Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Not division 1 quarterbacks

With a program as big as OU why is it so hard to get a good division 1 quarterback? Not one of the quarterbacks we have should be starting in this program, they are obviously average at best. Who is scouting these guys?...well they need to be fired!

Our team reminds me of my old electric football game. They just buzz around in circles while everyone runs by them OR it is the same old offense...example: AD up the middle, ok now lets run AD up the middle...hmm 3rd down..lets run AD up the middle....same crap as when AD was here.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Not division 1 quarterbacks

These kids have talent. It's the schemes and development that suck.

Administrator
    vCash
    Great QBs are not easy to come by. We were spoiled for a long time. For the first time in Stoops tenure, we don't have a guy that can challenge defenses on a consistent basis.

Knight can be effective, but not on the sideline injured. After that we have a young, undeveloped talent. How we got into this situation is the real question.

Thomas may end up being an all-American, but right now he's a freshman QB that struggles making a medium to long range pass.

There's a lot that needs to be addressed this off-season.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

IMHO, not having QB "material" is not the issue. I don't personally think Trevor will ever be back. Like David Ash from Texas, I would not want to risk crippling a kid for life - just not worth it. Instead of worrying about QBs, which we are pretty well stocked with, I would like to see some defensive players that are Rocky Calmus, Torrance Marshall, Teddy Lehman clones. I don't think we have those waiting in the wings.
    Last edited by Piware; 12/7/2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Knight is definitely D1 talent, but I don't think he will ever be better than average. (I'll be silly here and wait for the medical decision before I claim he's done for good). College football competition has risen to a level that it's highly unlikely for a team to win a championship with an average QB. Heck, it's unlikely to even win the big12 with an average QB even with a great defense and running game. OU must be a place that QBs want to go and a great place for a QB to develop in order for us to be in the national hunt in Nov.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....nail meet hammer

....it's the players....we don't have them

....for a long time I've griped about no-balls, no swagger, conservative play, lack of creativity....well, basically, we don't have the personnel that fosters these things and that all falls on a lax, comfortable, sedentary head coach who has forgotten what it's like to bring the fire and the wood on the way up the ladder....we have a CEO that practices nepotism and throws us a gratuitous fake punt once or twice a season to pretend that he is still engaged in the game....disgusting

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

These guys were all very good in HS(including Bell). They all have seemed to forget how to throw an accurate ball between HS graduation and seeing the field in college. Not sure what that is but I can't imagine that it's just a sudden loss of all the talent that they had before.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

vCash

Rudolph wasn't rated as good as Hansen, so there's that.

Of course, Thomas was rated about the same in his class as Hansen, so there's also that.

But then again, Landry sucked as a rsFR as well, so you also have that.

In the end, I think we hit bad spell right after Landry. Allen wasn't very good, Archie went MLB, Bell never lived up to expectations, and Thompson didn't have his head on straight. I'd like to think that we turned things around at least with Hansen (if not Knight or Thomas). Who knows, though. I think Heupel has gotten better from a playcalling standpoint, but I think we might need a new guy developing our QBs. We've got D1 quarterbacks right now, though.

vCash

There is the rating services and then there is the truth of what a hard working coaching staff sees combined with the ability to hone that talent. I'm sure all our QBs will have stars by their names. But just watching how prepared Rudolph was vs. how prepared Thomas was yesterday revealed a significant gap. And Thomas has a year's head start in our program.

vCash

Cody Thomas had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, MSU, Notre Dame, OSU, USC, and many others. That's about as good as it gets, so it's clearly not just a recruiting service thing. I'm not giving up on him based off of a couple of games he wasn't expecting to play in, and with an awful group of receivers to boot. I'm also not going to proclaim Rudolph a legend based off a couple of decent games.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Cody Thomas had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, MSU, Notre Dame, OSU, USC, and many others. That's about as good as it gets, so it's clearly not just a recruiting service thing. I'm not giving up on him based off of a couple of games he wasn't expecting to play in, and with an awful group of receivers to boot. I'm also not going to proclaim Rudolph a legend based off a couple of decent games.
    I'm not giving up on Thomas either and I'm not surprised by his offers. But he clearly wasn't ready to play and he should be. He has been the official backup since the first game. Rudolph was tagged to be a redshirt until 2 games ago so he's probably been running scout team. It could be Cody will be a bust and all those other teams and the recruiting services were wrong. It happens frequently. Or it could be our QB coach is not teaching effectively or putting in the required effort. I'm also not saying Rudolph will be all conference - I'm just stating he was well prepared to step in and play, both against Baylor and OU.

Thomas was showing signs though of the landry chatter. When the pocket started closing them feet started chattering and his legs just collapsed below him instead of taking off and running and take a sack. All good QB`S know when to bail not just fall to the ground and loose yardage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I'm not giving up on Thomas either and I'm not surprised by his offers. But he clearly wasn't ready to play and he should be. He has been the official backup since the first game. Rudolph was tagged to be a redshirt until 2 games ago so he's probably been running scout team. It could be Cody will be a bust and all those other teams and the recruiting services were wrong. It happens frequently. Or it could be our QB coach is not teaching effectively or putting in the required effort. I'm also not saying Rudolph will be all conference - I'm just stating he was well prepared to step in and play, both against Baylor and OU.
    May main point in mentioning recruiting rankings/offers was that these guys are talented enough to do big things. They just have to be developed. They're D1 quarterbacks.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by UteSooner View Post
    These kids have talent. It's the schemes and development that suck.
    It's this. Plus we don't have any semblance of an offensive identity, so we don't know whether we want kids who can run to run, or if we should make throwers out of them.

That and our WR corps is awful.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yes, our receivers sucked after Shepard went down. In fact it is startling at how little talent OU has at that position.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    True. But we'll be LOADED next year.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....the common denominator in this and many other threads is preparation....preparation requires commitment

....this game and season was decided before the Saturday results, we have just witnessed the results of our level of commitment....no more hiding behind the excuse of poor execution

....Jimbo Elrod is correct, this staff needs change and a rededication to the program

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    It's this. Plus we don't have any semblance of an offensive identity, so we don't know whether we want kids who can run to run, or if we should make throwers out of them.

Regardless of identity, OU QBs are expected to be able to drop back, go through a progression and make an accurate throw on some large percentage of throwing downs. CT looked ill prepared to do that. Heck, KT looked ill prepared at times too. We should never have a starting QB at OU who is not a thrower.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Yes, our receivers sucked after Shepard went down. In fact it is startling at how little talent OU has at that position.
    It's the consequence of Gardner's grades, Metoyer's perversion, and Woods' whatever happened. Norvell has been great about keeping that position loaded, though, so this was just a fluke.

Next year we could have Shepard and DGB. I'm not expecting both, but we'll have at least one I would bet.

Last year's recruiting class had about 9 studs (Perine, Quick, and Parker were the three we got to see this year), and no positions were better represented than RB (Mixon and Perine) and WR (Quick, Todd, and Andrews).

We'll also have the JUCO, and guys like Neal are still available. I don't expect Neal to be a great one, but we'll be in pretty good shape if he's our 4th option.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    We don't necessarily lack talent at the position, it's just very young and inexperienced. We've been fortunate to have landed some guys in the past that could play as freshmen. We've also benefited from transfers/JUCO. This year, we had one guy that had extensive experience, and he got injured.

I believe Quick will be a very good receiver, and I think we have some other guys that will end up being good too. The problem this year is that nobody stepped up after Shep went down. Then again, we pretty much went run heavy after Shep got hurt.