Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Perine FBS single game rushing record

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    bite yer tongue.
    Actually, he did in an early game, but the refs ruled him down and replay claimed it was inconclusive (as did the homer crowd).

There, I appeased the football gods, so no jinx.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Who fumbled the ball that Kansas returned for a TD? I thought there was a facemask tackle on that play that was missed(KU player grabbed underneath the helmet which is a face mask.)
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Who fumbled the ball that Kansas returned for a TD? I thought there was a facemask tackle on that play that was missed(KU player grabbed underneath the helmet which is a face mask.)
    That was Ford's second fumble. The first one was all on Ford as he just didn't hold the ball securely enough running into a crowd. The 2nd fumble was weird and I thought is was a horse collar tackle and Ford clearly had a flash of pain when he dropped the ball. But looking at the replay, the KU guy had more of a clothesline tackle, but it was not a face mask or a clothesline. If I were coach, I probably would have forgiven the 2nd fumble and just sat him a few series, but not the first one. But given the order they happened, he wouldn't have been out there for the 2nd one. But it all ended well (except for Ford, of course).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The only thing that would have fitting to this game would have been the final score of 42-7, just like the yardage.

Since he was also the leading receiver with two-thirds of the catches that day, I say we alter the record books to note Nov. 22, 2014, that the final score was Samaje 44, Kansas 7.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    With all due respect to Perine and his new single game rushing record, Pruitt will still be one of the greatest RBs (along with Joe W) because I haven't seen another one besides those 2 (including Q) that could cut/change direction in mid-air, especially in the Cotton Bowl. Of course, neither could physically punish the D like Perine does.
    Pruitt, Little Joe, Q and Barry Sanders(yeah, I know he's a Poke) all fit the following:
    if you miss the tackle the first time, just wait, 'cause he'll likely come your way again.

As to the post about leaving Samaje in to run for 500, imo, that would cheapen the
    accomplishment and open Stoops up to a lot of "he's running it up again"..

Perine even went so far to credit his high school coaches driving him in the weight
    room...as someone said...a really classy young man!!!!!

vCash

Stoops just cannot win this battle: he's leaving him in to run up the yards. He's risking injury. Versus: how come the backups never get any quality playing time? How come Stoops doesn't develop depth?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Stoops just cannot win this battle: he's leaving him in to run up the yards. He's risking injury. Versus: how come the backups never get any quality playing time? How come Stoops doesn't develop depth?
    Lol....You really nailed it....Some of these dip****s come up with more **** to bitch about than any women could muster.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Somewhere, Mike Lupica is gearing up his column to bash Bob Stoops again...

vCash

I've often puzzled over the 'developing depth' thing. Let's see: the starter, who's presumably playing well, and especially in a close or yet-to-be-decided game, particularly early in the season while you're trying to get everybody into a rhythm, you're supposed to pull the starter and put in the backup for the sake of developing depth. I just don't get it. And how much experience do you really get, as a substitute, playing against a tired team, or its second or third teamers? I mean, I guess it's better than none, but still.

Even more amazing to me, is against Kansas, we had possibly our most dominant defensive performance in seven or eight years, and we were missing a total of five starters from offense and defense. (Two on D.) Yeah, Kansas is struggling and all, but still--they whipped Iowa State and lost to TCU by the same point total we did...in fact, the scores were just about the same. Still--we just need to schedule more teams that have lousy QBs, or at least classic stay-in-the-pocket QBs.

Shoulda jumped to the Big Ten, I guess.

vCash

Agree - you nailed it. I'll give Bob the goldie locks award on this one - just the right amount of carries. 34 is a full load, but not excessive and he wasn't even tackled on 5 of them. They said that Tomlison had 43 in the game when he went for 406. As far as backups, Ford has his chances and he blew them (EDIT and he was the starter anyway).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Taiwanese view of Perine's record: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....cord-day.html/
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I don't know why anyone has a problem with HCBS putting the Duck (still lmao at some of the KU comments about Perine--the guy must be part duck to run like he does in this rain) back in to break the record. B Stoops pulled him immediately after he broke the record. We needed something good to happen to us anyway, to put us back into any relevant positive conversation with the CFB press, and this was just the thing after this completely disappointing and underachieving year. An expected 40 point, or so, normal beat-down of a KU football team wouldn't have been any national news whatsoever and outside of perhaps the states of Kansas and Oklahoma wouldn't have been more than a box-score blurb on the back page of any national press publication.
    I just hope K.Ford doesn't fall into the oblivion "dog-house" of not getting any playing time because of his 2nd fumble. (imo) He didn't seem to be 100%, was sort of running ""gingerly, and probably shouldn't have been out there with the soaked slick field and the pouring down rain in the 1st place.
    What amazes me more than anything is, that an over 400 yard individual rushing performance sort of sneaked up on the whole viewing audience and didn't even become a possibility until the last half of the 3rd quarter, and then it was attained and over so quickly.
    Perine had his share of stuffs at the LOS and tough yards for minimal gains and no 80 or 90 yard breakaways for 6 which you usually see in these types of huge individual rushing performances.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 11/24/2014 at 04:57 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Goons!

vCash

Ford actually went 8 for 36, a bit over four yards per carry. Not bad. But the two fumbles were killers. It's what got him off the field last season too.

vCash

So I just looked at Perine and Mixons hs highlights and I just can't say that mixon was THAT much better. He has better breakaway speed but, like Ross, it doesn't do much good if you can't get past that first level. Perine looks much bigger and stronger than his hs opponents but he STILL looks that way in college. If any of you sacks have looked at mixons highlights, who would you say he resembles?

vCash

Mixon reminded me of a bigger Reggie Bush when i was checking out his film before the season.

those two at the same time could just be insane.

hopefully he can stay out of trouble from here on out...

vCash

I thought the Mixon highlights were still being withheld from the public

vCash

Mixon and Perrine, spelled by Keith Ford and Alex Ross, will be quite the RB tandem next year, assuming the offensive line is there and we have a decent semblance of a passing attack; and with Shepard and DGB ostensibly there (I may be dreaming but that's all we know at the moment is they say they'll be back), even a decent passer might look all world.

Now as to the D...right now I think I'd be trying to hire the dude from Arkansas. And maybe the OC at Colorado State. Some serious improvement at both schools this season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I thought the Mixon highlights were still being withheld from the public
    Hardeharhar.

vCash

Just watched Perines carries and there were many times the ku defenders rolled over. Late in the game a dude had a chance to tackle him but just swiped at the ball instead. Some of those guys should be embarrassed.