Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Any injury updates?

?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Any injury updates?

The only thing I saw was a quote from Perine saying he would be back in 2 weeks (ankle sprain). I'm not betting my mortgage on it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I believe he said 'couple of weeks' but yeah, that's pretty much it. Everybody should get two weeks off and then bowl prep begins. We're about as banged up as we were in 2011 at the Insight Bowl. Looks like Clemson is pretty dinged as well--they're trying to decide if they'll let their emerging star frosh QB have his torn ACL repaired and scratch him for this game, or let him play. Seems like an easy decision to me. With the way our D is playing, I'd put him under the knife and start rehabbing for next year.

Administrator
    vCash

I don't think we'll have any official word until Stoops does his next press conference (with won't be for another week or so).

The game is only 19 days away, so prep should start Monday. I suspect he'll have a press conference with updates then.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

The game is only 19 days away, so prep should start Monday. I suspect he'll have a press conference with updates then.
    lol..yup, that's what I was thinking...not a jan bowl like usual...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

I don't think we'll have any official word until Stoops does his next press conference (with won't be for another week or so).

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    lol..yup, that's what I was thinking...not a jan bowl like usual...
    So then I can turn off my Satilite TeeVee earlier this year, Yea me
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

My call in question tonight: Will TK and Bob's badly bruised ego be back to form by the bowl game? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen off the air.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 12/13/2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Knight has been cleared to play. I don't know a lot about that particular injury he suffered, but was clearing him a matter of something healing or more an issue of time since his injury occurred?
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Prolly just giving venables something to think about before this massively important bowl game.

vCash

I'd kinda like to see them give Bell one last start under center. Though if he thinks he would have better chances of getting drafted as a TE, I guess that would be better for him.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

This is great news - especially knowing that TK has not suffered a career ending injury. This also give us a much better chance of competing in the bowl game. Now if we can follow up with good news on Perine and Shepard, we might even win this dang thing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    I'd kinda like to see them give Bell one last start under center. Though if he thinks he would have better chances of getting drafted as a TE, I guess that would be better for him.
    Yes, Bell needs to be all in on the TE thing. Not that one game would make a big difference, but I'm sure his reps were limited at QB both in number and the percentage of the offense it covered.

Administrator
    vCash

Knight has been cleared to play. I don't know a lot about that particular injury he suffered, but was clearing him a matter of something healing or more an issue of time since his injury occurred?
    I've covered this in another thread, but what it boiled down to was Knight being comfortable enough (without pain) to play. The only thing holding him back was spasms and pain from the injury. It was a matter of the swelling going down enough that it took the pressure off his nerve roots. Fortunately, the chances that this type of injury reoccurs are slim. Just a freak thing on a dirty play.

vCash

I hope it's as slim as you say. I would feel absolutely sick if it reoccurred.

Administrator
    vCash

I hope it's as slim as you say. I would feel absolutely sick if it reoccurred.
    It was basically a "stinger". No fractures, and no narrowing of the spinal column were found. Just a bad hit, at a bad angle.

The play should have been flagged, but that's for a different thread.

vCash

It was basically a "stinger". No fractures, and no narrowing of the spinal column were found. Just a bad hit, at a bad angle.

On replay, it's clear the second tackler did strike him in the facemask with his forearm but that looked incidental, certainly not what I'd consider a malicious hit. They probably didn't need the second guy to bring him down but our guys would have done the same thing trying to force a fumble or just to ensure the sack. It's not as surprising as say either of White's ACL injuries were, but it didn't seem like the kind of hit that would cause that much damage. Idk, maybe that injury just freaks me out more than it should.

vCash

On replay, it's clear the second tackler did strike him in the facemask with his forearm but that looked incidental, certainly not what I'd consider a malicious hit. They probably didn't need the second guy to bring him down but our guys would have done the same thing trying to force a fumble or just to ensure the sack. It's not as surprising as say either of White's ACL injuries were, but it didn't seem like the kind of hit that would cause that much damage. Idk, maybe that injury just freaks me out more than it should.
    Watch it again, Two of em had him down when Oakman came in and Clipped TK on the chin with his elbow on purpose !

vCash

It looked like TK was trying to hold his head up as his body went horizonal and that left his neck at a weird angle when the second guy hit him. No spinal stenosis was detected in x-rays, so I'm not surprised the dire predictions of a career injury were not true. I'm sure there are other reasons symptoms like this can lead to a player quitting football, but spinal stenosis seems to be the big one we hear about. I'm just glad he is healthy and I trust the doctors and coaches are being very conservative with this. I hope a 2nd tier bowl game would not be motivation to push the limit here.

vCash

Heres the Vid, Cheap shot thru an thru! he was down with 2 defenders on him when Oakman lead in with the Elbow.

Administrator
    vCash

It was a dirty hit by Oakmon, and it's the cause of the injury as best I can tell. I keep saying it was a "freak" injury because the blow happened at a time when TK was contorted. Just a series of events that led to a freak injury.

Without going into a long diatribe, I suffered a similar injury that ended my football career. Later in life, I re-injured the same area (skiing accident) and ended up having many surgeries and a long recovery from partial paralysis. Since that occurred, I've educated myself on anything/everything spinal cord related (specifically the cervical spine), with emphasis on spinal cord injuries as they relate to football. I'm not a medical person, but serve on two youth football boards in my area and coordinate educational seminars with a local spinal cord and brain injury specialty hospital. I've spent years researching these kinds of things.

With TK's injury, it all came down to an injury to his nerve root (which extends from the spinal cord through the vertebrae. Any injury in that area, with enough force, will insult the cord itself. That's where the temporary paralysis came from. After the MRI was done, they found no damage to the cord/column itself...which is the good news. So, it was just a matter of treating TK for the pain and spasms he was dealing with.

During the course of his testing (MRI, etc.), the neurologist look for a narrowing of the spinal column (called stenosis). Had they discovered stenosis in his spine, his playing says would have been over. A lot of guys end up leaving the game because of that reason (Ben Habern is the most recent Sooner to retire with stenosis). When the spine is narrow like that, one blow can force the column itself into the spine and cause permanent paralysis. In TK's case, it was 'just' a compression of the nerve.