Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Dang, I miss the drama and controversy

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    ...and MSU deserves in because of their OOC schedule? tOSU deserves in even though their conference schedule is weaker than ours?
    My only issue with Baylor getting in is their loss. WVU is not a bad team, but the way they lost is what keeps Baylor out in my mind. I know TCU's only loss was to Baylor, but it was a very close game. If both teams finish with just the one loss, I think TCU gets the nod.

I could see a case for both Baylor and TCU to get in, but we aren't the SEC, so that's not going to happen.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    My only issue with Baylor getting in is their loss. WVU is not a bad team, but the way they lost is what keeps Baylor out in my mind. I know TCU's only loss was to Baylor, but it was a very close game. If both teams finish with just the one loss, I think TCU gets the nod.

I could see a case for both Baylor and TCU to get in, but we aren't the SEC, so that's not going to happen.
    TCU getting in over Baylor is absolutely ridiculous beyond all reason and logic when there is a tangible head-to-head record that puts us over TCU. Hanging that much importance on a decidedly average Minnesota team is equally ridiculous as is not taking into account their struggle against Kansas and our comparative score in that game along with the comparative score of the OU game. We'll see how we do against Kansas State.

But there is no logical or reasonable argument for TCU over Baylor in the playoff. Having said that, I'm more pissed about tOSU being ahead of us than I am TCU. And if the Big XII is passed over entirely (whether it be us or TCU) then people need to show up at the selection committee with pitchforks and torches.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    With OU out of the CFP race, there is nary a mention of the committee rankings here. I sure wish we were undefeated and smugly looking down on the poor loser teams. I would even embrace being a 1 loss team on the outside looking in and bitching and moaning about the committee and SEC bias. .
    I said this on some thread; the worst thing about being out of the race is that I don't give a crap about any outside happenings. I don't care who has to beat who for us to move up or whatever.

sigh. I too miss, maybe not the drama, but the excitement of it all and keeping up with everything.

Next year!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

TCU getting in over Baylor is absolutely ridiculous beyond all reason and logic when there is a tangible head-to-head record that puts us over TCU.
    Yes, but anybody who watched that game knows that Baylor doesn't pull that out without some home-cooking. Those PI calls never would have happened at TCU, or even on a neutral field.

and our comparative score in that game along with the comparative score of the OU game.
    Sterling Shepard played against TCU. It's kind of like playing OU after Broyles went down. Totally different ball game.

We'll see how we do against Kansas State.

And if the Big XII is passed over entirely (whether it be us or TCU) then people need to show up at the selection committee with pitchforks and torches.
    Exactly. We'll wait and see how it plays out before freaking out, though. These kinds of things tend to sort themselves out. Everybody freaked out about the BCS, but it usually got things right in the end.

My biggest concern about this system right now is that the defending champs can be the only undefeated team team in the country, yet are still only 3rd. It appears that this new playoff poll is the worst one we have.

Administrator
    vCash

TCU getting in over Baylor is absolutely ridiculous beyond all reason and logic when there is a tangible head-to-head record that puts us over TCU. Hanging that much importance on a decidedly average Minnesota team is equally ridiculous as is not taking into account their struggle against Kansas and our comparative score in that game along with the comparative score of the OU game. We'll see how we do against Kansas State.

But there is no logical or reasonable argument for TCU over Baylor in the playoff. Having said that, I'm more pissed about tOSU being ahead of us than I am TCU. And if the Big XII is passed over entirely (whether it be us or TCU) then people need to show up at the selection committee with pitchforks and torches.
    If Baylor had won convincingly, you'd have an argument. Also, if all things were equal, and that were the only variable at play, you'd have an argument. Neither of those things happened.

You're thinking with your Baylor brain, because the majority of folks that have discussed this are in agreement that TCU will probably beat Baylor out for the spot unless one of them loses. And sadly, it does come down to Minnesota. They are better than "decidedly average", but they aren't a powerhouse either. However, they look like a powerhouse compared to every OOC team Baylor played. Everyone knew OOC games were going to be factored in, but Baylor continues to schedule Incarnate Word. If it comes down to OOC strength of schedule, then Baylor loses every time.

Baylor still has time to turn some heads, but I just don't see them jumping TCU. Next time, don't lose to WVU.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yes, but anybody who watched that game knows that Baylor doesn't pull that out without some home-cooking. Those PI calls never would have happened at TCU, or even on a neutral field.

Sterling Shepard played against TCU. It's kind of like playing OU after Broyles went down. Totally different ball game.

Exactly. We'll wait and see how it plays out before freaking out, though. These kinds of things tend to sort themselves out. Everybody freaked out about the BCS, but it usually got things right in the end.

My biggest concern about this system right now is that the defending champs can be the only undefeated team team in the country, yet are still only 3rd. It appears that this new playoff poll is the worst one we have.
    Lots of thing can and will happen between now and the selection show. There really isn't any point in anyone getting too worked up over any of it, it's just too soon.

I also wholehearted agree with you about this poll...although I think, at the end of the day, the committee bases everything off of the other polls. The jury is still out, but I'm starting to wonder in the BCS wasn't the way to do it...at least to rank the teams.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    If Baylor had won convincingly, you'd have an argument. Also, if all things were equal, and that were the only variable at play, you'd have an argument. Neither of those things happened.
    Are you for real? Is this real life that I'm living in or some kind of bizarro-world? My argument is that...WE WON THE GAME! You're seriously going to give TCU the nod over us because they didn't LOSE to us by enough points? Are you going to penalize TCU for not beating Kansas by enough points? Or for not beaing OU by enough points? For Christ's sake....we won.

You're smart enough to know this is a stupid and indefensible position. The problem is that you "feel" like TCU is "probably" better than Baylor, so you're really working like hell to make the actual facts reflect that belief....except they don't.

All things being equal, the only thing that matters is head-to-head. /story

vCash

Are you for real? Is this real life that I'm living in or some kind of bizarro-world? My argument is that...WE WON THE GAME! You're seriously going to give TCU the nod over us because they didn't LOSE to us by enough points? Are you going to penalize TCU for not beating Kansas by enough points? Or for not beaing OU by enough points? For Christ's sake....we won.

You're smart enough to know this is a stupid and indefensible position. The problem is that you "feel" like TCU is "probably" better than Baylor, so you're really working like hell to make the actual facts reflect that belief....except they don't.

These arguments are meaningless until all the data is there. Some team is going to do something really weird before this season is over.

But like I said earlier, it wasn't on a neutral field, so it doesn't all come down to head-to-head. Based on how that game turned out, TCU would have won that on a neutral field, as those PI inconsistencies don't tend to happen so closely together when an officiating crew isn't being influenced by a home crowd. Winning certainly counts for something, but it's close enough that we're going to have to wait until all the games have been played to decide on this.

vCash

These arguments are meaningless until all the data is there. Some team is going to do something really weird before this season is over.

But like I said earlier, it wasn't on a neutral field, so it doesn't all come down to head-to-head. Based on how that game turned out, TCU would have won that on a neutral field, as those PI inconsistencies don't tend to happen so closely together when an officiating crew isn't being influenced by a home crowd. Winning certainly counts for something, but it's close enough that we're going to have to wait until all the games have been played to decide on this.

What the ****? The game wasn't played on a neutral field; therefore, the win doesn't count? Who the **** decided on that rule? I'm not thinking with my 'Baylor brain' -- I'm thinking with my 'I'm not an illogical idiot' brain.

Your using pure conjecture on what may or may not have happened in a game that was never played in a location that was never agreed upon to negate a real-world actual result on the playing field. This is beyond lunacy.

So what if it might have been played on a neutral field? Maybe we would have won in any case. Maybe TCU would have won. Maybe we get a late game INT for a pick 6 that wins the game. Maybe the TCU QB goes down with an injury early in the game and his backup comes in. Maybe a comet hits. Maybe Petty shook of his early-season jitters early and dominates the game. Maybe Briles outcoaches Patterson (again). Do you see the problem with this bull**** reasoning? It's asinine and stupid. It's nothing but pure conjecture on what MIGHT have happened and using that 'logic' to throw out the legitimacy of an actual win.

Christ-o-mighty -- you people aren't this dense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

SicEm...you need to listen to the people who make these decisions...they have CLEARLY layed out why they choose TCU over Baylor. The simplest answer is that Baylor's Non Conference schedule is KILLING them...not even remotely impressive!!! Head to head only comes into to play if all things are equal...and in the case of TCU and Baylor, all things are not equal.

Deal with and adjust your Non Conference Schedule...pure and simple. The committee has made it clear that teams get penalized for fluff and stuff scheduling...AND teams get penalized for poor performances against week teams...ala TCU dropping in the rankings because they struggled against a sorry azz KU.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

I still predict that BU will pass TCU if they both win out because of the KSU game.

vCash

What the ****? The game wasn't played on a neutral field; therefore, the win doesn't count? Who the **** decided on that rule? I'm not thinking with my 'Baylor brain' -- I'm thinking with my 'I'm not an illogical idiot' brain.

Your using pure conjecture on what may or may not have happened in a game that was never played in a location that was never agreed upon to negate a real-world actual result on the playing field. This is beyond lunacy.

So what if it might have been played on a neutral field? Maybe we would have won in any case. Maybe TCU would have won. Maybe we get a late game INT for a pick 6 that wins the game. Maybe the TCU QB goes down with an injury early in the game and his backup comes in. Maybe a comet hits. Maybe Petty shook of his early-season jitters early and dominates the game. Maybe Briles outcoaches Patterson (again). Do you see the problem with this bull**** reasoning? It's asinine and stupid. It's nothing but pure conjecture on what MIGHT have happened and using that 'logic' to throw out the legitimacy of an actual win.

You guys beat them by a field goal at home. What's home field advantage worth? You're basically even with them. So TCU should get the nod because of your sh!tty non-con schedule. If you can't nut up and play a half assed decent team in one out of three games then you deserve to get left out. Even old man Snyder has nutted up in recent years. Baylor's scheduling is an embarrassment.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon St Sooner View Post
    You guys beat them by a field goal at home. What's home field advantage worth? You're basically even with them. So TCU should get the nod because of your sh!tty non-con schedule. If you can't nut up and play a half assed decent team in one out of three games then you deserve to get left out. Even old man Snyder has nutted up in recent years. Baylor's scheduling is an embarrassment.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

vCash

I'd like to thank Sic'Em for the pre-butthurt. "Pre" because they haven't played KSU as yet, so BU fans have a couple weeks to whine about something that may not matter. This was the drama I was looking for when I started this thread - just wish OUr fans could be more invested due to better circumstances (like being undefeated, sigh). Carry on.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I promise to do a meltdown post after final playoff rankings of some sort, because even if it isn't a Big 12 team, someone who thinks they're worthy will be left out of the four-team party and declare a boycott of Dr. Pepper and their annoying commercials.

Say... isn't Baylor the mecca of Dr. Pepper? Why isn't the primary sponsor of this CFP fest in the top four for this reason alone? Dear or dear, I guess Ann Richards is dead, because as SicEm repeatedly reminds us, she is the only reason Baylor is in the Big 12 and had any political clout ever.

Administrator
    vCash

You're trying to find logic in the situation, and it's not there. The win (over TCU) does count for something, but so does the point differential. Sic, you're blinded by your green and gold glasses. If Baylor would have taken care of business in Morgantown, there wouldn't be an argument. The committee will take into account the win over TCU, but I'm telling you they will also take into account the score, and the fact that it was on the road. When looking at both teams, they're going to look at more than just that one game...they're going to look at overall strength of schedule too.

You can argue with me all you want, but it's not going to change the outcome. The one benefit Baylor has is that their schedule gives them more of an opportunity to impress the committee (than TCU). But, if you're asking me, I think TCU deserves to be in over Baylor. Yes, I "think", because you know, I'm not on the actual committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    The committee has made it clear that teams get penalized for fluff and stuff scheduling...AND teams get penalized for poor performances against week teams...ala TCU dropping in the rankings because they struggled against a sorry azz KU.
    Unless it's Mississippi State or any other sec team of course...ala msu not moving at all for their abysmal performance against a 1-5 in conference arkansas

vCash

I'm not thinking with my 'Baylor brain' -- I'm thinking with my 'I'm not an illogical idiot' brain.
    I disagree...and it appears that every other non-biased person here does as well.

So you're saying that the fact that TCU was playing in Waco decreased the chances of their QB getting hurt, a comet striking, Baylor's QB playing well, Baylor's gameplan being successful, and throwing pick-6's?

That's funny. I would have thought the reverse would have been true on all of the those (even the comet...due to it being Waco and all).

Statistically, college football teams play better at home than they do on the road. It's reality. Not lunacy.

Do you think that calling everybody idiots over and over strengthens your argument?

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

decreased the chances of their QB getting hurt
    Speaking of hurt QB, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what ended Baylor's playoff chances. That or SMU, Northwestern State and Buffalo. Geez, it's like I'm taking attendance for Worst Teams in College Football 101.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I started reading this thread with good intentions. But I don't care enough.

What I would like to see:
    FSU to lose
    Baylor penalized for a girly schedule
    Ohio St left out
    Bama to win the NC
    Mariotta's eligibility to run out