SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

2015 QB visiting at OU-OSU

From SB Nation....

The Sooners pursued several QB's earlier in this class, but after top targetTorrance Gibson committed to Ohio State, most though the Sooners would be content with what they had returning at QB (Knight, Thomas, Hansen, and Mayfield). That was until Trevor Knight was injured in the game against the Bears. Before we speculate more on the Knight injury, lets help you get to know the player visiting this weekend.

That player is Chason Virgil of West Mesquite High School in Mesquite, TX. Chason check in at 6'1" 170lbs. and was previously committed to Miss. St. If you are not familiar with what happened with him and the Bulldogs, check out this article. Virgil holds offers from Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Mizzou, Texas, ASU, and UCLA. The Sooners have not officially offered yet, but expect that to change after this weekend.

Bob Pryzbolo of Scout.com confirmed the visit via twitter earlier this morning

The most obvious question about the timing of this visit and soon to be offer is the future status of Trevor Knight. Neck injuries are serious and Trevor's health is of the utmost importance. Many have speculated that the sudden recruitment and offer of Virgil is tied to the possibility of Trevor Knight's future status with the Sooner football team. If the Sooners had to go in that route, having a 4th scholarship quaterback is important. The addition of a player like Virgil could clearly fill not only the possible hole in the roster, but give the Sooners a really talented QB.

"I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Administrator
    vCash

Re: 2015 QB visiting at OU-OSU

I don't think this has anything to do with Knight.

If we hadn't offered any QB's in this class, and all of a sudden we offered this kid after Knight's injury, then I think there could be something to it. That's not the case though.

The truth is Heupel always brings in a QB with every class. There wasn't as much urgency this year because we're pretty full at the position (with the unexpected addition of Mayfield). So, he's been a lot more picky about who to offer. Virgil, through no fault of his own, became available late in the cycle. He's from the region, he a dual threat QB, so why not take a shot at the kid? If he goes elsewhere it's no loss. If he commits, then great.

Clemson was his first offer, and he's still very interested in the Tigers. Ultimately, I think that's where he ends up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

If he came to this game, he probably thinks he can start as a true freshman!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    If he came to this game, he probably thinks he can start as a true freshman!
    And that might go for anyone watching what the Sooners had at QB in the game...

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

at 170 lbs, that kid is redshirting wherever he goes.
    Bazinga

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    at 170 lbs, that kid is redshirting wherever he goes.
    Yep.

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with his ability. That's not to say he won't develop into a great player, but he's not walking in and starting at OU next year.

I think he's going to end up at SMU anyway (the new head coach, former MSU OC, is the guy that recruited him to MSU and he wants him at SMU).

Time will tell.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 freshchris05's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Yep.

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with his ability. That's not to say he won't develop into a great player, but he's not walking in and starting at OU next year.

I think he's going to end up at SMU anyway (the new head coach, former MSU OC, is the guy that recruited him to MSU and he wants him at SMU).

Time will tell.
    Clemson
    "This whole world is 3 drinks behind..."

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by freshchris05 View Post
    Clemson
    Correct, my mistake. Clemson was the first school to offer him, and it was Morris that was the contact/recruiter at Clemson.

Administrator
    vCash

In a very odd turn of events, Virgil committed to Fresno State.

Nobody I've talked to had any clue they were anywhere near the top of his list. Most everyone thought he was heading to SMU, with an outside shot at OU. Guess you never know until the commitment happens.