Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Long post on random topics about this football team..Worst Thread Title Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Puke. Is everyone asleep? TCU has had one winning season in three years in the Big 12...and, we want to copy them?

We've already switched to a defense that admits we can't recruit enough DTs to make a 4-3 work. How many more times must we raise the white flag to opposing OCs?
    Huh? STEP said Mike used a 4-2-5 variation his first time around, and would be better going back to that again.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

Re: Long post on random topics about this football team..Worst Thread Title Ever.

This would make really good reading in a letter to the editor in major newspapers.
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

"The more film I have looked at on him the more I have no idea what Oklahoma is doing on defense. I have never seen a bigger mess with so many good football players."

so, to a common guy like me...that says COACHING~ but we hear the same old excuse every Sunday...players didn't make plays. Yes, I know that's part of it, BUT if an NFL guy thinks we have so many good football players....just saying.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

If Bob is so sincere about winning Big 12 Championships I would hope he makes the necessary changes to make that happen regardless of loyalties.

I like Boulder's suggestion of bringing in more NFL coaches.

We have talent. They just need better coaching.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

This is what Bob needs to do - get back to recruiting stud DTs, switch back to the 4-3, and attack.

This crap of stealing Romar, a kid who will never start here, from North Texas on signing day three years ago and the like...that isn't smart.

Get someone in here who can recruit the big boys up front again and quit fooling around in these small school defenses. Stoops has completely overthought this thing. He needs to get back to what brought him and OU championship seasons.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Administrator
    vCash

There's nothing inherently wrong with running a 3-4 defense, and a team can produce a stifling defense under that system. The problem is Mike doesn't know how to run it, and he's coaching scared. It's apparent in the way we play defense, and the way he reacts to questions in his post game press conferences.

If Mike could recruit to that system better, and bring someone in with extensive knowledge of the 3-4, then I think that would change a lot of what we've seen handicapping the team this year. Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen.

Otherwise, get back to what you know. You can defend spread offenses with the 4-3, if you have the right personnel.

What made this season (defensively) so frustrating was knowing we had talent that could play with anyone and watching them be reigned in game after game. Looking back, the Tennessee game was probably the only game when Mike didn't seem to coach scared. He allowed our defense to do what it does best, attack. Sadly, that's about the only time we saw that.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Puke. Is everyone asleep? TCU has had one winning season in three years in the Big 12...and, we want to copy them?
    You don't give them ANY time to transition to a power conference? They did it remarkably fast and I doubt they've hit their ceiling.

4-2-5 sounds logical to me.....more speed against the spread than a 4-3 but you avoid 3 man rushes (which I generally hate).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by UteSooner View Post
    You don't give them ANY time to transition to a power conference? They did it remarkably fast and I doubt they've hit their ceiling.

4-2-5 sounds logical to me.....more speed against the spread than a 4-3 but you avoid 3 man rushes (which I generally hate).
    And TCU has had a defense that has stood up to the big boys for many seasons now. They won the conference this year because they also fielded and effective offense. But I'm not calling for any particular scheme as many have worked, I'd just like a coaching staff that can recruit for it and teach it well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    And TCU has had a defense that has stood up to the big boys for many seasons now. They won the conference this year because they also fielded and effective offense. But I'm not calling for any particular scheme as many have worked, I'd just like a coaching staff that can recruit for it and teach it well.
    I felt like we really struggled offensively against them this year, but our 33 points was our conference record against them. The previous two meetings we won 24-17 and 20-17.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I felt like we really struggled offensively against them this year, but our 33 points was our conference record against them. The previous two meetings we won 24-17 and 20-17.
    They went uptempo on offense which almost always hurts defensive stats. But it clearly was a net win for them. They also down graded talent a bit since they lost Fields (DT) to discipline problems and graduated a 1st round draft pick CB. Not quite as stout as recent years, but I don't think it was a scheme problem.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    They went uptempo on offense which almost always hurts defensive stats. But it clearly was a net win for them. They also down graded talent a bit since they lost Fields (DT) to discipline problems and graduated a 1st round draft pick CB. Not quite as stout as recent years, but I don't think it was a scheme problem.
    I can't imagine how brutal that game would have been had Verrett still been there to cover Shepard.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with running a 3-4 defense, and a team can produce a stifling defense under that system. The problem is Mike doesn't know how to run it, and he's coaching scared. It's apparent in the way we play defense, and the way he reacts to questions in his post game press conferences.

If Mike could recruit to that system better, and bring someone in with extensive knowledge of the 3-4, then I think that would change a lot of what we've seen handicapping the team this year. Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen.

Otherwise, get back to what you know. You can defend spread offenses with the 4-3, if you have the right personnel.

What made this season (defensively) so frustrating was knowing we had talent that could play with anyone and watching them be reigned in game after game. Looking back, the Tennessee game was probably the only game when Mike didn't seem to coach scared. He allowed our defense to do what it does best, attack. Sadly, that's about the only time we saw that.
    Basically any time the QB is a decent threat to run he's terrified. McElroy wasn't going out of the pocket at Alabama and whatsisface with Tennessee was a dang statue. I guess it's what he knows.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Basically any time the QB is a decent threat to run he's terrified. McElroy wasn't going out of the pocket at Alabama and whatsisface with Tennessee was a dang statue. I guess it's what he knows.
    That's how it started, but then he kept doing it...look no further than last Saturday. There is no reason we should ever have dropped 7 or 8 into coverage against a true freshman playing QB (and not the most mobile kid either). Again, it felt like the defensive scheme was to react to whatever OSU was doing, rather than forcing our will on the offense and forcing them to adjust and be uncomfortable.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

I agree I don't think there is anything wrong with running a 3-4 base defense. Just div 1 football at Oklahoma isn't the place you decide to learn it.
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Huh? STEP said Mike used a 4-2-5 variation his first time around, and would be better going back to that again.
    Brent was 4-3..Mike was 4-2-5..That's were a lot of "debating" would go on between 2..Mike did play some 4-3 based on the opponent, down and distance, etc.
    Bazinga

vCash

So doing some film study with one of the Dolphins scouts, and the words he used to describe Geneo Grissom were, "grossly misused as an edge pass rusher." Said he will be a lot better in the NFL than college.
    Bazinga

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

[QUOTE=8timechamps;4909129]That's how it started, but then he kept doing it...look no further than last Saturday. There is no reason we should ever have dropped 7 or 8 into coverage against a true freshman playing QB (and not the most mobile kid either). Again, it felt like the defensive scheme was to react to whatever OSU was doing, rather than forcing our will on the offense and forcing them to adjust and be uncomfortable.[/QUOTE

My observation is Mike has absolutely no faith in the ability of the linebackers or the secondary to cover receivers. How much of that is coaching failure and how much on the players, I don't know, but especially on deep balls--this problem goes back over a decade.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

I don't understand the "have confidence in" bit. I mean, when Bob and Mike first got here, they are working with an entire roster recruited by John Blake, i.e., mostly diamonds in the rough.

How can they have, within two seasons, had those guys hoisting the crystal ball, yet have no confidence in these blue chips they've been recruiting ever since?

Come on, man. The defensive line in 2000 was Ryan Fisher, Cory Heinecke, Barry Holleyman, Jeremy Wilson-Guest Kory Klein, and Ramon Richardson - four Blake holdovers, a true freshman, and a JUCO in a 4-3 defense. And, Wilson-Guest could barely walk due to back problems by the end of the season. These were not guy offered by every one. And, we shut down a bunch of teams.

"Have confidence in"? Come on.

That's what I'm talking about when I say maybe these coaches at OU are too comfortable.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 12/10/2014 at 03:22 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    grossly misused
    I bet you could use this with a lot of our NFL prospects. This is going to impact recruiting a lot this spring, isn't it

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

When your coach isn't comfortable with his players because his players aren't comfortable with their assignments then just yell at em! Mikey seems to have resigned himself to this.