Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Not division 1 quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by UteSooner View Post
    OK but I think you might have introduced hyperbole when you said that Shaq couldn't hit a free throw. He clearly averaged around 50% his entire career

1. Yes, I do remember a long pass to Bell? My point is that I don't expect completions on passing downs.
    2. I was under the impression that he was able to attend spring practice. If he had to miss it, then they shouldn't allow him to play both sports. Especially as a QB.
    3. Probably pretty hard. I know I could never do it.

What is your position? That we are getting all we can expect and that the coaches and players are performing at the highest possible level given their age/experience? You seem unhappy with my defense of the players and my blaming the coaching/development. I'll admit my posts can have a tone that might rub some the wrong way and invite argument for argument's sake.
    My stance:

1. Norvell can't evaluate high school receivers. He can however entice transfers here so he's basically an Eddie Sutton of recruiters. Net-Net is we need someone who can evaluate guys for route running.
    2. QB progression is at a standstill since Heupel became OC. This is fairly common in college football though, so I think as a head coach, you always have a dedicated quarterback coach.
    3. Heupel and Norvell seem to have eminent faith in their ability to correct mistakes - mistakes that you just can't fix in a season like route running.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    My stance:

1. Norvell can't evaluate high school receivers. He can however entice transfers here so he's basically an Eddie Sutton of recruiters. Net-Net is we need someone who can evaluate guys for route running.
    2. QB progression is at a standstill since Heupel became OC. This is fairly common in college football though, so I think as a head coach, you always have a dedicated quarterback coach.
    3. Heupel and Norvell seem to have eminent faith in their ability to correct mistakes - mistakes that you just can't fix in a season like route running.
    Can't argue with that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

My stance:

Add to that the fact that Stoops pretty much leaves them alone, and we've got that going for us as well.

We used to believe that was a plus. Now, with the defense in shambles, it's as though whatever attention or inattention he gives to either unit produces mediocrity...for $5.5 million a season for him and assistants that are
    paid higher than the head coaches of G5s.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Add to that the fact that Stoops pretty much leaves them alone, and we've got that going for us as well.

We used to believe that was a plus. Now, with the defense in shambles, it's as though whatever attention or inattention he gives to either unit produces mediocrity...for $5.5 million a season for him and assistants that are
    paid higher than the head coaches of G5s.
    Do you post on LT? I don't but that group seems to suit you in that they're obsessed with killing the coaches because of their salaries in every single thread.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

My stance:

That may be the case, but the guy can go down any rivals, scout, or ESPN list of WRs and pretty much pick whoever he wants. I've felt the issues lied more in their development here, or even moreso, their ability to stay here. He's brought in guys like McCay, Metoyer, and Woods that just didn't stick around. If he misevaluated those guys, then just about everybody else did, too. I think Gardner would have been a stud as well. Guys like Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders have been great for us, but Norvell has also brought in guys like Shepard and Stills. I'd guess that Quick will be another stud as well. I think WR and RB are the two positions we don't need to worry about lacking in talent for. This was a bit of a down year at WR, but we'll be in great shape next year.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Okay, so why is it nearly every program can go at least two deep on the roster and still put a guy out on the field who can complete a pass and do a decent job running the offense, and OU doesn't even have 1, much less 2? How can you play division I football without a guy who can complete a forward pass? Josh, not only are you an incompetent OC, but you're a pathetic QB coach as well!
    Last edited by beached_sooner; 12/30/2014 at 03:49 PM.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Any of you guys wanna step forward this morning and say you still believe Knight can become a serviceable QB?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    That may be the case, but the guy can go down any rivals, scout, or ESPN list of WRs and pretty much pick whoever he wants. I've felt the issues lied more in their development here, or even moreso, their ability to stay here. He's brought in guys like McCay, Metoyer, and Woods that just didn't stick around. If he misevaluated those guys, then just about everybody else did, too. I think Gardner would have been a stud as well. Guys like Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders have been great for us, but Norvell has also brought in guys like Shepard and Stills. I'd guess that Quick will be another stud as well. I think WR and RB are the two positions we don't need to worry about lacking in talent for. This was a bit of a down year at WR, but we'll be in great shape next year.
    You're more optimistic than I am. Broyles and Shepard have been the high points at WR for the last several years. We lucked out getting Brown and Saunders via transfers. Our problems at WR development are, in my estimation, coinciding with our problems at QB development. I saw nothing this year that gives me hope in our WR corps next year. Nothing at all. Granted, TK sees the field about as well as my grandmother, but the guys not named Shepard weren't exactly running open all over the field.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

I think Blake Mayfield may be our QB for the next couple of years.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by beached_sooner View Post
    Any of you guys wanna step forward this morning and say you still believe Knight can become a serviceable QB?
    After the Bama game last year, absolutely. After this season and what may be the worst performance I've ever seen by an OU QB last night, no way. He has regressed, just like Landry did. The problem is Landry didn't stop improving until the end of his sophomore year. I fear TK will be eternally stuck in freshman mode.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Golfer View Post
    I think Blake Mayfield may be our QB for the next couple of years.
    Baker Mayfield, but yes. How is the Hansen kid?

vCash

Yes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Baker Mayfield, but yes. How is the Hansen kid?
    Thank you. I had Blake Bell on my mind wondering if this was his last football game ever.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

If Baker Mayfield is the QB of the future, then get ready for more seasons like this one.
    Bazinga

vCash

Serviceable? He was serviceable for much of this season, and does have an 11-4 record as a starter, so I guess that make him serviceable. His injury problems will likely do him in as much as anything. That and throwing interceptions. I wonder what the record is for throwing pick sixes in a season in major college ball? Surely he's got to be close to that...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Serviceable? He was serviceable for much of this season, and does have an 11-4 record as a starter, so I guess that make him serviceable. His injury problems will likely do him in as much as anything. That and throwing interceptions. I wonder what the record is for throwing pick sixes in a season in major college ball? Surely he's got to be close to that...
    Exactly. He's already serviceable. The question is, is he championship quality? That's tough to say, but a new OC and throwing to DGB and Shep next year would do wonders for him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    If Baker Mayfield is the QB of the future, then get ready for more seasons like this one.
    Well, Mayfield is 7-0 as a starter. His former team is 5-13 without him. In the spring game, he was the only QB with any success. He was 9-9 with 2 TDs. I like our chances with him.
    Last edited by Texas Golfer; 12/30/2014 at 04:43 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Exactly. He's already serviceable. The question is, is he championship quality? That's tough to say, but a new OC and throwing to DGB and Shep next year would do wonders for him.
    I think DGB will be declaring for the draft.

vCash

I think DGB will be declaring for the draft.
    I dunno. I dunno a lot of things. Program is very much in a state of flux right now. It wasn't just the players last night that were acting like they didn't care. Couple of the coaches may already suspect they're very much in the need of polishing resumés.

My guess is Gundy, Norvell, Bedenbaugh stay, with Heupel demoted to QB coach only. Either Norvell will get promoted to OC and a new WRs coach brought in (which I think would be good), or he may be gone too.

On D, Montgomery. The rest of the D coaches...probably gone. I wasn't a fan of bringing back Mike Stoops. I saw a fair amount of his Arizona teams living out here on the West Coast and they were....not so good. And the guy is an embarrassment to the program, really, sad to say. Venables has his shortcomings, as do all coaches, but it was pretty clear he had the better D last night...at least the passing D.

I have no idea who to bring in.

Boulware to keep doing TEs and Special Teams is okay. Give the guy another year.

vCash

Well, Mayfield is 7-0 as a starter. His former team is 4-13 without him. In the spring game, he was the only QB with any success. He was 9-9 with 2 TDs. I like our chances with him.
    7-0? I'm not sure about your math.