Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Re: What went wrong this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    That's all a matter of definition as coaching is as integral to a team as is the talent of the players. By that definition, the team was exactly as good (or bad) as it appeared to be. It certainly was a better team when Shepard was healthy, but all the other problems were there. The slide after Shepard went down (and then TK) was exaggerated because the team threw in the towel at that point. Fans want them to fight to the bitter end, but the fact is that all the preseason goals were gone after the 2nd loss and it showed in the effort. It takes a really inspirational coach to get a team to go 100% in that situation and Stoops isn't that type.
    I don't think they threw in the towel, I just think the guys behind them don't belong at OU. It is one of my biggest issues with Bob Stoops tenure - that he allowed our recruiting to go from getting lots of good college players that can contribute to trying to hit an NFL first rounder on every guy. Historically, OU has always been a team where our top guy may not be as good as the other team's top guy, but our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th guys are a LOT better than their 2nd, 3rd, 4th guys. As it stands now, when our top guy goes down we become a middling team. And for the recruiting guys, I'm not talking about stars here, I'm talking about stop reaching for every guy with character flaws that is uber athletic and get the guys who can play football.

As I said earlier in the year, this was a team of mismatched parts. Taking the Best Player Available doesn't necessarily make you the Best Team Available.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU_Sooners75 View Post
    I know this is a long *** delay, but I had to take a break from the boards.

OU was not over-hyped. They didn't meet expectations set upon them by their fans and the media.

If there were no such thing as preseason top 25's, if the first rankings didn't come out until Mid October, OU would not have been #4 at any part.

IMO, if OU had a real OC last year that did not sh!t the bed every time the going got tough, then OU would have been in the playoffs. Our offense lost use 3 of the 5 games.

And frankly, I am glad the season turned out like it did. If it would have turned out with 1 loss and a playoff birth, then we would have to endure another season of Josh Heupel and Jay Norvell as Co-OC.

I am still waiting for Kish and Mike to go!
    Well, when you're projected to be a top 5 team by nearly every prognosticator, and your fans and the rest of the media expect that kind of team, then you're over-hyped. That's pretty much the definition of over-hyped.

OU was not a top 5 team last year. Never should have been ranked that high. The reason (hype) came from the end of the 2013 season, and the Sugar Bowl win. The media did what they always do, and as fans, we were all too willing to jump on that train.

We did not have the talent/coaching/scheme (whatever you want to point at) to be ranked a top 5 team. Most fans (me included) and members of the media didn't really account for what we were losing after the 2013 season. Nor did many expect Knight to be as inconsistent as he was. It just didn't play out.

I'm glad the shake up happened, and it's obvious that it was needed. I don't think Heupel was nearly as bad as many believe, but he had been given more than enough time to show he was elite...and he wasn't (at least not yet). Norvell was a good recruiter, and a solid coach, but it was also time to clean out the garage.

The more I see what Kish is doing (primarily on the recruiting trail), the less I think he's an issue. Unfortunately, Mike Stoops looked like a deer caught in the headlights last year. If he hasn't taken a step back and realized he was a big part of the issues on defense, and adjust accordingly, it's going to be another long year.

One thing is clear, Bob has tied himself to Mike's wagon. He must think there's enough there (with Mike) to correct course, because if things continue like they did last year, it's going to be really hard for Bob.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by champions77 View Post
    We definitely were "full our ourselves" last year. So one would expect that this year we will have a better attitude after last year's humbling experience. Would have like to see a couple more defensive coaches shown the door. I think most everyone here knows who I am referring to.
    Have to have better QB play, which we will get, just not sure how much better. I like the play caller much better. Should get into the 4th QTR this year with time outs remaining, which will be the first since 2010. Receivers WILL be better. Offensive line will not be as good, but can be adequate.
    Defensively, will play Striker where he will help the most after the silly nickel back experiment last year. Secondary WILL be better ( I know that is not saying much) Linebackers WILL be better with Frank Shannon returning. Defensive front can be very good with Tapper, Charles Walker, Jordan Wade, Matt Dimon and Matt Romar all with experience returning.
    Lots of "toss up" games next year with Tennessee, Texas, KState and OSU. Will be underdogs against TCU and Baylor. Those six games will decide the fate of the 2015 Sooners. Will end up somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3 in the regular season.
    Boomer Sooner!!
    I agree completely with what you said except for the last part (the 'toss up' games).

Tennessee will be a tough game. On the road, early in the season. However, there's still too much of a gap between us and them. If we would have had a better showing with the offense in last years game, it wouldn't have even been as close as it was (and it wasn't really close). I'm hopeful that the offense will be much better (read: consistent). I can still agree it's a "toss up", just because it's early and on the road.

Texas is always a toss up.

Kansas State shouldn't be close. We play them so much better in Manhattan, and their offense is a dumpster fire. No QB (and the guy they thought they had tore his ACL in the spring), no Lockett, no outstanding talent. They've always had to fight for every yard, but have managed to do so with above average QB play, a deep threat (Lockett) and solid fundamentals. 2 of those 3 are gone. KSU will struggle to win 6 games next year.

Oklahoma State could be a toss up, but I'm not buying the hype. They're getting the hype coming into this season for the same reason we got it going into last season, a big win at the end of the year. They shouldn't have won in Norman, but they did. Had they lost that game, I doubt anyone is picking them to win the conference. I just don't see how they are going to go from very average to top of the conference. It could happen, but I don't see it.

I think we'll be favored against TCU. Last year's game could have gone either way, and this year's is in Norman. Assuming we don't start the season looking awful (and I don't think we will), I suspect we'll be a favorite by a couple of points. I also think we win that game.

I think we'll finish with 9-3/10-2 (leaning more toward the 10-2). Like you said, there appears to be an upgrade everywhere you look, so I don't see how we end up worse than last year. I'm also banking on Stoops ability to follow up a disappointing season with a good one.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Yes, but the BU game was already lost when TK got hurt. The other 3 teams were bottom feeders that we could win as long as Perine was healthy and the QB could hand off. We could have been 100% healthy for Clemson and the result would have been similar. We need improvement across the board.
    Thank you.

People fantasizing that Trevor Knight will ever amount to anything are going to have to someday admit to themselves that the Alabama bowl game was a mirage, more a product of Bama not giving a crap.

Shoddy line recruiting and coaching on both sides of the ball likely shows up this year and next. And, so, we have a new head coach in 2017. Until then, many more sideline shots of the confused/meerkat Bob Stoops that we've become accustomed to seeing.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Oklahoma State could be a toss up, but I'm not buying the hype. They're getting the hype coming into this season for the same reason we got it going into last season, a big win at the end of the year. They shouldn't have won in Norman, but they did. Had they lost that game, I doubt anyone is picking them to win the conference. I just don't see how they are going to go from very average to top of the conference. It could happen, but I don't see it.
    This. They did the exact same thing we did to close out 2013, only we did it against really good teams. They did it against a bad OU team and Washington. I can't believe that after watching what happened to OU just last year, the media types around here are so ready to pronounce them cured of all the problems they had last year.

That being said, playing them in Stillwater is always tough, no matter how good the two teams are. OU hasn't gone in there and took care of business in 25 years.
    La ola es mía.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Thank you.

People fantasizing that Trevor Knight will ever amount to anything are going to have to someday admit to themselves that the Alabama bowl game was a mirage, more a product of Bama not giving a crap.

Shoddy line recruiting and coaching on both sides of the ball likely shows up this year and next. And, so, we have a new head coach in 2017. Until then, many more sideline shots of the confused/meerkat Bob Stoops that we've become accustomed to seeing.
    I have no idea where you are coming up with this stuff. The shoddy line recruiting occurred when Kittle was in Norman. Both lines have been significantly upgraded from the recruiting perspective. Everything else you said I agree with.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I have no idea where you are coming up with this stuff. The shoddy line recruiting occurred when Kittle was in Norman. Both lines have been significantly upgraded from the recruiting perspective. Everything else you said I agree with.
    He's quoting the famous football professor, Dr. Otto Yerass.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    I don't think they threw in the towel...
    Certainly a subjective statement. I didn't mean they were dogging it on gameday as most D1 athletes are going to give high effort during games. I meant they didn't look like a team that had given full effort or focus during preparation. So if you believe that old adage about preparation being 90% of success, then OUr guys didn't looked prepared after the KSU loss. Except the ISU game, I guess. Against the two good teams they faced post KSU, they lost by 34 points.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

1) Not a decent QB on the roster
    2) Julian Wilson was awful
    3) Penalties, Penalties, Penalties
    4) Awful special teams
    5) Coaches didn't reach the players

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Shoddy? His hit rate was the same as every other OL coach that has been at OU - 50%. You are going to net 4 starters out of the 7 guys he brought in (tyrus thompson, farniok, kasitati, darlington) - 5 out of 8 if you count Sam Grant. The biggest issue is 6-7 guys in 2 years.

in 2011, we only had 17 schollies to give out. How many OL were we supposed to recruit? Not only that, the OL/DL were the only positions where we got any production of out of that wasted recruiting class -> https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/fo...mmitments/2011

in 2012, we had 25 to give out, but we had to take 3 Running Backs, 4 TEs (one ended up an OL) and 6 WRs. 15 split between OL and the entire defense?

Recruiting OL isn't like recruiting any other position on the field. If you find me an OL coach who can constantly keep a stockpile of 6 RS JR/SRs on the roster with 9 guys waiting in the wings you will constantly have good OLs no matter how many of those guys get drafted.

Do I think that Kittle should have been at OU? No. Do I think he gets a bad wrap for his time here? Yes. Do I think he should have been fired? Yes. That whole John Michael McGee incident proved that he didn't do as much research as he should have into a recruit. Do I think our OL is any better than if he would have stayed? Nope. Bedenbaugh is taking the shotgun approach to OL recruiting and that inevitably degrades the quality of your skill positions.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Shoddy? His hit rate was the same as every other OL coach that has been at OU - 50%. You are going to net 4 starters out of the 7 guys he brought in (tyrus thompson, farniok, kasitati, darlington) - 5 out of 8 if you count Sam Grant. The biggest issue is 6-7 guys in 2 years.

in 2011, we only had 17 schollies to give out. How many OL were we supposed to recruit? Not only that, the OL/DL were the only positions where we got any production of out of that wasted recruiting class -> https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/fo...mmitments/2011

in 2012, we had 25 to give out, but we had to take 3 Running Backs, 4 TEs (one ended up an OL) and 6 WRs. 15 split between OL and the entire defense?

Recruiting OL isn't like recruiting any other position on the field. If you find me an OL coach who can constantly keep a stockpile of 6 RS JR/SRs on the roster with 9 guys waiting in the wings you will constantly have good OLs no matter how many of those guys get drafted.

Do I think that Kittle should have been at OU? No. Do I think he gets a bad wrap for his time here? Yes. Do I think he should have been fired? Yes. That whole John Michael McGee incident proved that he didn't do as much research as he should have into a recruit. Do I think our OL is any better than if he would have stayed? Nope. Bedenbaugh is taking the shotgun approach to OL recruiting and that inevitably degrades the quality of your skill positions.
    At least you've identified an approach that the lad might have. I was thinking more along the lines of shot in the dark; but, shotgun probably describes is just as accurately.

My prediction is that the new coach in 2016/2017 will be public about needing to greatly upgrade the line talent on both sides of the ball.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987