Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Watering the Big12 down even further: Has it begun?

Bowlsby said today (after the conference meeting) that the conference is NOT looking to add two additional members, saying that would be a "bad decision". There was discussion about adding a CCG, but nothing was determined.

At least Bowlsby (and the ADs) are smart enough to know that bringing in 12 teams just to get to 12 is a horrible idea.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I don't want any group of 5 teams. We already have perception issues.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I'm glad we're not bringing in a couple of ringers just to get to some magical number of teams in conference. Of course this also makes it crystal clear that as a conference the Big 12 is fenced in. There are no viable options for expansion. No graceful way to schedule a CCG. Going forward we will just have to play it as it lays.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

The shorter term answer for all 10 teams is make sure your OOC is as good as possible. Each school controls those three games so make them count ... use them to help offset any possible perception issues related to the conference schedule and/or lack of a CCG.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    What a craptacular CF OU is in right now. We decided to suck on ut's teat, but then are anchored to freakin' Pork U. If we'd had any foresight, we would have taken hands with a&m and jumped to the SEC, leaving Mizzou behind in the dust along with the rest of this sorry conference.

OSU hates to be called Li'l Brother? Let them prove it. Let OU go and show us what a fine establishment you are. I still think the SEC would take us as they have room to grow to 16, though I don't know who comes with us. Honestly, I'd like it to be WV, but I think the SEC for whatever reason already shot them down.
    Because the state of West Virginia was created out of opposition to the Confederacy.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

Another thought for long term viability ... as a conference cozy up to the SEC even more. We've seen it some in the bowl agreements but cozy up even more in OOC scheduling and working together ... maybe with the long term goal of dividing up the ACC. The SEC would love to move it's footprint into N. Carolina and Virginia ... but was blocked in the last round of realignment ... and we know there were FSU to the Big-12 rumors not to long ago. the ACC is a weak conference football wise ... and might not be all that stable long term.

I think long term either the ACC or Big-12 will fall apart and we will end up with the 4 super conferences. It won't happen overnight but it seems like that will be the pace of things. If the Big-12 can outlast the ACC maybe the SEC can get it's desire of Virginia Tech and N. Carolina and the Big-12 could add say FSU, GT, Clemson, Louisville, Pitt, Duke or N.C. St. (or pick another combo that works).
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

vCash

I think the ACC getting its meat hooks into ND gave it a big shot in the arm. Before that, I would have agreed that they were the long-shot. Now, though, when you compare the ACC top to bottom with the XII, at best it's even and arguably the ACC has the upper hand: FSU, UM, ND, Clemson are a pretty darn good top 4, with VT, GT, and other decent programs below. No one cares about a XII with TCU, BU, and KSU topping the conference. If OU and ut aren't competitive for national titles, the conference has no luster, at all.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    I think the ACC getting its meat hooks into ND gave it a big shot in the arm. Before that, I would have agreed that they were the long-shot. Now, though, when you compare the ACC top to bottom with the XII, at best it's even and arguably the ACC has the upper hand: FSU, UM, ND, Clemson are a pretty darn good top 4, with VT, GT, and other decent programs below. No one cares about a XII with TCU, BU, and KSU topping the conference. If OU and ut aren't competitive for national titles, the conference has no luster, at all.
    Agree 169%. Except that I'd say GT isn't just a decent program, but a darn good one. And, great for academics to boot...a heck of a lot better than any one of the commuter schools the Big 12 is rumored to be playing footsy with.

Texas was a heavy ACC rumor in 2010/11 as well. Wouldn't shock me with their academic snobbery that they'd like to be included with academic names like Duke and Georgia Tech if they could also keep their network that no one watches.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Agree 169%.
    Dammit!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Dammit!
    Son, don't you do any long term investing? Anything over 100% seems to befuddle you.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Agree 169%. Except for I'd say GT isn't just a decent program, but a darn good one. And, great for academics to boot...a heck of a lot better than any one of the commuter schools the Big 12 is rumored to be playing footsy with.
    There is that >100% agreeing again. Please be careful, you're going to cook some grey matter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    There is that >100% agreeing again. Please be careful, you're going to cook some grey matter.
    I'm beginning to realize that. I entreat them to look at it this way: "If I had bought Apple stock in 1989, my return would now be what percent?"

(Hint: It'd be greater than 100%.)

Do they teach higher math in schools anymore? Or, is it just for the Chinese and Wall Streeters?

vCash

Son, don't you do any long term investing? Anything over 100% seems to befuddle you.
    I hope that Cody Thomas completes 169% of his passes in our bowl game.

vCash

I'm beginning to realize that. I entreat them to look at it this way: "If I had bought Apple stock in 1989, my return would now be what percent?"

(Hint: It'd be greater than 100%.)

Do they teach higher math in schools anymore? Or, is it just for the Chinese and Wall Streeters?
    If you bought Apple stock in 1989, it was at about $5 per share. Right now, it's about $110. Your return would be 2,200%.

Why didn't you agree 2,200%? The fact that you only agree 169% makes me think you're not very confident.

vCash

If you bought Apple stock in 1989, it was at about $5 per share. Right now, it's about $110. Your return would be 2,200%.

Why didn't you agree 2,200%? The fact that you only agree 169% makes me think you're not very confident.
    I'm not confident that we'd be invited into the ACC, but very confident in Senor SoonerMarkVA's comments.

vCash

I think we're 97% of the way to off season.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

3835 percent

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I think we're 97% of the way to off season.
    I agree with you 104%.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Ah geez, what a bunch of chicken littles.

Right now the SEC is the only conference better than ours, and the Pac-12 is right beside us. Every other conference is worse than ours.

This is ONE time that we didn't get our top team in the playoffs. It's not like this has happened over and over. It was just the perfect storm of two 11-1 teams splitting votes, TCU collapsing in the 4th quarter at Waco, tOSU obliterating Wisconsin in a fashion nobody expected, and Baylor suffering from non-conference scheduling decisions they made when they needed every possible win just to have a chance at bowl eligibility.

Had Alabama stumbled against Auburn or Mizzou, the SEC wouldn't have a representative, either. Same goes for Pac-12 if Oregon hadn't avenged their Arizona loss. Same for Big 10 had tOSU not destroyed Wisconsin. Same goes for FSU if they had lost any of their many close games.

We're just fine.
    LOL....oh wait, you're serious. The Big 12 has not played in a title game since Missouri, Nebraska and TAMU departed. When those programs left they took whatever legitimacy the Big 12 had as a serious conference.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    LOL....oh wait, you're serious. The Big 12 has not played in a title game since Missouri, Nebraska and TAMU departed. When those programs left they took whatever legitimacy the Big 12 had as a serious conference.
    How many undefeated teams have come out of the Big XII in that time period?