Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: ***Coaching changes thread 2014-15 edition***

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    So CSU will ultimately get the $7.5 mil plus a game with Florida, and McElwain coaching the gators against his former employer. I think the rams just negotiated themselves into be-careful-what-you-wish-for territory, because that game could turn into a beatdown of epic proportion.
    I don't think they care about the beat down - just their take from the revenue. Also, CSU played Bama a couple years back and actually gave them a good game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The only thing I can think of with the Mike Riley hire is that Nebraska intends it to be a transitional hire until it finds somebody better. The thing is, I don't see him exceeding Bo Pelini.

vCash

I wouldn't expect Riley to be a big upgrade in the W/L column either. But it should solve the sideline antics and interview embarrassment problem. And who knows, he might end up being what they really want. I don't know anything about Pelini's contract, but NU may want need to recover from buyout before they go looking for a high dollar coach. (If Riley IS high dollar, they messed up).

vCash

I think Nebraska made a great hire if they want to win 7 or 8 games every year.

vCash

McElwain to Florida seems like a desperate attempt at bringing in the new Urban Meyer. The problem is that Meyer had twice the resume at BG and Utah.

vCash

McElwain is a risk, just as Meyer was a risk and Bob Stoops was a risk. You never know how those guys are going to do in a big-time program. On paper, it's a good hire. His name is about the hottest name out there right now.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I don't think they care about the beat down - just their take from the revenue. Also, CSU played Bama a couple years back and actually gave them a good game.
    When you consider UAB, a non-losing program this year, just shut down football, the bottom line is going to become a bigger deal to the mid-majors.

For some schools, that will mean trying to be the next Boise State. For others, it will be massive contract buyouts, big payday for big beatdowns from SEC teams, etc.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    McElwain is a risk, just as Meyer was a risk and Bob Stoops was a risk. You never know how those guys are going to do in a big-time program. On paper, it's a good hire. His name is about the hottest name out there right now.
    Stoops was a risk. I don't think Meyer was much of a risk. He went 17-6 at Bowling Green (with 2 wins against Mizzou, and another against Kansas), and followed that up by going 20-2 with a top 5 ranking at Utah. That's about as safe as it gets when it comes to hiring mid-major coaches.
    Last edited by Eielson; 12/4/2014 at 07:00 PM.

vCash

Only a risk in that you never know how they will transition to the big leagues. Utah was not in a major conference then. It could've ended up being like Hawkins at Boise State.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Yep, CSU played Bama in McElwain's second year there after leaving Saban's staff to go to CSU.

McElwin is not a west coast coach, he came up with good jobs east (Louisville, Michigan State, Bama) and west (Oakland Raiders, Fresno State). I think it's a great hire, if OU had been open I would have been hopeful they would go after him.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I'd like to see what any of the hot shots could do at freakin' Oregon State.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Administrator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    I'd like to see what any of the hot shots could do at freakin' Oregon State.
    Wasn't it Davis that had them built into a pretty solid team a few years back?
    We are here to pistol whip, shoe whip, imprison and torture. We are Phil, Beano, Norm, Dean, David Earl a.k.a. Deacon plus a bunch of ruthless mods. GADOCADWI

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by David Earl View Post
    Wasn't it Davis that had them built into a pretty solid team a few years back?
    Riley has been there 12 years and will have taken them to minor bowls 8 times. Dennis Erickson was the previous coach for a few years and one top 5 team when we won it all. Before that, there was a 20 year bowl drought.

vCash

Riley has been there 12 years and will have taken them to minor bowls 8 times. Dennis Erickson was the previous coach for a few years and one top 5 team when we won it all. Before that, there was a 20 year bowl drought.
    While not Nike Prime, Oregon State is Nike Jr. up there, with redesigned uniforms, redesigned logo and all of the uber style and flash that anyone wearing orange and black could ever want.

meanwhile, nike gives Poke State tron striping and "Phantom Pete"

Administrator

vCash

Yup, it was Erickson I was thinking about.
    We are here to pistol whip, shoe whip, imprison and torture. We are Phil, Beano, Norm, Dean, David Earl a.k.a. Deacon plus a bunch of ruthless mods. GADOCADWI

vCash

If OU were looking for a HC, this is the guy I'd want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Hol...an_football%29

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Kansas to hire ATM's WR coach David Beaty as new HC
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

vCash

Hey look another firing -- Houston wants to find the next Kevin Sumlin I guess

i'll add to the big list

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

"Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Bishop Gorman H.S....isn't that Demarco's alma mater?
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010