Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long?

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

How Long?

Don't want this to sound like I don't like OU, but how long will the powers that be let Stoops and Co. have 10-2, 9-3, and 8-4 seasons? Sure most schools would be happy with those results, but OU is not other schools. I always hear the same tired argument, "BUT BUT BUT who else are we gonna get????, and DUDE he has the most wins in OU history!" Well those arguments don't hold much weight after awhile. Something has got to give, it seems to me from my point of view that OU at this time is nothing better than an average team. Maybe the answer is new coaching blood? I dunno?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: How Long?

....he only has the most wins because the season has more games and he has coached longer, the measuring stick is still Championships and that one is growing dimmer and dimmer

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

9"

Oh wait, what was the question?

vCash

Well, we won 11 games the year before, so this is one year in a row of having only 8, 9, or 10 wins. I'd say if he has 3 losses or more for the next 2 years, let him go.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Next season we have a tougher schedule. This season sucked but we will have to see a lot of improvement from now til then to avoid 3-4 losses next season.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Every swinging person in the media I have seen says tcu and baylor has passed us. Why are we the only ones who see this? "Big game's" throne needs a fire under, in more ways than one.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Well, we won 11 games the year before, so this is one year in a row of having only 8, 9, or 10 wins. I'd say if he has 3 losses or more for the next 2 years, let him go.
    But this isn't a year where we expected to have 4 losses like it was in 2005 or 1999. That's the big difference.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    This year has sucked, but we are spoiled babies. 3 of our losses are within a few points.

Our kicker has short circuited. Who saw that coming? We have lost out on excellent players for off the field issues. Key scorers have had injuries. Critical stuff.

I'm not the biggest fan of our OC. The beat downs from Baylor are sickening and need to be figured out. I'm not calling for Stoops' head for the losses that occurred. We need consistanly.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    But this isn't a year where we expected to have 4 losses like it was in 2005 or 1999. That's the big difference.
    It's almost exactly like 2009, though.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    Don't want this to sound like I don't like OU, but how long will the powers that be let Stoops and Co. have 10-2, 9-3, and 8-4 seasons? Sure most schools would be happy with those results, but OU is not other schools. I always hear the same tired argument, "BUT BUT BUT who else are we gonna get????, and DUDE he has the most wins in OU history!" Well those arguments don't hold much weight after awhile. Something has got to give, it seems to me from my point of view that OU at this time is nothing better than an average team. Maybe the answer is new coaching blood? I dunno?
    It will be a slow, long Texas-, Virginia Tech-like decline because too many people hang on to 2000. Texas' situation ultimately cost three people their jobs - the school's president, the athletic director, and the head coach. And, the athletic director had less than three years prior scored a coup by getting a 20 year, $300 million contract for a network out of ESPN.

It's like a big corporation - which is fitting, because collegiate sports has become more corporate than competition-based - so change will take a long time.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    It will be a slow, long Texas-, Virginia Tech-like decline because too many people hang on to 2000. Texas' situation ultimately cost three people their jobs - the school's president, the athletic director, and the head coach. And, the athletic director had less than three years prior scored a coup by getting a 20 year, $300 million contract for a network out of ESPN.

It's like a big corporation - which is fitting, because collegiate sports has become more corporate than competition-based - so change will take a long time.

exactly

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    exactly
    VT was clearly better from 2001-2011 than 1991-1998.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

Three of the losses were by a total of 8 points. Should we have lost those games? No! But, in two of them, a pick six was a contributor and, the third, a punt return that never should have been rekicked was. We could have just as easily been 11-1 without those mental mistakes. I don't think there's a better coach than Bob that is available to go after. However, as much as I like Josh as a person, he needs to be replaced as OC and Mike needs to go as DC.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

I hope we are not in for the slow death. 2000 - 2014 is a long dry spell. I hope the powers that be get it fixed in a hurry. It is sad to watch. I would like to see OU at the top with 5 star recruits coming out of Stoops ears. But, with our showing this year I dunno.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    I hope we are not in for the slow death. 2000 - 2014 is a long dry spell. I hope the powers that be get it fixed in a hurry. It is sad to watch. I would like to see OU at the top with 5 star recruits coming out of Stoops ears. But, with our showing this year I dunno.
    2000-2014 is over stating the spell. Yes, it's been that long since a title, but that's something you can never guarantee. With good recruiting and coaching, you can guarantee an elite team that is in the mix and the last time we had that was '08. Still a pretty long spell though.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    2000-2014 is over stating the spell. Yes, it's been that long since a title, but that's something you can never guarantee. With good recruiting and coaching, you can guarantee an elite team that is in the mix and the last time we had that was '08. Still a pretty long spell though.
    Yep, way too long for a heritage program like OU that pays Stoops a commensurate salary.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Golfer View Post
    Three of the losses were by a total of 8 points. Should we have lost those games? No! But, in two of them, a pick six was a contributor and, the third, a punt return that never should have been rekicked was. We could have just as easily been 11-1 without those mental mistakes. I don't think there's a better coach than Bob that is available to go after. However, as much as I like Josh as a person, he needs to be replaced as OC and Mike needs to go as DC.
    ....I'm so glad we aren't 11-1....I was already in the stands in South Florida for the USC debacle

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ....I'm so glad we aren't 11-1....I was already in the stands in South Florida for the USC debacle

ss

That game may have been completely different if Dvoracek had been available...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Yep, way too long for a heritage program like OU that pays Stoops a commensurate salary.
    Too bad Bob doesn't have a profile on here!

Then you could send him threatening PMs about how you're going to beat him up! I'm sure it would have about as much of an effect on him as it did me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    9"

Oh wait, what was the question?
    Heh, In your wildest dreams.......everyone else
    ignored you!