Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: HS game to be reviewed by courts...Douglas HS Okla

I'd love to see the rules expanded in future years so that some predefined committee could make a determination whether a game could be continued from the point of the mistake. I think to do this it would have to meet the following criteria:

1. The mistake could not be a judgement call.
    2. The game would have effectively ended (or very close to it) after the mistake.

#2 couldn't be codified in a rule so it would take a committee to make a judgement call.

Obviously if a similar error occurred in the second quarter, you can't wipe out 2+ quarters of plays. Doing so could easily be more unfair than mistake itself.

But #2 would be a hard criteria to meet. Locust Grove was forced to play defense after the penalty was incorrectly enforced and they stopped Douglass. If Douglass had scored they (Douglass) would not have protested. That means if a committee has the power to force a replay, you have effectively forced Locust Grove to having to finish and win the game twice. A failure on either case would result in their loss.

I guess in that scenario, had Douglass scored after the penalty, Locust Grove could have protested saying that the game ending should be replayed after Douglass's first score.

Allowing replays would be tricky business.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    You know that some missed holding call (which is entirely subjective to begin with) in the middle of the game is not the same as the official not enforcing the penalty correctly on a play at the end of the game that would have probably determined the outcome of the game.

I'm not saying the game should be replayed but I am calling B.S. on what you just said and I doubt that was the line you took when we got screwed in Oregon. Was some missed holding call early in that game the same as the official never actually trying to determine who recovered the onside kick (OU) nor correctly determining that Oregon touched the ball before 10 yards - calls that would have ended the game?
    I never said a holding call in the in the middle of the game is the same thing. I'm saying that bad calls happen, and you can't replay a game based off of them.

I never claimed the final few minutes of the game in Oregon should be replayed, so you're wrong about that. It's also completely different when you have review officials that refuse to correct multiple obvious calls.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    I'm confused. Rest of what postseason? If the OSSAA doesn't replay the ending of the game then there is no rest of postseason for Douglass or Alexander.
    Well, there's now an update on that front. Douglass got probation and the fan got banned for life.

If granted the opportunity to replay the controversial Class 3A quarterfinal with Locus Grove, Douglass is now eligible to continue.
    The OSSAA was discussing a hypothetical, and the board was actually divided in their decision (3 votes against I think) to turn down Douglass' appeal. I think the motion involving Alexander was withdrawn after discussion led toward just turning Douglass down, period. If there was any discussion involving Douglass playing again this postseason, I think that discussion would be sans Alexander after his postgame words/actions.

My stance is unchanged. It's sad and unfortunate, but OSSAA can change the rules (and make sure the refs are aware of the rules before the playoffs start) based on this incident to prevent future controversy. There's no precedent for replaying all or part of an Oklahoma HS football game based on a botched call. Don't get the courts involved, it's time to move on. Sorry.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

So what is our lesson today class? Right, defense of the bureaucratic status quo is more important than relentless pursuit of adjudicating wrongs....Let them eat cake!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    So what is our lesson today class? Right, defense of the bureaucratic status quo is more important than relentless pursuit of adjudicating wrongs....Let them eat cake!
    You're right.

Let's get the courts involved to replay the OSU game, because Perine's progress had stopped, and that wasn't a fumble. Also, OSU's player fumbled after the Sanchez hit, and that was miscalled as an incomplete pass.

vCash

The adults are going to skunk the 3A's postseason with their legal wrangling to the point that nobody will get to play, even the teams not involved in that game.

Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjustice!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The adults are going to skunk the 3A's postseason with their legal wrangling to the point that nobody will get to play, even the teams not involved in that game.

Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjustice!
    That's just their way of teaching their kids life lessons!

vCash

Unlike college and pro football players, who can have their postseasons extend as far into the New Year as possible if it means more money, high schools have another sports season kicking off. Especially at smaller schools (like the class 3A in question), athletes play both fall and winter (and possibly also spring) sports.

How long will the adults allow this situation to get drawn out

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You're right.

Let's get the courts involved to replay the OSU game, because Perine's progress had stopped, and that wasn't a fumble. Also, OSU's player fumbled after the Sanchez hit, and that was miscalled as an incomplete pass.
    Apples and oranges. On field calls are by nature at least somewhat subjective. Even at that there is replay which can pick up other errors. The league office can even go back and reverse calls after the fact in the event of ejection for say targeting. In this case we are not talking about anything subjective whatsoever. We are talking about hard codified rules and regulations put in place by OSSAA themselves. OSSAA,s dismissive attitude and a failure to try to right a wrong is what lead to this. If getting the court involved is a little inconvenient then so be it.

But hey, you are talking to a guy who fought 2 1/2 years over a $17.00 bill I didn't owe so I'm not philosophically inclined to just let stuff go unchallenged.

vCash

Well, there's now an update on that front. Douglass got probation and the fan got banned for life.

The OSSAA was discussing a hypothetical, and the board was actually divided in their decision (3 votes against I think) to turn down Douglass' appeal. I think the motion involving Alexander was withdrawn after discussion led toward just turning Douglass down, period. If there was any discussion involving Douglass playing again this postseason, I think that discussion would be sans Alexander after his postgame words/actions.

My stance is unchanged. It's sad and unfortunate, but OSSAA can change the rules (and make sure the refs are aware of the rules before the playoffs start) based on this incident to prevent future controversy. There's no precedent for replaying all or part of an Oklahoma HS football game based on a botched call. Don't get the courts involved, it's time to move on. Sorry.
    There's no precedent on calling a sideline infraction the way it was called either. So they could order a replay, have the game replayed from that point, and then send an apology to Locust Grove stating they enforced the rules incorrectly and should not have ordered a replay.

I kid, sort of.

vCash

The funny thing is that I don't even think Douglass knew why they were upset the night of the game. I think they were just ticked that the penalty was called. Only later did they realize just how severe the official's mistake was.

vCash

I get that you disagree with me on this front and that's cool. I hate that this happened to teenagers and if you play sport as tough and injury-prone as football this has to be the equivalent of the disappointment of a lifetime. If no changes are made in the aftermath to HS football, playoffs especially, then this is a wasted opportunity.

I am definitely not advocating "do nothing." I am glad that they have banned the punchy fan. I am glad that they are placing Douglass on probation (without postseason ban) and are calling the HS coach on his postgame actions/words. I am sad for the kids; because the solution here is to move forward and let the game stand as called, even if called incorrectly. That will make people upset, but these are high school teenagers and winter break looms, not to mention winter sports season and perhaps midterm finals.

Good for them. They are making it enough of a big deal to get the rules changed, and I would love this to carry over to other sports/leagues. "Refs are human too" is a ridiculous argument when we have the technology and ability to get calls that are blantanly and clearly called incorrect, to be overturned. It's not a perfect world in sports, but it could be with rule changes. I realize there would be some repercussions to this but still. If it worked out, no more oregon type games or 2012 NBA finals bullsh** officiating.

vCash

If the coach for Douglass would have kept his cool and used his ****ing head instead of flipping his **** they would have looked at the rule book right there and reversed it......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    If the coach for Douglass would have kept his cool and used his ****ing head instead of flipping his **** they would have looked at the rule book right there and reversed it......
    From what I've heard, the coach had no idea that it was incorrectly enforced. He was just pissed that it was called at all.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Yet again, being held down by "the man"...

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Yet again, being held down by "the man"...
    this guy?

Oklahoma judge rules against replaying Douglass-Locust Grove game

An Oklahoma County district judge has decided that a Class 3A playoff game should not be replayed.

Judge Bernard Jones’ ruling Thursday clears the way for Locust Grove to play OKC Heritage Hall in the semifinals. That game is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday at Sapulpa High School.
    Inevitable appeal I guess... or the adults could step back and act like adults... hmmm... not holding my breath

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    OSSAA,s dismissive attitude and a failure to try to right a wrong is what lead to this. If getting the court involved is a little inconvenient then so be it.
    Can you address the point I made earlier?

1. Two scenarios the game could have originally ended:

A. After the incorrect penalty, Locust Grove stops Douglass and wins the game.
    B. After the incorrect penalty, Douglass scores anyway.

2. Two scenarios that could play out if you replay from the incorrect penalty.

A. Locust Grove scores anyway. They win.
    B. Douglass stops Locust Grove from scoring and they win.

So let's analyze this. Under 1A there is a protest and the game continues. Under 1B, since Douglass won anyway, there would be no protest.

Under 2B, Douglass wins.

What you are doing by replaying the game after the mistake is you are forcing Locust Grove to complete the game twice and win it.

I think we all agree that Douglass probably would have won the game had the rule been enforced correctly but the only fair way to do it is by stopping the game at that point. If you continue and you force Locust Grove into making a stop you've unfairly punished them.

OSSAA isn't being dismissive. They just don't have the ability to right the wrong and even if they did it would be unfair to Locust Grove because you're asking them to complete and win the game twice. If they fail either time they lose.

vCash

So let's not have refs at all, electronic monitoring of the line of scrimage & the ball(imbedded sensors) & cameras on every player. Yeah, that would make the game more fun to watch!
    I don't know what's wrong, but it's probably your fault.

Olevet Posse

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Just waiting on the day when our stadiums get a piranha filled moat around the field like they have in many third world countries.