Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: At least Shannon and Mixon...

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Are we going to be able to stop anybody though? Is Heupel even smart enough to use DGB if he's around?

And the big question: Is Bob gonna have any fire in him to fix this mess? It's challenging to wake up all full of P&V when you live in the home he does, and have the bank account I'm sure he has.
    I don't know if it was Heupel's doing or Knight's, but we were smart enough to throw it to Shepard every time. Somehow we averaged almost 40 points this year, and I can't imagine our situation on offense getting any worse next year.

Our defense made the stops it needed to make usually. Baylor and OSU were the only teams to score more than 10 points on us in the second half if you exclude Tech's meaningless TD as time expired.

Edit: actually Texas scored 13 in the second half, but I bet we only gave up about 10 points a game in the second half, which isn't too bad.

vCash

Mixon and Shannon are 2 vastly different cases. There is absolutely no grounds for Stoops to "have Mixon's back" and if there are recruits that think he should, let someone else have them. If I wanted to watch a sport where all that matters is results on the field regardless of criminal behavior, I'd watch the NFL. But it seems even the NFL isn't as tolerant anymore. Whether that's strictly for PR reasons or not doesn't matter. The bottom line is that NFL player are being held out of games due to their off field behavior even though there is massive amounts of $$ on the line.

I fully admit I don't understand the Shannon thing. But I also admit I don't have enough information to judge.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Mixon and Shannon are 2 vastly different cases. There is absolutely no grounds for Stoops to "have Mixon's back" and if there are recruits that think he should, let someone else have them. If I wanted to watch a sport where all that matters is results on the field regardless of criminal behavior, I'd watch the NFL. But it seems even the NFL isn't as tolerant anymore. Whether that's strictly for PR reasons or not doesn't matter. The bottom line is that NFL player are being held out of games due to their off field behavior even though there is massive amounts of $$ on the line.

I fully admit I don't understand the Shannon thing. But I also admit I don't have enough information to judge.
    Don't worry! Those recruits are going somewhere else!!!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Don't worry! Those recruits are going somewhere else!!!
    Yes they are, but that drain started a few years back.

vCash

Alright. Gonna have to crunch the numbers here. If we exclude non-conference blowout wins, ST TDs, pick-6's, meaningless TDs in the final 2 or 3 minutes, etc. -

2nd Half points the Defense Allowed:

LT, TU: Blowouts
    Tennessee: 3
    WVU: 3
    TCU: 7
    UT: 13
    KSU: 10
    ISU: 7
    Baylor: 24
    Tech: 10
    KU: 0
    OSU: 14

That's 9.1 points per game against Power 5 schools. I'd venture to say that was one of our better seasons in that regard. There were only 12 points of meaningless TDs that I excluded (Tech and WVU). 10.3 is the official number.

vCash

Yes they are, but that drain started a few years back.
    Maybe related to the dual perception that 1. Bob can't win a game that matters, and 2. He won't support you if it means offending the PC types.

But hell...8-4 isn't THAT bad. I mean...we could get used to that, right?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Maybe related to the dual perception that 1. Bob can't win a game that matters, and 2. He won't support you if it means offending the PC types.

But hell...8-4 isn't THAT bad. I mean...we could get used to that, right?
    You're going to stick to your PC rant regardless of any facts, so have at it. There is a much larger group that has been questioning our recruiting success for several years and have more solid data to back it up. I don't know why it is since I don't follow the inside of the recruiting game that closely. I can just say that looking back at the '08 team, I just haven't seen us have as much strength and especially depth to even compare. When we do have a strong team such as in '11 it is razor thin and we fold after the first critical injury. I realize that no team is likely to win it all if they lose star players, but we don't just drop down a little, we drop down to the level of unranked teams. Maybe we don't have a coaching staff that can sell OU or maybe the CFB world has just shifted so far to the SEC states that it's just not possible to recruit at that level in Norman. I'm sure there are plenty of experts out there that have the answer, but I doubt they are on our coaching staff.

vCash

You're going to stick to your PC rant regardless of any facts, so have at it. There is a much larger group that has been questioning our recruiting success for several years and have more solid data to back it up. I don't know why it is since I don't follow the inside of the recruiting game that closely. I can just say that looking back at the '08 team, I just haven't seen us have as much strength and especially depth to even compare. When we do have a strong team such as in '11 it is razor thin and we fold after the first critical injury. I realize that no team is likely to win it all if they lose star players, but we don't just drop down a little, we drop down to the level of unranked teams. Maybe we don't have a coaching staff that can sell OU or maybe the CFB world has just shifted so far to the SEC states that it's just not possible to recruit at that level in Norman. I'm sure there are plenty of experts out there that have the answer, but I doubt they are on our coaching staff.
    I'm in the group that has been questioning our recruiting for the past several cycles - go research it, you'll see I'm right! (I'm the guy that liked to point it out when in many cases we won recruits from the likes of North Texas, New Mexico and the always powerful Louisiana Monroe).

But what does that have to do with the possible perception among current recruits (I'm not in their heads so I don't know for sure) that the head ball coach does not have his players backs if it is politically tricky to do so.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive!!!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

By the way: Our most recent cornerback recruit... we pried him away from the clutches of Ball State!

But yeah, let Jimbo sign the 5-star guys. I'd rather pick up the scraps that Ball State is fighting for.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

By the way: Our most recent cornerback recruit... we pried him away from the clutches of Ball State!

But yeah, let Jimbo sign the 5-star guys. I'd rather pick up the scraps that Ball State is fighting for.
    That's one guy, and perhaps we saw something that other teams didn't. We picked up a stud in Sunderland, and Mbanasor has been offered by basically everybody and their dog. We recruited DBs pretty well this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

On a moralistic level I agree with you that the bad off field behavior is not acceptable. Pragmatically I know we can't succeed as a team if we play by Marquess of Queensberry rules while the FSU's of the NCAA universe adapt a more laissez faire attitude. You can't compete under those circumstances. FSU is doing what they need to do to win. After the season maybe they deliver some mea culpa that they should have been more diligent and in the future they will work harder, blah, blah, etc, etc.

When you fight to win you have to hold your nose and do things you otherwise would not support. Either that or you lose.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    That's one guy, and perhaps we saw something that other teams didn't. We picked up a stud in Sunderland, and Mbanasor has been offered by basically everybody and their dog. We recruited DBs pretty well this year.
    It's actually a trend over the past several years where we are signing guys that almost, or in some cases zero other, major programs are interested in. Maybe we're just smarter than those other programs? Or maybe we're smarter by half? I'll let the folks look at the results and decide for themselves!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I'm in the group that has been questioning our recruiting for the past several cycles - go research it, you'll see I'm right! (I'm the guy that liked to point it out when in many cases we won recruits from the likes of North Texas, New Mexico and the always powerful Louisiana Monroe).

But what does that have to do with the possible perception among current recruits (I'm not in their heads so I don't know for sure) that the head ball coach does not have his players backs if it is politically tricky to do so.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive!!!
    Maybe there is that perception, but I don't see it going back to '08. I do think there may be an issue, but not because a coach won't defend a kid that gets in trouble off the field. A common theme among winning teams even all the up to the "just business" NFL level is that they claim they were family. And that includes teams coached by harsh disciplinarian coaches must stricter than Stoops. With OU, it seems there are many players critical of the program after they leave and not just players bitter about playing time. These were starting and star players. Maybe Stoops is too much CEO and aloof, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem we get that tight knit family feeling in the team and it seems to reflect in how much passion we get on the field. I'm wandering off into very subjective areas, so I could just be too sensitive to what I see at OU and it could be all teams are pretty much like this.

vCash

Maybe there is that perception, but I don't see it going back to '08. I do think there may be an issue, but not because a coach won't defend a kid that gets in trouble off the field. A common theme among winning teams even all the up to the "just business" NFL level is that they claim they were family. And that includes teams coached by harsh disciplinarian coaches must stricter than Stoops. With OU, it seems there are many players critical of the program after they leave and not just players bitter about playing time. These were starting and star players. Maybe Stoops is too much CEO and aloof, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem we get that tight knit family feeling in the team and it seems to reflect in how much passion we get on the field. I'm wandering off into very subjective areas, so I could just be too sensitive to what I see at OU and it could be all teams are pretty much like this.
    I don't disagree with that, but all these things can fit together: The multiple year poor recruiting trend, current perception Bob will cave to the PC crowd and not defend his players, and he's an aloof SOB. All very likely, and all not conducive to national championship caliber football teams.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Florida State currently has the #2 ranked recruiting class behind Alabama FWIW. OU is not in the top 25 last time I looked.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

It's actually a trend over the past several years where we are signing guys that almost, or in some cases zero other, major programs are interested in. Maybe we're just smarter than those other programs? Or maybe we're smarter by half? I'll let the folks look at the results and decide for themselves!
    So you're saying there is no way FSU would fight us over a guy that only has offers from schools like Louisville-Lafayette and Souther Miss?

https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/fo...pxUA.nVMSWtJB4

vCash

Florida State currently has the #2 ranked recruiting class behind Alabama FWIW. OU is not in the top 25 last time I looked.
    We're #21, but that's with only 16 players committed. We're #12 on average stars per commitment, which is the better indicator IMO. Even in Bob's earlier days, we usually hovered around #10.

vCash

So you're saying there is no way FSU would fight us over a guy that only has offers from schools like Louisville-Lafayette and Souther Miss?

https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/fo...pxUA.nVMSWtJB4
    Nowhere did I say we don't recruit against other major programs, and even occasionally sometimes win. I am well aware of Tito Windham and his recruitment. I don't mind arguing but try not to just make things up.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

We're #21, but that's with only 16 players committed. We're #12 on average stars per commitment, which is the better indicator IMO. Even in Bob's earlier days, we usually hovered around #10.
    So, we moved up from #26 or wherever we where before the latest update. That's comforting to be sitting at #21.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Nowhere did I say we don't recruit against other major programs, and even occasionally sometimes win. I am well aware of Tito Windham and his recruitment. I don't mind arguing but try not to just make things up.
    What did I make up?

Rivals shows that if we hadn't recruited the guy, FSU would have been fighting ULL and Southern Miss.