinton Spain, West Virginia, 6-4, 332, Sr., Petersburg, Va.; Tyrus Thompson, Oklahoma, 6-5, 336, Sr., Pasadena, Texas; Cody Whitehair, Kansas St., 6-4, 309, Jr., Abilene, Kan.
    Tight end: Jimmay Mudine, Kansas, 6-2, 240, Sr., Denison, Texas.
    Receivers: John Harris, Texas, 6-3, 223, Sr., Garland, Texas; Curry Sexton, 5-11, 183, Sr., Abilene, Kan.; Sterling Shepard,5-10, 194, Jr., Oklahoma City.
    Running back: Shock Linwood, Baylor, 5-9, 200, So., Linden, Texas.
    Quarterback: Bryce Petty, Baylor, 6-3, 230, Sr., Midlothian, Texas.
    All-purpose: Tyler Lockett, Kansas St., 5-11, 175, Sr., Tulsa, Okla.
    Kicker: Jaden Oberkrom, TCU, 6-3, 187, Jr., Arlington, Texas.
    FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE
    Defensive line: Andrew Billings, Baylor, 6-2, 300, So., Waco, Texas; Malcom Brown, Texas, 6-2, 320, Jr., Brenham, Texas; Shawn Oakman, Baylor, 6-0, 280, Jr., Landsdowne, Pa.; Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma St., 6-4, 270, So., Houston.
    Linebacker: u-Paul Dawson, TCU, 6-2, 230, Sr., Dallas; Ben Heeney, Kansas, 6-0, 230, Sr., Hutchinson, Kan.; Pete Robertson, Texas Tech, Jr., 6-3, 236, Longview, Texas; Eric Striker, Oklahoma, 6-0, 221, Jr., Seffner, Fla.
    Defensive back: Sam Carter, TCU, 6-1, 215, Sr., New Orleans; Chris Hackett, TCU, 6-2, 195, Jr., Tyler, Texas; Zack Sanchez, Oklahoma, 5-11, 179, So., Fort Worth, Texas; Orion Stewart, Baylor, 6-2, 200, So., Waco, Texas.
    Punter: Trevor Pardula, Kansas, 6-5, 212, Sr., San Jose, Calif.
    SECOND-TEAM DEFENSE
    Defensive line: Chucky Hunter, TCU, 6-1, 305, Sr., West Monroe, La.; Ryan Mueller, Kansas St., 6-2, 245, Sr., Leawood, Kan.; Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma, 6-6, 334, So., Towanda, Kan.; Cedric Reed, Texas, 6-5, 272, Sr., Cleveland, Texas.
    Linebacker: Dominique Alexander, Oklahoma, 6-0, 227, So., Tulsa, Okla.; Bryce Hager, Baylor, 6-2, 235, Sr., Austin, Texas; Jordan Hicks, Texas, 6-1, 234, Sr.; Cincinnati; Jonathan Truman, Kansas St., 5-11, 219, Sr., Kechi, Kan.
    Defensive back: Quandre Diggs, Texas, 5-10, 195, Sr., Angelton, Texas; Karl Joseph, West Virginia, 5-11, 196, Jr., Orlando, Fla.; JaCorey Shepherd, Kansas, 5-11, 195, Sr., Mesquite, Texas; Nigel Tribune, Iowa St., 5-11, 185, So., Jacksonville, Fla.
    Punter: Spencer Roth, Baylor, 6-5, 220, Sr., Knoxville, Tenn.
    ___
    Offensive player of the year — Trevone Boykin, TCU.
    Defensive player of the year — Paul Dawson, TCU.
    Offensive newcomer of the year — Samaje Perine, Oklahoma.
    Defensive newcomer of the year — Taylor Young, Baylor.