Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Will the Big XII have a conference championship game in 2015?

I just don't think they should rush and get crappy teams just to have a CCG. And keep in mind that teams can play themselves out of it with the CCG game. See Bama, FSU, OSU and Oregon this week. Unfortunately for Baylor and TCU they all won. Heck they could have both made it in.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

No, one will not be added for 2015 and I do think the rules requiring 12 schools to have a CCG would be enforced and the other conferences would stick to that. BYU would be the only school that could be possibly added next season since they are independent but more than likely they couldn't before 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Given BYU's predilection of just how hot they are, I would have said CSU (before McElwain's departure) and maybe Air Force (every so often they get pretty good) but, there are some decent teams in the west. IMO, get someone quick, rejigger all the schedules and get a CCG in place. Baylor and TCU got dissed, (tOSU doing what they did to Wisky made a pretty strong case)...Free Shoes getting by on their rep adds to Baylor and TCU's beef....but, having regurgitated all that, the Big XII really has to get to 12! As long as we have co-champs, and that looks to be a long time, we'll continue to be outside looking in. Either that, or OU needs to get back where history dictates....jus' an ol' fart gettin' 'nother brew...Boomer!
    Air Force stated in the last round they had no interest in joining a big conference and would prefer to stay in a Mountain West type of league because they didn't feel they could be consistently competitive in a big conference. I think CSU even without McElwain would be a better pick up than Boise, they have good teams in other sports and seems to be an overall stronger program. The board of regents (or whatever they call them there) approved moving forward with the on campus stadium, all but one approved. There just aren't great options out there and at this point you're not pulling anyone out of the big conferences, the time for that was a few years ago when UT and OU decided to cut the pie into bigger slices. What is left? Cincy, Houston, LA Tech, UCF, USF. Just not great options.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

The Big 12 sucks. It much deserves this slap down by the playoff committee. A Big 12 team might have beaten out a 1 loss ACC team but that is it.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I don't want to take away from the therapeutic venting about the way our season turned out, but I found it incredibly crappy that TCU and/or Baylor got left out of the playoffs. What makes it even more ridiculous is that Ohio State got in, never mind that they play in the worst conference in the country or that they lost to Virginia Tech.

Baylor can only look at their own OOC scheduling to find out why they were left out. I think had they played a decent OOC, they'd be in. TCU on the other hand, just got screwed. I'm not sure they should have been in over Baylor, but the fact that the committee had them ranked #3 last week, and dropped them to #6 this week is just moronic.

In the end, the Big XII got hosed. I think the committee sent a message that if you don't play a conference championship game you better go undefeated, otherwise you're not getting in...

So, did Bowlsby hear the message? I don't think for a minute that the NCAA would make us add 2 teams to have a CCG. All the Big XII needs to do is form 2 divisions, and play a CCG.

Will it happen next year?
    We should not even be in the same conference with Baylor and TCU. That our collective braintrust has allowed us to be aligned with C-USA-type schools tells you everything you need to know about where the future lies if we do not find the escape hatch...and soon.

As much as I hated the idea of going to the Pac-12 in 2011, I would now welcome it. We pooh-poohed going to the tougher conference, the SEC, and are shut out there. ACC has already scooped up Notre Dame, so there no inviting them, or joining them in the already crowded ACC. Therefore, I'd be begging the Pac-12 to take us at this point.

My fear is, we will settle for staying in the Big 12 and inviting more crap in: Boise State, BYU, or both. Worse, we could possibly really get the nightmare of inviting AAC schools like Houston or Cincinnati in. I know it sounds stupid, but...you seriously have to look at the history of the lame-brained moves that have landed us as Southwest Conference Lite over the past two decades.

Either way, those knuckleheads Boren and Castiglione have got to get over the idea of "having" to be in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma State. We played Texas for decades as an out of conference game; so, doing that again should not be an issue. And, we've already long ago let the Nebraska rivalry go, which was far bigger historically than this stupid "OU-OSU" garbage that we've accepted as an annual substitute.

At some point, Boren and Castiglione have got to wake up and do what's best for OU, not what's best for OU along with Texas and/or Oklahoma State. Texas is fine on its own. And, Oklahoma State is welcome to fend for itself. Texas A&M didn't dry up just because it separated from Texas. Oklahoma State, for all its millions given by T. Boone, still is what it is - Aggy. And, we should let Aggy fend for themselves.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 12/8/2014 at 10:10 AM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    We should not even be in the same conference with Baylor and TCU. That our collective braintrust has allowed us to be aligned with C-USA-type schools tells you everything you need to know about where the future lies if we do not find the escape hatch...and soon.

As much as I hated the idea of going to the Pac-12 in 2011, I would now welcome it. We pooh-poohed going to the tougher conference, the SEC, and are shut out there. I'd be begging the Pac-12 to take us at this point.

My fear is, we will settle for staying in the Big 12 and inviting more crap in: Boise State, BYU, or both. Worse, we could possibly really get the nightmare of inviting AAC schools like Houston or Cincinnati in. I know it sounds stupid, but...you seriously have to look at the history of the lame-brained moves that have landed us as Southwest Conference Lite over the past two decades.
    Exactly. Baylor and TCU derive significant benefit from being in the conference but do not add any value to the league brand. The entire proces of deciding to stay in the Big 12 was a political decision on Boren's and the board of regents' part and it will prove to be detrimental in the long run unless the Big 12 decides to voluntarily break up...something that I don't see ISU, KSU, Baylor, TT, OSU and TCU agreeing to. It's like being trapped in a marriage to an ugly girl that took place in Vegas while you were drunk.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The Big XII was penalized for having a Championship game, now it is penalized for NOT having one. People are not happy unless they have something to complain about.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Exactly. Baylor and TCU derive significant benefit from being in the conference but do not add any value to the league brand. The entire proces of deciding to stay in the Big 12 was a political decision on Boren's and the board of regents' part and it will prove to be detrimental in the long run unless the Big 12 decides to voluntarily break up...something that I don't see ISU, KSU, Baylor, TT, OSU and TCU agreeing to. It's like being trapped in a marriage to an ugly girl that took place in Vegas while you were drunk.
    Baylor and TCU are the two best football teams in our conference right now, so apparently this ugly girl is very smart and has a great personality.

You're a pig.

vCash

You are not understanding: the national perception of Baylor and TCU is what it is. Nothing can change that, okay?

It doesn't matter whether they are 11-1. When people look at the Big 12, they see Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech...and that Texas is 6-6 and OU is 8-4.

That isn't impressive. Believe what you want to believe to believe, but the national people do not think highly of Baylor and TCU...and, again, why we shouldn't have our cart tethered to theirs. Ever.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

You are not understanding: the national perception of Baylor and TCU is what it is. Nothing can change that, okay?

It doesn't matter whether they are 11-1. When people look at the Big 12, they see Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech...and that Texas is 6-6 and OU is 8-4.

That isn't impressive. Believe what you want to believe to believe, but the national people do not think highly of Baylor and TCU...and, again, why we shouldn't have our cart tethered to theirs. Ever.
    Perceptions change. It's not like Oregon has a long history of success.

If Baylor and TCU win impressively in their bowl games, that will change the national perception.

vCash

Baylor and TCU do not have Oregon's history of success, so it's a moot point. TCU had two losing seasons in a row before this year, and Baylor has only been in bowl games four times over the past two decades and only won twice.

It is what it is. But, whatever it is, we shouldn't be attached at the hip to it, that's for sure.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    FSU was undefeated. i don't know how you call that getting in by rep

tOSU got in because of their name and their fanbase.

and if KSU would have won, they also would have been co-champs. their other loss was to Auburn out of conference. this one true champion this was nonsense from the start. it has always been this way in round robin leagues as far as i know. tie breakers only worked for bowl berths, and this isn't really the same thing.
    My point about "rep" is that other teams that stumble along, win by a few points
    or not really put away who they're supposed would slide down the rankings. FSU
    didn't but should have, imo.....

Unless a team from this conference goes undefeated we will not get a team in without a championship game. Even if they use the head-to-head was the tiebreaker, as the should, that won't be enough. We need the national focus of a championship game to get a 1 loss team in.

vCash

Baylor and TCU do not have Oregon's history of success, so it's a moot point. TCU had two losing seasons in a row before this year, and Baylor has only been in bowl games four times over the past two decades and only won twice.

It is what it is. But, whatever it is, we shouldn't be attached at the hip to it, that's for sure.
    You missed my point. Oregon DOESN'T have a history of success. Chip Kelly made them "national powers" starting in 2009.

If Baylor continues with their current level of success for 2-3 more years, they'll be just as reputable as a team like Oregon. If they don't continue this success, then they won't be the team trying to get into the CFP, and it doesn't matter.

The same is true for TCU.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by IamBigRed View Post
    Unless a team from this conference goes undefeated we will not get a team in without a championship game. Even if they use the head-to-head was the tiebreaker, as the should, that won't be enough. We need the national focus of a championship game to get a 1 loss team in.
    This is pretty much the standard now.

Now that a precedent has been set, it's going to be much easier for the committee to keep out a 1 loss Big XII team going forward.

For all those saying we are in a crappy conference, I'm not really in agreement, however, it doesn't really matter either way because we're stuck in this conference...at least for the foreseeable future. That ship sailed, and now we have to get things corrected so that we have a shot while we're in this conference.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You missed my point. Oregon DOESN'T have a history of success. Chip Kelly made them "national powers" starting in 2009.

If Baylor continues with their current level of success for 2-3 more years, they'll be just as reputable as a team like Oregon. If they don't continue this success, then they won't be the team trying to get into the CFP, and it doesn't matter.

The same is true for TCU.
    How old are you? Oregon has been to 18 bowl games over that past 21 seasons: three Rose Bowls, two Fiesta Bowls, and a national title game. Mark Helfrich is the third coach to take them to BCS/Major Bowl games. The third coach in a row.

Mike Bellotti built Oregon, not Chip Kelly. Chip Kelly inherited what Bellotti began and kept it going. I mean, Bellotti's run alone encompassed five Baylor coaches - Chuck Reedy, Dave Roberts, Kevin "We Don't Kneel" Steele, Guy Morriss, and year one under Briles.

There is no comparison at any level between the Oregon and Baylor programs other than they both have human beings of the male sex on their rosters. Oregon is so far out in front of where Baylor is, it isn't even close.

Baylor was still crapping its grandpa diapers in the Southwest Conference when Bellotti took Oregon to the Rose Bowl.

vCash

Oregon has been good for a while, but they were screwed back in 2001 when they were denied a shot at Miami. That may very well have been due to them not being a "traditional power". Instead, Nebraska, who gave up 60+ points and about a million yards on the ground to one-dimensional CU, had the honor of being killed by Miami.

vCash

I'm not a big fan of expanding just as a reaction to getting screwed out of a playoff spot. It was kind of a perfect storm this year, with FSU going unscathed but struggling, OSU putting a beatdown on Wiscy, an inept conference commissioner, and the lack of a name school representing the Big XII.

If, however, they were to expand to 8 teams in the next few years, a CCG for a few years might not be a bad thing. Choosing to water down the conference by adding Cinci or Memphis would be unwise and rash, to say the least.

vCash

I'm not a big fan of expanding because there is no one available that can make the conference better. That's why we need to bail on it. It has become the old Big East...but, with only one real basketball power.

Administrator
    vCash

Here's what Bowlsby had to say on today's conference call:

In a phone interview on the College Football Playoff Selection Show, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN's Rece Davis: "It's clear that we were penalized for not having a postseason championship game. It would have been nice to have been told that ahead of time."

First, I think that the issue was raised when the playoffs were first announced, so his excuse falls on deaf ears. Secondly, it sounds like he's resigned to the fact that we need a CCG.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Baylor and TCU are the two best football teams in our conference right now, so apparently this ugly girl is very smart and has a great personality.

You're a pig.
    Did I hurt you're feminine sensabilities? LOL. I assume you were trying to be funny but didn't see any smilies.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 12/8/2014 at 03:28 PM.