Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Hey Bob, If I Were You I'd Decline That Penalty. LOL

The running into the kicker penalty didn't give them a first down. The possible yardage gain was minimal. The risk benefit ratio of rekicking was not good.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Hey Bob, If I Were You I'd Decline That Penalty. LOL

I assume he just wanted the extra seconds to run off from one more play. But yeah, that's pretty low reward for the risk and Hill is very aggressive on returns no matter where the ball comes down. I still contend we deserved that and I flat out laughed when Hill broke into the open.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Where did they return the ball to?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

...gee, did it ever cross anyone's mind to angle the punt out of bounds? It's done all of the time....really!...nobody has ever returned one that I can remember...idiots

....the football acumen of this staff is incredible

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

What a stupid decision....he should know better...sheesh we SUCKED tonight!!!

vCash

if you're going to rekick it, at least kick it out of bounds. Monumentally stupid, as were about 100 things by this coaching staff after Perine went out and they all panicked even though they have great backups at that position.

I thought the same thing as they had them pinned nicely and the range of negative possibilities- actually getting the punt blocked, a poor punt, fumbling the snap, and, of course, a good punt return (let alone a TD)- clearly outweighed a few seconds on the clock.

Judging from his reaction I think Stoops may have recognized this but only after they had indicated they would accept the penalty.

Stoops to Florida. Please.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Sooner View Post

Stoops to Florida. Please.
    I think the guy they just hired would sue.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Nobody wants Stoops. He is so yesterday.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    You have a point. :-)

Ok, to Michigan. Please.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ...gee, did it ever cross anyone's mind to angle the punt out of bounds? It's done all of the time....really!...nobody has ever returned one that I can remember...idiots

....the football acumen of this staff is incredible

ss
    I was thinking surely we'll kick OB or thru the EZ. It looked like our guy behind their returner was trying to catch it before it crossed the goal line to down it, instead of paying attention to tackle him.
    Just a ridiculous coaching move to try and keep it in the field of play in the first place. Punt OB at the 10 would probably be enough, Risk vs reward, and all. Just a fitting end to this cluster(*$# regular season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    I was thinking surely we'll kick OB or thru the EZ. It looked like our guy behind their returner was trying to catch it before it crossed the goal line to down it, instead of paying attention to tackle him.
    Just a ridiculous coaching move to try and keep it in the field of play in the first place. Punt OB at the 10 would probably be enough, Risk vs reward, and all. Just a fitting end to this cluster(*$# regular season.
    Another dumb move on our part that helped contribute to the loss. I assume Bob taught him that personally.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercastor View Post
    Where did they return the ball to?
    The Endzone

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Monumentally stupid, as were about 100 things by this coaching staff after Perine went out and they all panicked even though they have great backups at that position.
    yep. the others did great tonight running the ball, with the o-line knocking them out of the way. Hell, they should have given it to Ripkowski at more than just the goal line. That young man has the heart to win.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan69 View Post
    The Endzone

vCash

Word on the street is that Mike Gundy may be available next week. We could get him to replace Bob. Better yet, how about Bo Pellini, Will Muschamp or Mack Brown. John Blake might also be willing to make a comeback as I think he is unemployed again.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

at least the kicking penalty call will now replace the feeling we had a couple of years ago when bob called the time out at the end of the first half and baylor scored and never lost the lead. I thought that was the dumbest call we ever made...... now its number 2.

I was yelling at the screan "decline the penalty Bob!" but, I guess he didnt hear me.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUinFLA View Post
    at least the kicking penalty call will now replace the feeling we had a couple of years ago when bob called the time out at the end of the first half and baylor scored and never lost the lead. I thought that was the dumbest call we ever made...... now its number 2.

I was yelling at the screan "decline the penalty Bob!" but, I guess he didnt hear me.
    When I saw it the penalty was just running into the kicker I told my son that Stoops would decline the penalty since it was inside the 20 yard line. I have no idea what he was thinking about. He looked like a deer caught in the head lites the entire 4th quarter.

I think Bob has mentally checked out. I don't think he enjoys coaching any more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post

I think Bob has mentally checked out. I don't think he knows how to coach any more.
    FIFY
    In all fairness we were whiney bitches long before OU rammed it up our cornholes, and long before Macks losing season.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    The running into the kicker penalty didn't give them a first down. The possible yardage gain was minimal. The risk benefit ratio of rekicking was not good.
    I agree that Bob should have declined the penalty. But an interesting stat that would have suggested otherwise at the time is this: for the entire season, up until Hill's 92 yard TD return, the OU punt team had only allowed a total of 85 return yards. Given the point in the game and the threat that Hill was, he made the wrong call. But what an interesting stat.