Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: OU (Men) vs. Creighton - Tonight 7:00pm (CT) Fox 1

well, there is a CHANCE...lol, small but a chance
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

We had a chance, but that was just an ugly play.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

How hard is it to get Heild the ball there?

Bad loss right there and terrible defense and rebounding in the 2nd half.

vCash

no offense but they act like they won the ncaa...yes, great comeback..total collapse by OU. Lost the intensity, Lon didn't call a TO during the 14-0 run...to fire them up. Early but this loss hurts. Could have been a pretty solid win down the road.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Man. ****.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    he did the same crap last year...dribble into no man's land and not know wth to do. I haven't seen any improvement in 2 games...but it's long season. I think Booker plays "more in the system" Cousins likes his NY ways....lol
    The two things that really make nervous is no real inside presence, Spangler tries but he doesn't guard very well and he's kinda slow so he doesn't work the paint very well. The other being Buddy, oh Buddy, love when he's on, hate when he's off 'cause he ain't seen a shot he don't like.

Basketball is a long season but tonight would've been a nice tourney resume victory

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

Ah, tough because it's one we should have won. Nice early road win, would have went a long ways.

None the less, hopefully a lot learned, good test on the road. I really do think this will help us in the long run.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    The two things that really make nervous is no real inside presence, Spangler tries but he doesn't guard very well and he's kinda slow so he doesn't work the paint very well. The other being Buddy, oh Buddy, love when he's on, hate when he's off 'cause he ain't seen a shot he don't like.

Basketball is a long season but tonight would've been a nice tourney resume victory
    agreed, Spang got abused by the guards in the post...defensively. I love his desire...Thomas looks like he might be the off guy in the post. Buddy....ah, yes. Heck, Spang had a better night from long range than Buddy...shooters got to shoot I guess. I know this year if this year...but man, next year will be awesome if everyone stays...lol

vCash

night all...Boomer Sooner, beat the jayhawks Sat...need an OU blowout in SOMETHING...lol

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    agreed, Spang got abused by the guards in the post...defensively. I love his desire...Thomas looks like he might be the off guy in the post. Buddy....ah, yes. Heck, Spang had a better night from long range than Buddy...shooters got to shoot I guess. I know this year if this year...but man, next year will be awesome if everyone stays...lol
    What perplexes me is the "new" college movement to have even the bigs face up and try to take guys off the dribble. Thomas is a prime example of a guy who's athletic enough to spin off the post but he wants to face up all day long. Spangler had a couple of decent posts and didn't get fed the ball but for the most part it is a high ball screen by the big which to me creates a heavily reliance on jump shooting which is a recipe for a roller coaster season.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I took toddler baj to church and then I put toddler baj to bed, so I only got to see the final play and Buddy make two threes in two possessions (and blue jay answer the first, gah).

Bahhh. Misery loves company. I'm gonna do two meltdown posts for every one sooner loss, because dag nabbit, there's no BCS in basketball. Here, I built a flow chart:

Brutal loss, but going to be good for our guys later on in the year. Kruger will use it as a teaching point plus it's good to face adversity like that. Gives some character to your ballclub that could pay off dividends later on in the year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Great start, great first half, great first 1:30 in 2nd half - then we looked tired and unfocused.

Poor shot selection and less than stellar defense added to the fail.

Still had a chance but like many said, this would have been nice early season road victory for the tourney resume. Win about 15 straight and this won't matter.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 msteudem's Avatar
    vCash

Would've like to have seen Laffin sp? stay in there more since he was doing a better job as rim protector. We just go out hustled in the last 17 minutes of the game. Wouldn't hurt so bad if we hadn't had such a large lead with 18 minutes left. Would be nice to see a rematch in the tourney!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Administrator
    vCash

I don't mind the loss, just because it's so early and to a decent team (and we could/should have won).

I actually like this loss a little bit. I've seen games like that a hundred times: team gets up to a big lead, then thinks it can coast to the end, opposing teams starts to make shots, and wins.

I like the loss because it's a HUGE lesson that can't be learned in practice. As good as OU is, there will be games when they are up big to good teams...they have to learn to finish. Even with as many returning players as we have, it's a new team with new pieces and this is the time of year to work out the kinks.

Couple of observations:

1. Hield is a stud. That's the guy I want with the ball at the end of close games. He's just gotten better every year.
    2. Woodard played okay, but he's capable of more. I expect to see him making more shots (I'm sure he does too).
    3. Lattin is the real deal. I agree with the above comment, he needs to be in the game more. He's going to be a good player.
    4. Thomas looked much better than he did in the first game, but still not quite to the level he is capable. I'm sure he'll get there, and he's going to be a great addition late in the year.
    5. Spanger worked hard down low (as usual), but was left to defense the guards and got run over. We need to fix that.
    6. I love Isiah Cousins. I love how hard he worked in the off season to come back from the gunshot wound. I love that he's a Sooner. I do not love having him handling the ball in close games, especially late. He dribbles himself into trouble, then inevitably makes a bad pass.
    7. What to say about Frank Booker...I love his defensive effort. Offense, not so much.

This is a good squad, and losing sucks, but we have a lot of time to get things right. The pieces are there, but they have to learn to play together, and to everyone's strength.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I don't mind the loss, just because it's so early and to a decent team (and we could/should have won).

I actually like this loss a little bit. I've seen games like that a hundred times: team gets up to a big lead, then thinks it can coast to the end, opposing teams starts to make shots, and wins.

I like the loss because it's a HUGE lesson that can't be learned in practice. As good as OU is, there will be games when they are up big to good teams...they have to learn to finish. Even with as many returning players as we have, it's a new team with new pieces and this is the time of year to work out the kinks.

Couple of observations:

1. Hield is a stud. That's the guy I want with the ball at the end of close games. He's just gotten better every year.
    2. Woodard played okay, but he's capable of more. I expect to see him making more shots (I'm sure he does too).
    3. Lattin is the real deal. I agree with the above comment, he needs to be in the game more. He's going to be a good player.
    4. Thomas looked much better than he did in the first game, but still not quite to the level he is capable. I'm sure he'll get there, and he's going to be a great addition late in the year.
    5. Spanger worked hard down low (as usual), but was left to defense the guards and got run over. We need to fix that.
    6. I love Isiah Cousins. I love how hard he worked in the off season to come back from the gunshot wound. I love that he's a Sooner. I do not love having him handling the ball in close games, especially late. He dribbles himself into trouble, then inevitably makes a bad pass.
    7. What to say about Frank Booker...I love his defensive effort. Offense, not so much.

This is a good squad, and losing sucks, but we have a lot of time to get things right. The pieces are there, but they have to learn to play together, and to everyone's strength.
    Good points. I agree with all of them. I don't personally like any loss that involves laziness on defense. Especially since it's been a problem in the past with these guys. But I get where you're coming from.

Some of my thoughts:

1. Agree 100% about Cousins. He has no business even being on the court in crunch time, IMO. Too many REALLY bad decisions. But he really lays it on the line on the court most of the time.
    2. Hield - part 1. He can be amazing, but he needs to move around more to get open on offense. Most of that 2nd half run that Creighton had, he was standing around waiting for the pass to come to him, but he wasn't open. Had he gotten open and hit a shot or two he could've opened things up for some of the other guys.
    3. Hield - part 2. The slapping the floor thing is annoying, not because he's incapable of playing good defense...but because of the type of defense we play. We don't play tight man-to-man, we play off and do a lot of switching. It just looks foolish for him to be slapping the floor like that, knowing that in about 3-5 seconds he's not going to be covering that man. And yeah, I know he's just trying to get himself amped up. Just a personal annoyance.
    4. Woodard - part 1. I hated that he would take 9 seconds to cross half-court and then just sit 30-35 feet from the basket killing time. I understand slowing the game down to sort things out, but we weren't running an offense at that point, and it ended up in a lot of bad shots.
    5. Woodard - part 2. All last year and so far this year it's apparent to me that he can't be covered without being fouled. Why we aren't taking more advantage of that is confusing to me. He's got to be more involved in the offense. And I get that he's trying to involve the rest of the team...but he has to be a threat as well.
    6. Love Lattin's defense. He was the one to stop the constant driving to the basket that we just allowed to happen for much of that 2nd half. We need more of that, and sadly I think he's the only one with that ability.
    7. I like the dynamic that Tashawn Thomas brings to the offense. His defense needs a little work, IMO...but that could just be him still getting acclimated.
    8. I know most people are wary of it, but I like Spangler hitting outside shots. He's had a hard time of scoring consistently down low, and him hitting the long range shots is just another threat defenses have to worry about.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned about the lack of effort issue. I'm not entirely thrilled about the type of defense we play. But I like this team and I think they can do really good things this year. But, it's just basketball, right?

vCash

I didn't get to watch hardly any of the two games this season, so I don't have much to add. I will say that what you guys are saying about Cousins is consistent with what I've seen over his career. Hield and Woodard have the potential to be great scorers on offense, and that has been apparent from day 1, but not so much with Cousins. He plays hard, though, and while he's not an incredible athlete, he's athletic enough to guard most people. I said going into the offseason that we needed him to develop into our primary perimeter defender to go very far this postseason. If he's developed into an elite perimeter defender, he'll be the perfect fit in our backcourt.

Spangler is an interesting case. I felt like he was a big reason for our success last year, but that if we're going to get where we want to be, we're going to have to phase him out of the starting lineup by his senior year. He seemed kind of like a band-aid to hold us over, but with his great offensive rebounding, he became a bit more than that. Defensively, though, he doesn't have the ability to protect the rim, and he doesn't have the quickness to guard guys out on the perimeter. We're capable of making a Sweet 16 run with him, but I don't think we can make an Elite 8/Final 4 type run or win conference. If he's making 3's, though, that will go a long way for his minutes. It would really stretch the defense if he could shoot about 40% on 3. I still think he needs to be coming off the bench next year, though.

Also, any word on Buford? Is he redshirting? I had kind of assumed he would step in as a starter before Thomas was declared eligible. If Thomas wasn't eligible, would Lattin and Spangler be our starters?

I'm also curious about Walker. I've never seen him play, so I don't know anything about him.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I didn't get to watch hardly any of the two games this season, so I don't have much to add. I will say that what you guys are saying about Cousins is consistent with what I've seen over his career. Hield and Woodard have the potential to be great scorers on offense, and that has been apparent from day 1, but not so much with Cousins. He plays hard, though, and while he's not an incredible athlete, he's athletic enough to guard most people. I said going into the offseason that we needed him to develop into our primary perimeter defender to go very far this postseason. If he's developed into an elite perimeter defender, he'll be the perfect fit in our backcourt.

Spangler is an interesting case. I felt like he was a big reason for our success last year, but that if we're going to get where we want to be, we're going to have to phase him out of the starting lineup by his senior year. He seemed kind of like a band-aid to hold us over, but with his great offensive rebounding, he became a bit more than that. Defensively, though, he doesn't have the ability to protect the rim, and he doesn't have the quickness to guard guys out on the perimeter. We're capable of making a Sweet 16 run with him, but I don't think we can make an Elite 8/Final 4 type run or win conference. If he's making 3's, though, that will go a long way for his minutes. It would really stretch the defense if he could shoot about 40% on 3. I still think he needs to be coming off the bench next year, though.

Also, any word on Buford? Is he redshirting? I had kind of assumed he would step in as a starter before Thomas was declared eligible. If Thomas wasn't eligible, would Lattin and Spangler be our starters?

I'm also curious about Walker. I've never seen him play, so I don't know anything about him.
    I didn't know this until the other thread about Thomas, but Buford didn't qualify academically, so he has to sit out a year.

FWIW, I love Spangler. I think people are expecting more of him than he's capable of doing, because he's so good at the things he does. So, I'd rather him just do the things he's comfortable doing - rebounding, and now apparently hitting open shots. I think for him, that's good enough, especially if Lattin and Thomas develop into better low post scorers.

vCash

That really hurts. We could use Buford.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    That really hurts. We could use Buford.
    I was thinking the same thing originally, but I like where we're at now that we have Thomas. Fitting Buford in would be tough now. And since Thomas is a senior, it'll be nice to have Buford as a replacement next year and get as much out of him as we can.