Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Does playing not to lose ever work?

The last time we were up 14 it became blatantly obvious that we decided to play not to lose. Why?

This year has been such a disappointment, so this was a fitting way to close out the season. Not as horrible as the Baylor game, but just about equally ridiculous all the way around.

I really thought we had this one until the offensive series after the Rudolph pick in the 4th quarter. We looked so pathetic on offense, that it just felt like it was a matter of time until OSU put it away.

Changes need to be made. No question.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Does playing not to lose ever work?

Yes it does work sometimes. Just often enough for coaches to fall for it.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Yes it does work sometimes. Just often enough for coaches to fall for it.
    True. It's kinda like going to a prevent defense too early in a game. It just prevents your defense from being effective.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....it is the siren song to the hopeful, not the confident

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

vCash

Today was painful to watch, but I'll cast my vote in the "yes" category. In fact, it's worked for us a lot over the years.

It's actually K-State's entire philosophy. Snyder literally preaches that games aren't won. They're lost. I don't completely agree with him, but he's not a bad coach, and it's worked pretty well for him.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Today was painful to watch, but I'll cast my vote in the "yes" category. In fact, it's worked for us a lot over the years.

It's actually K-State's entire philosophy. Snyder literally preaches that games aren't won. They're lost. I don't completely agree with him, but he's not a bad coach, and it's worked pretty well for him.
    Had Perine stayed in the game, I think that strategy does work this time. Maybe even if Ford hadn't gotten banged up. With Ross being the only back, and OSU putting 9 and 10 guys in the box, it just felt hopeless.

From an actual game play perspective, losing Perine was kinda the icing on the cake for the offense to bog down. Defensively, we just aren't very good in the secondary. For OSU to be able to score so quickly (on the drive prior to the punt return) verified that. Jordan Thomas was hung out to dry all day, and Wilson was clearly not ready to play. That last 5 minutes was brutal.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Had Perine stayed in the game, I think that strategy does work this time. Maybe even if Ford hadn't gotten banged up. With Ross being the only back, and OSU putting 9 and 10 guys in the box, it just felt hopeless.

From an actual game play perspective, losing Perine was kinda the icing on the cake for the offense to bog down. Defensively, we just aren't very good in the secondary. For OSU to be able to score so quickly (on the drive prior to the punt return) verified that. Jordan Thomas was hung out to dry all day, and Wilson was clearly not ready to play. That last 5 minutes was brutal.
    I absolutely agree that with the team we had out there, we needed to let the ball fly a time or two.

I don't agree with the way we played this today, but I think that we would have won easily playing "not to lose" with TK, Perine, and Shepard in there, though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ....it is the siren song to the hopeful, not the confident

ss
    That's the way I felt. I know I'm in the minority, but I really didn't care so much about whether we won or lost. Since this game had no real meaning in the standings or bowl placement, I was more interested in how we responded to the situation. Let the guys that are out there have a chance to make a play and maybe get an unexpected hero. If they make a mistake, maybe we lose but lessons are learned for next year. Hoping for Mr. Clock to expire before bad things happened just felt hollow.

vCash

I really thought we had this one until the offensive series after the Rudolph pick in the 4th quarter. We looked so pathetic on offense, that it just felt like it was a matter of time until OSU put it away.

Yup, after perine went down and our offesne was dead.. I felt like OSU was going to make a come back sooner or later. At least make it a closer game.

It's sad, but with the way this season has gone. Not surprised.
    Last edited by BlownGP; 12/7/2014 at 12:55 AM.
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I absolutely agree that with the team we had out there, we needed to let the ball fly a time or two.

I don't agree with the way we played this today, but I think that we would have won easily playing "not to lose" with TK, Perine, and Shepard in there, though.
    We just didn't have any skill on the field after Perine went down. He's been the savior the past few weeks, and without him, there's nobody to really pick up the slack. Ford isn't at 100%, and Ross...while a good back...isn't the guy that can take over a game.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BlownGP View Post
    Yup, after perine went down and our offesne was dead.. I felt like OSU was going to make a come sooner or later. At least make it a closer game.

It's sad, but with the way this season has gone. Not surprised.
    We were a different team with Perine in the game. When he went down, we were headed in to go up by 21. If we score on that drive, I think OSU is done and the game ends. With the fumble, it gave OSU life and they took full advantage.

I'll watch the bowl game, because I can't stop being a fan. But, for the first time in a while, I'm glad this season is almost over.

vCash

We were a different team with Perine in the game. When he went down, we were headed in to go up by 21. If we score on that drive, I think OSU is done and the game ends. With the fumble, it gave OSU life and they took full advantage.

I'll watch the bowl game, because I can't stop being a fan. But, for the first time in a while, I'm glad this season is almost over.
    Yeah, especially with no Shepherd and a QB who probably couldn't get it to him anyways.

After the 3rd qtr I was ready for the game to be over with. Seemed like the time clock was going so Slooow..lol
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

What 8time said.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

This
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Whats to discuss Sunshine brothers? Our team is unbelievably unprepared and uncoached. They suck and we have no playmakers. Our QB is unbelievably terrible and that's on our coaches.

Sick of them and our non existent defense. Enough!

vCash

Playing not to lose has been his problem since the 'Game Which Shall Not Be Named.'

If you're playing not to lose, why wouldn't you take the roughing the kicker penalty, and try & kick it thru the endzone ? Give them the ball on the 25 with little time left, force the pass play. Understand OU has one of worst pass defenses in CFB (#114), but actually they'd been covering the receivers pretty well at this point & Rudolph could 't find anybody open that could catch it.

For dang sure, don't punt it to the fastest guy on the field and hope for the best. That is what seems not playing it safe to me. I can hear Stoops now on his Blevins FB show....."....our guy didn't take the right angle....", "....we busted our coverage scheme...", " ...we let him get outside....". or some such thing. The ball should've never went that direction. Dumb.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner70 View Post
    If you're playing not to lose, why wouldn't you take the roughing the kicker penalty, and try & kick it thru the endzone ? Give them the ball on the 25 with little time left, force the pass play. Understand OU has one of worst pass defenses in CFB (#114), but actually they'd been covering the receivers pretty well at this point & Rudolph could 't find anybody open that could catch it.

For dang sure, don't punt it to the fastest guy on the field and hope for the best. That is what seems not playing it safe to me. I can hear Stoops now on his Blevins FB show....."....our guy didn't take the right angle....", "....we busted our coverage scheme...", " ...we let him get outside....". or some such thing. The ball should've never went that direction. Dumb.
    I think you're confusing not playing it safe with playing it stupid. It's like his decision to call that timeout at the end of the 2011 Baylor game -- it was stupendously stupid. It wasn't being aggressive....it was just being dumb.

Dumb clock management and declining penalties isn't the same as being more aggressive.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Whats to discuss Sunshine brothers? Our team is unbelievably unprepared and uncoached. They suck and we have no playmakers. Our QB is unbelievably terrible and that's on our coaches.

Sick of them and our non existent defense. Enough!
    What's really sad is that most of the Sooner fans that gave up their tickets to the Kansas game because they were fed up and thus missed Perine's record breaking day, came back to Owen Field only to witness this pitiful abortion.
    We finally got some positive national PR this year and just like the Sugar Bowl win, it's now completely gone. It's got be a complete headache for the Sooner athletic administration and especially for our PR spin machine.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

The last time we were up 14 it became blatantly obvious that we decided to play not to lose. Why?

This year has been such a disappointment, so this was a fitting way to close out the season. Not as horrible as the Baylor game, but just about equally ridiculous all the way around.

8time you've been a part of the debates before about recruiting/talent level, which I'm still contending has been a significant factor in our decline. We can talk all day about the coaching (which most threads are focused on today) but I still see lack of talent as a big issue. How can if be that mighty Oklahoma has at best, only the #4 QB in the conference. And when he goes down, it looks like we've got guys to step in who never played the position. Since Landry came to town, the school with the best QBs in the country for a decade hasn't had anyone. We haven't simply dropped back to "just good" or "average", we've been weak. And how long has it been since we've had anyone on the defense who you would call a physical stud? Our best defender is a CB with arms that look like pencils. Other than Mixon, when was the last time we got a really high profile recruit? Gerald McCoy in 2005 or whenever? There are at least 10 schools who have easily outdone us (per Rivals ranking which I know you don't regard as the bible) over the past 7 or 8 years, and I don't see any indication that it is changing