Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The State of Oklahoma Football IM(Humble?)O

If you've ever spent any time on these boards before the last couple of years, you may recognize my nic. I had to stop posting on the boards a few years ago.

I got tired of the Stoops Apology Train. It's been more than 10 years now since he has won anything of significance. Has ANY CFB coach, ever, won championships more than 10 years apart...? Yes, some have. Sure.

• Switzer did it at 10 exactly. (75' to 85')
    • The Bear did it, too... ('65 to '78)
    • Woody Hayes. ('54 to '68)

That's it...

Three college football coaches have both 1) stayed with the same school for more than 10 years, and 2) won national championships, at that school, more than 10 years apart.

As good a coach as Bob Stoops is, (was?) an actual good, solid football team should not even possess the capacity to play so ineffectually against such inferior competition.

For me, these feelings started during the K-State Big 12 Championship Game in 2003. After getting waxed like that, I realized, "We've just been beating teams based on highly superior talent. What do we do when everybody else catches-up again?"

Now, 11 years later, I'm still asking that same ****in' question. Add this one to the mix...

"Why is it that, when we DO have a significant talent advantage over a team, as well as the home-field advantage, we are not still a guarantee to win the game, or even - ultimately - remain competitive?"

For OU to continue to maintain a competitive advantage over the other teams in the country, we need a coaching staff that is also competitive. Currently, we do not have one. The Head Coach has gotten fat (literally..) and complacent. He does not, in any way, fear for his job. He is not "coaching with his hair on fire." Therefore, his assistants follow suit. Was Venables the problem, or was it Bob's failure to hold him accountable...?

Ask Clemson.

I think Oklahoma football has gotten a little too lovey-dovey and a lot not enough accountable. Whatever happened to "no excuses?" If losing one player, no matter how skilled, blows-up our offense completely... then it wasn't a good offense.

Hopefully, we're going to start looking to fix that... now. Even before the bowl game, make changes. Show the fans, the team, that you're serious about fixing the issues that have been plaguing this football program for more than a decade now.

The occasional Alabama bowl win does NOT make up for the semi-annual occasion of an Oklahoma State loss. Stoops has now lost 25% of the game he's played against Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State, though, has only won 16% of their games against OU, historically. (84-18-7)

It's not bad enough that our teams aren't "getting up" for our rivalry games... our teams aren't "getting up" for any games! Where's the anger when someone blows an assignment; drops a pass; misses a tackle? Where's the accountability, on the field AND on the sidelines?

...'cause, for going on 11ish years now, it HASN'T been in Norman...

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Re: The State of Oklahoma Football IM(Humble?)O

Agree that the Stoops Apologists are infuriating. If there was any doubt that Stoops needs to move down the road, that doubt was dispelled yesterday. It's up to Castiglione and Boren to show leadership now.

I posted weeks ago, that the quickest way to get change may be to stop going to the games and quit buying the merchandise.

Hopefully many Sooner fans will stay away from the bowl game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Agree that the Stoops Apologists are infuriating. If there was any doubt that Stoops needs to move down the road, that doubt was dispelled yesterday. It's up to Castiglione and Boren to show leadership now.

I posted weeks ago, that the quickest way to get change may be to stop going to the games and quit buying the merchandise.

My left official logo OU slipper has come apart at the seams, oddly symbolic given this season. Replacement is now on hold until something changes with this staff. I figure they'll be begging me to purchase new ones by the end of next week. Let them eat cake....
    Last edited by dwarthog; 12/7/2014 at 03:20 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post

Based on your user name, I'll bet you have already dispensed with going to the games. Thanks for you suggestion for those of us who still do. By all means, lets do something to hurt the program - that will show 'em.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I was expecting better statistics of why we're doomed from you, skull. Not many coaches have won have won championships 10 years apart, but not many coaches have even had that opportunity. That statistic doesn't strike any fear in me. It's entirely possible for a coach to do well late in his career, and your statistic was so selective that it left out Tom Osborne. I feel that Bob is in about the situation Osborne was in 1992. I'm not saying Bob will have the 5 year run that Osborne followed with, but I am saying that it's been done. Those 80 year olds like Paterno and Bowden had no chance of ever turning it around, but Bob is about the same age as Osborne was back in 1992.

Also, I think your point about 2003 works against what you're saying. You felt then like you do now? We've been to two NC's since then, won several conference championships, and finished top 6 four times. Sure, we can definitely do better, and hopefully we do, but we've had many good years since then. The last few years have been the issue, though. There was no issue with the state of program from 2004-2010. We definitely have to work some things about, but this issue doesn't go back to 2003.

I'm also confused by your complaints about the OSU losses. Stoops has been incredible overall against them. His biggest issue against OSU was early on his tenure, and that's when you recognized him as a good coach. 25% vs 16% isn't scary at all when you consider how much OSU's program has progressed in recent years.

Bob has previously had 3 seasons with less than 10 wins. He's followed those three seasons up finishing #1, #11, and #6. He's never NOT bounced back from a season like this, so I don't see any reason to part ways now. I agree that some changes need to be made. If we're sitting here next year with 4 losses, and Bob didn't make any coaching changes, have an open QB competition, etc. then I'd start to consider parting ways. I'm highly doubt we'll be in this situation next year, though.

Like I said, our program is struggling right now. If these are the best points you can make, though, there's no need to make a change. Firing coaches doesn't always produce an immediate turnaround. Just ask Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, etc. I'm disappointed, but it's easy to call for a coach's head when things are at their lowest. Last year you came on here excited about how we were finally fighting for games. Maybe there will be a time for Stoops to go, but it's not now. We don't need to make a move like this out of frustration. I bet Nebraska is happy they didn't push Osborne out the door in '92 (or OU with Switzer in '83).

vCash

I just deleted my OU ringtone and I'm not downloading it again until we make the playoffs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I just deleted my OU ringtone and I'm not downloading it again until we make the playoffs.
    LOL! That will show 'em. I am going to pull out all the stops too. The OU garden gnome is toast!
    Last edited by Piware; 12/7/2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Additional remark
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    But what if nobody helps you?
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Piware View Post
    LOL! That will show 'em. I am going to pull out all the stops too. The OU garden gnome is toast!
    OK maybe we can get a movement going here. That OU wind spinner on my porch......outta there.

Administrator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    My left official logo OU slipper has come apart at the seams, oddly symbolic given this season. Replacement is now on hold until something changes with this staff. I figure they'll be begging me to purchase new ones by the end of next week. Let them eat cake....
    Best post I've seen in weeks...
    We are here to pistol whip, shoe whip, imprison and torture. We are Phil, Beano, Norm, Dean, David Earl a.k.a. Deacon plus a bunch of ruthless mods. GADOCADWI

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

We did have a lot of injuries to key players and no Frank Shannon, DGB, Mixon.

If it was a loaded year with this result I would definitely be calling for big change. 1 more year.

I've been pissed for years at our less than imaginative offense at times. This year I was livid at the defense. 30+ points should be enough to win any game in this conference, even with modern foosball forward passes.

Special teams gaffs cost us. Coaching decision(s) cost us.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

vCash

Along these sad tales, I, too, have to add that I've now burned up my 4th OU ballcap this year. Yes, at least the first one or two were heavily "worn" and faded, but the last two that have symbolically been turned to ashes were ones that might have even been purchased this year on my annual trip to Sooner Nation. Didn't think that I'd take this kind of hit....Another year, another long year....
    Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Not many coaches have won have won championships 10 years apart, but not many coaches have even had that opportunity.
    That's because when the teams start dropping turds at midfield, like Stoops' teams have done consistently for almost a decade, they are shown the door a lot sooner than ten years. Phil Fulmer says hi. He got exactly 10 years after his NC, but many fans wanted him gone as early as 2005.

Stoops needs to keep Bedenbaugh, Montgomery, Boulware, and Gundy. The rest need to go, especially little brother and the donut monster. If he is not willing to take those painful steps, then he does not deserve the $5 mil + that he's getting paid. For that kind of money, you have to make the tough decisions.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

As a Texas fan, we were in this same boat a couple of years ago. I recall many Sooner fans saying we'd be stupid to get rid of Mack. (Some of you were actually serious) Now it's your turn to rid the program of complacency. How long does it take you to do it is the question.

Bobs a good coach. I'd hate to see him go like a lot of you hated to see Mack go. Bobs problems are his assistants. He needs to cut ties with family and friends.....ex players. Mack made that same mistake.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCecilsGhost View Post
    That's because when the teams start dropping turds at midfield, like Stoops' teams have done consistently for almost a decade, they are shown the door a lot sooner than ten years. Phil Fulmer says hi. He got exactly 10 years after his NC, but many fans wanted him gone as early as 2005.
    Phil Fulmer is one, and look how that turned out. Tennessee is doing great, right?

Name some more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sammalone View Post
    As a Texas fan, we were in this same boat a couple of years ago. I recall many Sooner fans saying we'd be stupid to get rid of Mack. (Some of you were actually serious) Now it's your turn to rid the program of complacency. How long does it take you to do it is the question.

Bobs a good coach. I'd hate to see him go like a lot of you hated to see Mack go. Bobs problems are his assistants. He needs to cut ties with family and friends.....ex players. Mack made that same mistake.
    Nobody on here said that you'd be stupid to get rid of Mack. NOBODY.

Also, we're not even close to the same boat Texas was in. Everything went wrong this year (QB hurt, RBs suspended and injured, star WR injured, kicker fell apart and lost us games, etc.), and we still never got anywhere near 5-7. You guys had four straight years of 4 losses or more.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Nobody on here said that you'd be stupid to get rid of Mack. NOBODY.
    Lol....wrong. Some used the "Fulmer effect."

Also, we're not even close to the same boat Texas was in. Everything went wrong this year (QB hurt, RBs suspended and injured, star WR injured, kicker fell apart and lost us games, etc.), and we still never got anywhere near 5-7. You guys had four straight years of 4 losses or more.
    Not there yet, but where ya headed if Stoops doesn't make changes? The right changes?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUmillenium View Post
    Special teams Coaching decision(s) cost us.

Fixed it...

for 5 million a year...not good.

The trying for a punt block in the ksu game...STOOPID. I honestly believe we win that if that is not called (coaches calling for the block)..and Sat the re-punt.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that at both times...said DON'T do it...course the punt block that was an after since we didn't know the call before.

that's 2 losses...that probably are not.

Injuries are part of the game, can't control that...but calling plays ya can. Having back-ups half-way ready ya can....

not sure what the answer is but like someone said, for 5 Million that's Stoop's job to make the hard decisions...cutting his brother loose and JH...NEITHER will he ever do I'd imagine.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!