Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Dang, I miss the drama and controversy

With OU out of the CFP race, there is nary a mention of the committee rankings here. I sure wish we were undefeated and smugly looking down on the poor loser teams. I would even embrace being a 1 loss team on the outside looking in and bitching and moaning about the committee and SEC bias. Guess I'll just have to watch the Housewives of New Jersey or some s.hit to get my drama fix. Sigh.

vCash

Re: Dang, I miss the drama and controversy

If it makes you feel any better, there's a **** load of drama in my house tonight over the CFP. Head over to baylorfans.com if you want your fill.

I'm trying to stay calm and not get too pissed until everything shakes out at the end of the season, but I definitely have pulled my pitchfork out of the closet and I'm sharpening it as we speak.

Administrator
    vCash

Even if we were in the hunt, I just can't get excited about the process. I'm not opposed to the way it is working, but I don't see much of a point in getting worked up (one way or the other) knowing that there is still a considerable amount of time left for things to change.

I will say that I am disappointed in what I have seen so far. I thought the committee was going to go into to this looking at things from a complete point of view, and not just a carbon copy of the existing polls. It looks to me like they have used the existing polls as a benchmark for their own.

Auburn is a good example of what I'm talking about:

Auburn started the season ranked #6 in the AP Poll and #5 in the coaches poll.

My first question was "Why did they deserve to be ranked there?". If they're basing last year's season as a starting point, and given Auburn played in the title game (and kept it close), then that ranking seems justified. However, if that's the benchmark, why is Alabama ranked 1) ahead of Oklahoma and 2) ahead of Auburn? Both teams beat Alabama in their last two games. So, that's a major inconsistency with the polls, but those aren't supposed to have any bearing on the playoff committee...right?

The Playoff committee releases their first poll after week 10. After the first 10 weeks of football, Auburn has 1 loss to Mississippi State (which is ranked #1 in the debut playoff rankings). With a record of 6-1, Auburn is ranked #3 in the initial playoff rankings. There are quite a number of one loss teams behind Auburn, but according to the playoff committee, Auburn is still the 3rd best team in the country. If we are to believe Mississippi State is the best team in the country (according to the committee), then it stands to reason that Auburn (who's only loss was a close one to Mississippi State) shouldn't have fallen much.

Then, two weeks later, Auburn loses to Texas A&M. Not only did they lose, it was to an unranked A&M team (which moved back into the top 25 the following week). That should be an 'ugly' loss, which historically has put teams in a free fall in the polls. The result: Auburn drops from #3 to #9, 6 spots. Not much of a drop for a team that now has it's second loss. So, the committee looks at it and says, Auburn lost a close game to a team we ranked again (because they beat a ranked Auburn) and their only other loss was to our #1 team. I can still buy in, but it's a bit of a stretch to keep Auburn in the top 10, considering they lost to an unranked (at the time) team. But, Okay, it is what it is...

The very next week (last week), Auburn loses again. This time, it's a very ugly loss to #15 ranked Georgia. The score was 34-7, but the game wasn't as close as even that score indicated. Auburn, after their third loss, drops to #14.

Just to recap, Auburn starts the year ranked 6/5 in the non-playoff polls. Loses 3 games; one to a top 10 team (Mississippi State) and one to an unranked team (A&M) and one to #15 ranked Georgia. Their worst loss (a blowout) was to Georgia, ranked #15 at the time. Auburn gets ranked #14 in the most recent playoff poll.

If you take a look at the other polls (AP/Coaches), you'll see that Auburn is ranked 14/16 respectively. This is where I start having an issue with the committee's rankings. We all know that the media and coaches polls are based off of preseason rankings. I think we've all agreed that preseason rankings are fairly worthless, and arbitrary. That's the reason we were told the committee wouldn't be releasing a pre-season poll and that their poll would take everything that had occurred, in the first 9 weeks of the season, into account.

If that last part is true, it's a very strange coincidence that the committee ranks Auburn in virtually the same place the other polls have them ranked. At least you can follow the reasoning of the other polls (since they use the preseason poll as a benchmark). The committee's poll looks an awful lot like the other polls. I'm not saying the other polls are wrong, but it just seems strange to me that it played out this way, considering the committee was supposed to go into this without predetermined rankings.

The best way to really show the disparity is to look at Oklahoma. We've lost 3 games; all three to ranked teams. All three to top 10 teams. Two of those games were close, one was ugly. Auburn lost three games; one to a top 10 team, one to a top 15 team and one to an unranked team. Their ugly loss was to 15th ranked (2 loss) Georgia. According to all the polls, but specifically the playoff poll, OU is 7 spots worse than Auburn.

If the committee was looking at the teams with an unbiased eye, and looked only at the games/opponents/score, OU would be ahead of Auburn. I have no doubt in my mind. Instead, I think the committee used the other polls as their own benchmark....which was something we were told they wouldn't do.

There's going to be big time drama when the final poll is released. It will be interesting to see who gets included and who does not. At least this time, I won't have a dog in the fight...which will make it more fun as a spectator.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, there's a **** load of drama in my house tonight over the CFP. Head over to baylorfans.com if you want your fill.

I'm trying to stay calm and not get too pissed until everything shakes out at the end of the season, but I definitely have pulled my pitchfork out of the closet and I'm sharpening it as we speak.
    The whole TCU/Baylor thing is going to be interesting to watch (from an outsider perspective). Assuming both win out and KSU drops another game, it's going to be interesting to see how things play out. Baylor still has a game to impress the committee (KSU), TCU is done (and could lose to Texas). A win over the whorns won't be overly impressive, but a loss would all but kill their chances.

If both finish the season with 1 loss, both would have an argument for a spot...but there's no way the Big XII could get two teams in, because we don't spell our conference with an S. E. or C., otherwise you both may be in.

vCash

The Auburn thing does seem weird, but I can't really argue too much with the top 4 at this point. Assuming Baylor wins out they should end up being the top big12 team; but will they make the show? I think they should pass Miss St. at that point by virtue of being a conference champ. But tOSU is likely out there with the same claim. How conference champs are handled will be the most interesting reveal.

I just can't groan about the OU ranking. I get BU was a loss to a top 10 team, but an elite program should not lose like that to *anyone* on home turf. Assuming we take care of business and end up somewhere in the teens, it will be fair and I don't give a rats a.ss what they do with Auburn. 'Bama may finally pound them to be below us, whatever.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

With Baylor's out of conference schedule this year I don't want them in. Things would certainly be more interesting with OU in the mix. That being said I am completely tired of the playoff talk. I think it has ruined college football. Take be back to pre BCS days or even BCS days. I'm completel7y burnt on on sports "experts" picking the final four.

I realize my opinions are in the minority.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Those rankings have looked fine to me, at least the top 4. I don't get worked up over rankings of teams that are out of contention because it doesn't matter.
    Every week I've agreed with their top 4.
    I still think the BCS rankings should determine the Top 4, but I have no problem with the committee thus far.
    They have clearly stated that winning the conference matters, so that may swap Miss St TCU/Baylor at the end of the season once they have that "conf champ" label. But as of now it's fine.

I think eventually they will have to go with an 8 team playoff - why well it only adds one week to the mix, and then you can take conference champions and then 3 or 4 at large teams to make the 8. With the current system of only 4 teams, there no doubt will be some pissed off teams that might deserve to be there, however with 8 teams, if you are the 9th or 10th, well you simply should have played better. I don't care much for the rankings right now, I think everything is still leaning towards the SEC and the bias aligned with that conference. Fl State hasn't played anyone (week schedule and week conference) but they have won. The unfortunate part of that whole thing is that Jimbo Fisher cares more about wins then character! if I would Coach I would have kicked Winston off the team before the season even started. But I'm venting!!

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The Auburn thing does seem weird, but I can't really argue too much with the top 4 at this point. Assuming Baylor wins out they should end up being the top big12 team; but will they make the show? I think they should pass Miss St. at that point by virtue of being a conference champ. But tOSU is likely out there with the same claim. How conference champs are handled will be the most interesting reveal.

I just can't groan about the OU ranking. I get BU was a loss to a top 10 team, but an elite program should not lose like that to *anyone* on home turf. Assuming we take care of business and end up somewhere in the teens, it will be fair and I don't give a rats a.ss what they do with Auburn. 'Bama may finally pound them to be below us, whatever.
    I'm definitely not arguing that OU should be ranked higher. I think we're right where we belong right now. My concern is that, in future seasons, this could impact OU's chances. Of course we could just win every game and remove the doubt.

I don't think their top 4 represent the 4 best teams in the country right now.

Alabama - Can't argue with Bama being in the top 4. They have one loss (in a close game, on the road), otherwise, they've looked better each week.
    Florida State - Again, it's hard to argue with undefeated. They haven't won convincingly, but they've won.

After those two, I start having some issues:

Oregon - Their wins are decent, but their loss was to an unranked team (at the time). What makes that a "better loss" than TCU's loss to Baylor? I don't have much of an argument against the Ducks being in the top 4, I just don't think they deserve the spot over TCU.

Mississippi State - Again, I don't have a problem with their ranking, just seems like they really benefited from the SEC being so highly ranked pre-season. They have beaten 1 ranked team (Bama). The rest of the ranked teams they beat, are no longer ranked. However, I have watched MSU play, and there is an argument that they are one of the top 4 teams in the country.

I should be clear...I'm not losing sleep over any of this...but, I do find it all interesting.

There will be major blow-back when the 4 teams are announced. My hope is that the response is so loud, they are forced to expand to 8 teams. I know the team ranked #9 will moan that they weren't included...but it's going to be much harder for that team to get external support (being that they are ranked 9).

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercastor View Post
    Those rankings have looked fine to me, at least the top 4. I don't get worked up over rankings of teams that are out of contention because it doesn't matter.
    Every week I've agreed with their top 4.
    I still think the BCS rankings should determine the Top 4, but I have no problem with the committee thus far.
    They have clearly stated that winning the conference matters, so that may swap Miss St TCU/Baylor at the end of the season once they have that "conf champ" label. But as of now it's fine.
    The problem is that the methodology used to rank all teams (including the ones out of the top 4) is the same. My point is that the committee appears to be using the other polls as a benchmark for their poll. We were told they wouldn't be doing that (since we can all agree that preseason polls are very hit and miss at best, arbitrary at worst).

vCash

I think they are considering injuries when they look at the Ducks as they said they would. The Ducks were devastated on the O-line when they lost and Mariotta was getting sacked left and right. They have a couple guys back and the FR are getting better now. I actually don't mind the committee taking this sort of issue into account. I recall Bradford going out on the 1st snap of the TTech game in '07 and that might have been considered in this format. Regardless, my money says the Ducks drop another one anyway due to their defense.

I don't mind Miss St. being 4 now, but they should drop if they don't win the conference which is likely. If there are no more upsets, the biggest intrigue may well end up being the big12 with TCU/Baylor co-champs and BU having the head to head.

Administrator
    vCash

I think they are considering injuries when they look at the Ducks as they said they would. The Ducks were devastated on the O-line when they lost and Mariotta was getting sacked left and right. They have a couple guys back and the FR are getting better now. I actually don't mind the committee taking this sort of issue into account. I recall Bradford going out on the 1st snap of the TTech game in '07 and that might have been considered in this format. Regardless, my money says the Ducks drop another one anyway due to their defense.

I don't mind Miss St. being 4 now, but they should drop if they don't win the conference which is likely. If there are no more upsets, the biggest intrigue may well end up being the big12 with TCU/Baylor co-champs and BU having the head to head.
    You're right, they did say they would account for injuries. I'm good with that.

Well, none of it really matters until the final poll...but it gives us a glimpse into the process.

The TCU/Baylor situation will be intriguing. I'm not sure Baylor wins out though. TCU only has Texas left (and Iowa State).

vCash

I actually have more confidence that Baylor wins out than TCU beating the horns. But I think they both get it done.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not an expert in ANY way....I haven't looked at the whole make-up of it all....BUT...

we went from polls lots of opinions), computer programs...?...to 12 guys? That doesn't seem any better...12 guys that's it?
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    I'm not an expert in ANY way....I haven't looked at the whole make-up of it all....BUT...

we went from polls lots of opinions), computer programs...?...to 12 guys? That doesn't seem any better...12 guys that's it?
    11 guys and a lesbo - NTTATWWT. There is something unique about the committee vs. the polls. With the polls, there is a large body of voters that just mail in their picks individually and it's up to statistics to weed out the biases and outliers. With the committee, you have 12 people that meet face to face and must justify their choices. And they cannot leave until they come to some sort of consensus and there is no tie breaker vote. I'm not claiming that is good, bad or indifferent; just that it is unique from what we've had before.

vCash

This is a good read guys. Thanks for making my lunch break entertaining. lol

I think MSU still being in the top 4 is b.s., but am I surprised? No, we know what conference they are in.

Living down here in SEC land, all the talk shows are saying Baylor or TCU might not even get it if OSU wins out and their conference champ game. Since the Big 12 doesn't have a conference champ game, although the big 12 plays games on that day.

Either way if both win out. I do think one of them will get in. Not sure who. That's going to get very interesting.

Like stated Texas is playing real good right now, they could spoil TCU's hope.
    And we know KSU is no push... Going to be fun to watch.
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

and a lesbo
    Evidence? Never-married-no-kids at least opens the possibility.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerinLA View Post
    With Baylor's out of conference schedule this year I don't want them in. Things would certainly be more interesting with OU in the mix. That being said I am completely tired of the playoff talk. I think it has ruined college football. Take be back to pre BCS days or even BCS days. I'm completel7y burnt on on sports "experts" picking the final four.

I realize my opinions are in the minority.
    ...and MSU deserves in because of their OOC schedule? tOSU deserves in even though their conference schedule is weaker than ours?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    Evidence? Never-married-no-kids at least opens the possibility.
    Don't have any. I just live very near Stanford and all the local lesbians just affectionately call her 'Condi'

Bunch of sec biased crap